mcculloch 1-42 fuel line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All
I Recently acquired a Mcculloch 1-42, after looking the saw over( waiting for a new diaphragm kit) it has a hard and brittle gas line that connects to the carb, however the gas line that is in the fuel tank seems to be ok. I'm wondering if this saw have a two piece fuel line and what size of hose would I need to replace the current one? What would be the best way to replace the old fuel hose.

Actually, I believe it is a 3-piece line: pickup hose, connector tube (in the tank housing wall) and fuel line to carb. Looking into the tank with a light will tell.
Just disconnect the (2) hose(s) from the tube and use replacement(s) of the same size.

Pefire:

I looked at the Mac service manual about your question.
Those 1-40 series saws were made with at least 2 different fuel hose systems. Same is true for the 1-50 and up
Some are one pieces, some 2 piece and maybe even a three piece.
On the one piece the 1/4 inch od hose is a snug fit thru the upper tank body.
Another 2 piece fuel hose model has a barb fitting thru the tank.
All the ones I've replaced the lines on had the one piece and a pair of long nose hemostats that the handles latch together on is very handy for pulling the new line into the tank. A pair of the extra long reach needle nose pliers can also be used and a pair of 90 degree needle nose is good in some places. You should be able to see if yours has a barb fitting at the upper gas tank housing for the two separate line models.
Also they were made with at least two different types of fuel vents. One used a vented gas cap and the other had a non-vented cap and the vent was a line that is inside the top of the gas tank and routed around and it's exit is behind the bar oiler area. The internal vent hose can be seen when looking inside the gas tank. If someone replaced a vented cap with a non-vented type cap on a non-vented TANK you will have some vent issues. A vented cap usually has a aluminum disk in the top and a non-vented cap is solid plastic. Them Plastic gas caps threads can be messed up easily (slightly cross threaded) when re-installing if slightly forced when starting on so keep a heads up about such if one is not re-installing easily. Good vented gas caps are hard to come by at a reasonable price. (non-vented caps are little easier to come by but have to watch out for bad threads)

Latest posts

Back