Mcculloch 1-52 chip clearing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
So i've got an old mcculloch 1-52 which i got a new 24" bar and chain for but now i've got a problem with the chips building up and wedging the chain and locking it up. Anyone else who's had that problem or know how to fix it?

I have quite a few of the older McCulloch saws and have run them with hardnose bars, sprocket nose bars, even roller nose bars and have not had any particular issues with chips wedging in the bar.

What type(s) of wood are you cutting and what type of cut(s) are you making?

Can you post any photos of the jammed chips?

I can say from experience that some types of wood are more prone to plugging the oiler hole, the local soft maples and especially dead one are notorious for this, but even then the chips don't stop the chain.

If it is a new bar and a new chain you would expect the drive links to effectively clear chips from the bar groove. I will assume you are away that the 1-52 is manual oiler only and McCulloch recommended pumping the oiler every 6-10 seconds while cutting.

Mark

I did 4 test cuts on some birch full bar depth against the grain and i mean that shouldn't be a problem, i've cut along the grain with my 18" bar and goten tons of those long string and had them sticking out everywhere but it just kept hogging at it. I didn't take any pictures but i might be able to get some tomorrow

Back