Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman1998

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I have recently bought a 1-62 powersaw and I'm looking to convert it from 1/2" chain to either .404 or 3/8". Really whatever I can get my hands on. I have searched far and wide and came up empty handed so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks. (My reason for converting is 1/2" is expensive for my taste and I'm wanting to go with a 28" or slightly bigger bar) EDIT: I would be interested in purchasing a half life left or better 1/2" chain/bar combo for the saw instead of converting it.

Hello all, I have recently bought a 1-62 powersaw and I'm looking to convert it from 1/2" chain to either .404 or 3/8". Really whatever I can get my hands on. I have searched far and wide and came up empty handed so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks. (My reason for converting is 1/2" is expensive for my taste and I'm wanting to go with a 28" or slightly bigger bar)
404 worked well on my Mac 660 & Homie c91g, not so much on my 895's though. The bigger geardrive Mac & Homies seem to want more tooth. For some reason, the 090g does well with 404 compared to Mac & Homie, I canot figure that one out.

The slower chainspeed of the gear drive saws really need bigger cutters/teeth on the chain, they have the torque to pull it effectively. MY straight 090 does fairly well with .404 but the G models still like the 1/2" chain a bit better.

EBay seller customchainsawparts has the .404 sprockets available for around $30. They are expensive but they are good, durable sprockets. There are several hard nose bar options on EBay as well, I think someone has 34" bars reasonably priced, wide bars with a large nose radius.

Even with 1/2" pitch chain you can lower the depth gauge to .040 or .050.

Mark

Latest posts

Back