McCulloch 10-10 auto to 10-10s conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How possible is it to modify a McCulloch 10-10 auto to a 10-10s? Is it doable? Or are there subtle differences in the casings and cranks between the two that won’t successfully accommodate a 10-10s piston and cylinder swap? Just wondering what it might take. Not looking into doing such a job, just wondering about parts compatibility.

thanks!

The short answer is yes, but there are many details that have to be considered. The McCulloch engineers were pretty clever with parts interchangeability.

Is your 10-10A a right hand or left hand start?

Mark
From overhead, pull starter on the left, clutch bar and chain on the right.

...as far as I remember the difference between the 10 10A & and the 10 10 is that the 10 10A is 54cc and the 10 10S is 57cc

...as far as I remember the difference between the 10 10A & and the 10 10 is that the 10 10A is 54cc and the 10 10S is 57cc
Doesn’t seem to be that major of a difference overall but yeah the 10-10s is a little more peppy.
Right now, I’m working on trying to get the starter rewind tightened and the rope replaced. Might need a new spring, but might just need cleaning and adjusting I ran out of daylight to see what I’m doing and the wife doesn’t want a smelly old chainsaw in the house. Some people have no trouble with that kind of adjustment but it has always been a high stress hassle to me. Not necessarily hard, just stressful enough to make it hard to concentrate. And really frustrating when the spring flies loose! Right in the face! Lol!

Back