Mcculloch 5-10e coil wiring troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to posting on this forum so apologies if this was covered elsewhere. I'm in the process of reassembling a Mcculloch 5-10e and need to put back the condenser lead on the coil and lamination assembly but I don't know on which point to put it on. I should have taken a picture before disassembly but figured the manual would help although the perspective of the diagram in the Shop Manual makes it a bit confusing to figure out where the wires go. The large resistor that mounts on top of the lamination's is missing and the electric start doesn't work. I have to replace the connector on the condenser lead so in the picture the wire is still loose tucked away, and I also labelled each point to hopefully make explaining a bit easier. Since the electric start does not work what wires are necessary to have connected to allow the saw to run correctly?

Attachments

• Coil and Lamination Assembly.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 21
I think you have the ground connected where the points lead should go (you labeled the primary windings 1/2), and the open terminals (3/4) are actually the ground.

View attachment 922266

Mark
Is my labelling of your picture correct? Is the primary lead the same as the field coil housing lead that comes out of the base of the field coil and it splits into 2 or is that 2 separate wires. On my saw I can only see 1 wire coming out of the field coil housing, I'm not sure if there is another I cant see or is missing.
Also I've done some more research and I think the capped green wire in my picture is a replacement of the lead (primary lead/points lead?) that comes from inside the field coil housing, though I haven't opened up the flywheel yet to properly confirm all connections. It seems that the original wire has been cut just past the condenser (you can kind of see it in my right picture). I mistakenly said it was the condenser lead coming out of the field coil housing as they are both green but I realized that the condenser lead connects internally to the breaker assembly.
Lastly I tested for a spark yesterday by attaching the green wire to (3) with the ground wire on (1) to see what would happen and there was spark, why did that work?

Attachments

• Saw Labeled.PNG
    Saw Labeled.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Yes to all, the wire is correctly identified as the field coil lead. The primary lead is tucked away behind the coil.

I suspect if you could see which way the spark was jumping you would find the polarity reversed since the current is flowing the opposite way through the primary windings with your leads as shown. Switch the leads around and you will still have spark but the polarity will be correct.

Mark

Yes to all, the wire is correctly identified as the field coil lead. The primary lead is tucked away behind the coil.

I suspect if you could see which way the spark was jumping you would find the polarity reversed since the current is flowing the opposite way through the primary windings with your leads as shown. Switch the leads around and you will still have spark but the polarity will be correct.

Mark
To confirm the primary lead and field coil lead are 2 different wires. The primary lead is what completes the circuit to send current to the spark plug. The field coil lead is only for the electric start component connecting to the circuit that includes the resistor and batteries and is the wire passing over the condenser, which in my case has been cut?

Yes, yes, and only you know for sure since you didn't post any definitive photos.

Mark
Excellent thanks, this clears everything up. And my bad I wrote that wrong, that lead has been cut that shouldn't have been a part of the question. Anyways, I swapped the two leads like you said, and got the saw running, now on to the next phase towards getting this saw into proper working order.

Latest posts

Back