Mcculloch 5-49 missing parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifixoldjunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
View attachment 1028379
So my birthday is coming up soon and my buddy knows I’m into vintage chainsaws. Somehow he scored this thing for me a mcculloch 5-49. It’ll half run for a minute or two but seems to be fixable.View attachment 1028380
I’ve noticed it’s missing something in this hole here. Would anyone know what it is? Air filter? I’ve read these saws only have a wire screen. I can’t find a choke anywhere would it be part of the choke? Any help or parts lists would be much appreciated. I plan to completely restore this monster.

The air filter goes in that hole. On a few models the brush is attached and you work it up and down to clean the filter.

1667093299820.png

There is no choke, the button near the hole is a primer, the knob is the high speed mixture adjust. The low speed mixture screw is on cover the side of the saw and is actually an air bleed so backing the screw out bleeds in more air making the mixture leaner and vice versa.

20221028_165159.jpg

I have some gaskets and diaphragms available now, but they do not have the metal plates so you would have to transfer yours and attach it with adhesive (I use LocTite 380). I have a vendor working on the plates but nothing is happening quickly.

Mark

The air filter goes in that hole. On a few models the brush is attached and you work it up and down to clean the filter.

View attachment 1028429

There is no choke, the button near the hole is a primer, the knob is the high speed mixture adjust. The low speed mixture screw is on cover the side of the saw and is actually an air bleed so backing the screw out bleeds in more air making the mixture leaner and vice versa.

View attachment 1028431

I have some gaskets and diaphragms available now, but they do not have the metal plates so you would have to transfer yours and attach it with adhesive (I use LocTite 380). I have a vendor working on the plates but nothing is happening quickly.

Mark
Thanks bud that helps narrow it down somewhat. Would you happen to know the part number on that filter? Might help in the EBay search.

Back