McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fellow stopped in yesterday with a Jenn Feng 50cc McCulloch that needed starter work.

View attachment 1169075

With the starter fixed I asked him to start the saw...low and behold it was running backwards? Apparently it fired on the up stroke (as it should) but kicked it backwards and it kept going albeit somewhat lethargic. He switched it off, I suggested he try it again and it was running in the proper direction.

Never say never...

Mark
That's funny because the old ezgo golf carts belt drive ones used to reverse the starter to go in reverse. Then engine was running in reverse. They changed that after a while because you could go as fast in reverse as in forward.

Info on pros and cons of Mac thin rings like on 1-72 type saws and similar would be greatly appreciated. I'm debating on whether the saw is worth repairing or not after the new prognosis of the p&c ☹️ what I thought looked good may not of been. I'm at 90# compression and not enough for it to pop off.

Generally speaking, the thin ring models were hot rods compared to their thick ring counterparts. I have a 1-72 that I have run a bit, I thought is pulled as well as the 066 Stihl that I had rebuilt with a new piston.

I picked up a bunch of saws from Woody Strommen last year (maybe two years ago already???) and was test running this PM610 on Monday when it stopped very suddenly.

20240416_145312.jpg

20240416_145632.jpg

20240416_150717.jpg

I'm guessing the wrist pin and/or connecting rod had been reused too many times and the wrist pin slid over releasing the needles.

It was a shame to loose a brand new thin ring piston, those are getting harder to come by these days.

I found a short block laying around in the attic with 155 PSI compression and used that to make the saw operational once again. Currently residing in my "For Sale" rack.

Mark

Attachments

• 20240416_144939.jpg
    20240416_144939.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 0
Generally speaking, the thin ring models were hot rods compared to their thick ring counterparts. I have a 1-72 that I have run a bit, I thought is pulled as well as the 066 Stihl that I had rebuilt with a new piston.

I picked up a bunch of saws from Woody Strommen last year (maybe two years ago already???) and was test running this PM610 on Monday when it stopped very suddenly.

View attachment 1170561

View attachment 1170563

View attachment 1170564

I'm guessing the wrist pin and/or connecting rod had been reused too many times and the wrist pin slid over releasing the needles.

It was a shame to loose a brand new thin ring piston, those are getting harder to come by these days.

I found a short block laying around in the attic with 155 PSI compression and used that to make the saw operational once again. Currently residing in my "For Sale" rack.

Mark
Yea I was told that my 1-72 thin ring saw with low compression needed to be rebored and a larger piston was needed. Such a cool looking saw.

Back in the Mac game. Took me a while to find a bigger Mac I could afford. But got this guy off evil bay. Doesn't run, I didn't have time last night to mess with it much. Compression feels good. Gas just floods out of the carb. Didn't check spark either. Overall it's in decent condition.

Attachments

• 20240417_161222.jpg
    20240417_161222.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back