McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of file format does the Cricut require? My daughter has one but so far she has only produced items that she was able to download ready to go.

I am trying to decide if I will go with a Cricut type machine or go all out and try to get a home owner laser unit.

Mark
JPEG works best for me (I scan the gasket, or if possible the part, and draw the new gasket using SolidWorks and save as a JPEG). You need to have a good reference for resizing them though. I draw corner reference markers so you can accurately resize width and height. You also need good contrast (my drawings are plain white background with a black image). Unlike an engineering machine, like a laser cutter, which cuts on any line, the Cricut works by keeping space. I tried using DXF files like any engineering machine to start with. It loads them, but is a pain.

I was deciding the same as you. If you only cut up to 1.5 mm the maker with the knife blade is good and no burning smell.

Here are some files for you to test. If cutting in 0.8 mm the fine point blade set as 'poster board and more pressure', for 1.5 mm use the knife blade with '1.5mm Matboard, less pressure'

Tank gasket image is 185x120 mm and the carb gasket is 52x63 mm

Scans saved as PDF's should provide exact 1:1 images.
I always scan a steel rule at the same time so the drawings I are 1:1 when I make them also. It seems that the Cricut software resizes things on you though. The reference I mean is for correcting inside the Cricut software. It only allows to set overall width and height of your image (no measurement of key points and scale).

Well folks,I had a little time to "play" with the Super 44A again.The oiler didn't want to work.By the smell of the old oil,or should I say glue,was terrible.I found some oil that was diluted quite thin with kerosene (mostly kerosene) & dumped that in the oil reservoir & started with some thumb action.It took a while,but eventually it was pumping like it should.

I was expecting a flat back carb,but it has a Tillotson HL19D on it.After letting the wick soak for 24 hrs.I thought it'd be saturated well with fuel,enough to start & possibly run,but it was a no go again.I was going to pull the tank cover & see what would be involved with pulling the wick out & converting it to a conventional fuel filter.After I got all the screws loose,it dawned on me that I'd have to disconnect the choke & the oiler buttons.I decided it'd be easier to pull the carb for a rebuild,Lol.

There's something that kinda baffles me on this saw & that's that there isn't a carb screw adjustment grommet on it.I don't see any way to adjust the needles on this carb.Come to think of it,I don't even remember seeing any needles on that carb.

What kind of file format does the Cricut require? My daughter has one but so far she has only produced items that she was able to download ready to go.

I am trying to decide if I will go with a Cricut type machine or go all out and try to get a home owner laser unit.

Mark

I think mot scanners work beat with SVG files (Scalable Vector Graphics file).
PDF files can be converted to SVG files.

I've used cutters that our local libraries have Silhouette cutters. I believe the library had software within the Silhouette system to convert pdf files I made from parts scanned on a flatbed scanner.

PDF to SVG converter software is available online

Some interesting videos of the Cricut Maker out there on YouTube with one guy definitely leaning toward the SVG format. Looks like you can pick one up for around $250 US if you shop a little. Would need to make a boatload of gaskets to make buying one worthwhile, ( if that was its only purpose), but cool to know they're out there and *relatively* affordable.

Some interesting videos of the Cricut Maker out there on YouTube with one guy definitely leaning toward the SVG format. Looks like you can pick one up for around $250 US if you shop a little. Would need to make a boatload of gaskets to make buying one worthwhile, ( if that was its only purpose), but cool to know they're out there and *relatively* affordable.

Handy as well for making templates to replace the lettering on saws. and bars.

Looks like you can pick one up for around $250 US if you shop a little. Would need to make a boatload of gaskets to make buying one worthwhile, ( if that was its only purpose), but cool to know they're out there and *relatively* affordable.
So... you're saying we need to all group together and buy one to make Mac gaskets for everybody?

I gotta say, the saw seems like a nice runner but your mustache completely stole the show. There are very few people with an honest to goodness 'stache around my neck of the woods so seeing one is highly unusual. Back on topic, what wood were you cutting? HVBW?

I had some fun with the Super 44A today.I went to pull the carb & saw that someone else had been too cheap to go to the hardward store & buy a 29 cent fuel line clamp,they took a copper wire & wrapped it around the fuel line & twisted it tight.Now here I am,God knows how many yrs.later trying to unwind the wire.It was not an easy feat,but the carb is off the saw.I understand completely why the poor saw refused to start & run,even on a prime.I've pulled a lot of carbs apart in the 3 1/2 yrs.I've been working on saws & tearing carbs apart,but this one by far gets the Hardest Diaphragm Ever award.I could hear it crackle as I pried the cover off the carb on the fuel pump side & the same thing on the metering side.I never knew a diaphragm could get so stiff.Not to mention all the dirt & sawdust in the inlet screen.

Mark,you said the needles were on the side of the carb.I've never seen needles that were flush with the carb body on an HL carb.

I'm assuming an RK HL88 kit will do the trick?

Back