McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it had some scoring that was too deep. Bob j sent it for me. I was under the impression it was send it, they machine it then rechrome it then send it back. Apparently not the case. I personally didnt think it was all that bad. But the chrome place said nope. I couldve likely honed it smooth in 10 minutes. I could just feel with my nail the score marks. They said it was too deep. Bob was pretty surprised also.
Well I have to question what exactly their service is then ? Because I was under the impression that the cylinder would be bored then rechromed ? Are they coating over the old chrome? Spot chroming?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, did they offer to buy the old cylinder off you or Bob?

Anyone seen Tinmans 850 exhaust? Looks pretty awesome. Might stick out a little far but should flow well
I watched a few minutes of it to see the muffler, I think it will sound good. Some have said the PM800s huge muffler was the best flowing muffler because it had the room to absorb the cylinders exhaust discharge with hardly any restriction and the outlet was basically a screen. I personally didn't like the fact that it was a gaint heater under the motor but in my climate that would be detrimental .
The original 850 muffler might have the tapered bolt in it but its only got 1 90° angle to exit , tinmans has 2 90s ,so that might cause the exhaust to reverberate in the short tube defeating the purpose of the modification . Rarely do you see 2 bends to exit without a large expansion chamber in between them.
I sure it will be loud and that will be enough for his audience, even if it doesn't perform well.

The 10-10 saga continues.This saw is kicking me arse.I was told that the "big round cover" for the carb was the bracket to use - not.I ended up using a modified Y bracket that was used on the early 10-10A & it works perfectly.Got vthat thorn in my side out of the way,so it was time to put fuel in & fire it up - not.It had spark,but it seemed to be weak.I took a compression test & it had 150 psi on 8 pulls.I figured it must have dirty points or a weak condenser.I pulled the flywheel & the points box cover off to find the points were soaked in oil from when the oil/kerosene mix ran out of the tank due to the gasket not being on.So,cleaned up the points & regapped them at .018,put it all back together only to find it had no spark at all.The condenser must've crapped out.Tomorrow it's getting a chip.

Yep… here’s the cylinder

If its not too bad above the exhaust port you could probably run that. I've got a 7-10 with chrome missing and it actually still runs really good. Sure it doesn't have the balls of the nice ones it still pulls a 20 buried really well. Its got patches like that above the port

Well I have to question what exactly their service is then ? Because I was under the impression that the cylinder would be bored then rechromed ? Are they coating over the old chrome? Spot chroming?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, did they offer to buy the old cylinder off you or Bob?
I was under the same impression as i truly believe bob was. I went thru bob because he offered and i like the guy. He makes me smile. But apparently they do not bore it out. I was dissapointed but not upset. Hard to get upset at a guy whos trying to help out. They did not offer. They sent it back to maryland new york. I paid bob the shipping and went about my day. I have a cylinder for an 850 that was rechromed. It resides in a complete saw and runs fantastic. It came from a member here.

I need a favor from someone with a 1-70. I need a picture of how the points are set up. Mine are not behind the flywheel, some models where according to the ipl. Im getting really close to putting gas in this thing but gotta get every detail right before I try. Just slowly pulling on the cord to move the piston and wow, the compression is up there. I am still debating on cutting another gasket for the fuel tank or going the motoseal route.

McCulloch Cross Reference Question:

I am getting closer to having to tear into this McCulloch Super 797 in order to free up a stuck piston. Problem is, I am very limited on Small Engine Mechanical Skills.

The other problem, is that I have not been able to find a Service Manual (other than the Clymer snippet & IPL List). I was curious, maybe there is another McCulloch Model that is very similar to the Super 797…which does have Service Manuals available?

Question: Does anyone know which models are very close to the Super 797?

Thank You

McCulloch Cross Reference Question:

I am getting closer to having to tear into this McCulloch Super 797 in order to free up a stuck piston. Problem is, I am very limited on Small Engine Mechanical Skills.

The other problem, is that I have not been able to find a Service Manual (other than the Clymer snippet & IPL List). I was curious, maybe there is another McCulloch Model that is very similar to the Super 797…which does have Service Manuals available?

Question: Does anyone know which models are very close to the Super 797?

Thank You

A non super 797:)

Yank it apart man its just a chainsaw

Vinny,FWIW,I'd try the other rechroming outfit if I were you.I know you're frugal with your money (a polite way of saying you're cheap,Lol),but how much does the shipping cost for a cylinder,$15 at most? (one way) IMO I think you got screwed by US Chrome.I knew there were 2 companies in the U.S.that did rechroming.I know that Mac made pistons that were .010,.020,&.030 over for certain saws just for the purpose of keeping them running.It seems to me that a .010 over piston would more than suffice for the minimal damage to that cylinder,that is provided you can get a .010 over piston for that cylinder.I think there might've been a guy who was either new on the job,or someone who was just having a bad day,but where is quality control in that instance?
This story goes back about 50 yrs.My dad had a couple of rotors for his car that needed to be turned,so he took them to our local NAPA shop where they did some machining services.They said his rotors were "too far gone & couldn't be turned".He took them to another NAPA a couple of townships away & told them he needed to have the rotors turned.They mic'd the rotors & told him to come back the next day.The other NAPA was able top turn the rotors without a problem.My dad wasn't a guy to take things lying down,so he went back to our local NAPA & asked them why they told him they couldn't turn the rotors,but he took them to another NAPA & they were able to turn them.The local NAPA store owner didn't have an answer.My dad figured that they just wanted to sell him a new set of rotors,they were not cheap back 50 yrs.ago.It might be worth your while to get a 2nd opinion.

U.s. chrome is not taking cylinders at the moment. They need to get caught up on their contracts…I just received an email from them stating this.

Latest posts

Back