McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly… I might hold on To it for a few months and see what happens. One might show up
Yes,one might show up,but you might have to pay more for a new cylinder rather than getting one rechromed..I also found out on another forum that you can no longer send a cylinder for rechroming as an idivual,you must now go through a dealer,& Bob J.told me that the cylinder must be sent with the piston that will be used in it.Just a heads up..

US Chrome will bore and replate to fit the piston. If the scratches require a larger bore than the supplied piston will accommodate then you are a no go. Maybe that is what happened here.

I don’t think they will weld a cylinder - at least not iron ones like my kart saw.

Ron

Admittedly he did grumble on the phone about a blind cylinder but still said yeah can do it. I had a RM125 that a hole had formed and was eating out the alloy from behind the plating well yup no worries he welded it in and bored it. I've still got the cylinder here actually. That was 500nz so 350US but still cheaper than a new or unobtainium cylinder.

They used to weld, but don't any longer. My guess is they no longer need to for their current business model. It seems as though they're also trying to weed out a certain segment of the do-it-yourselfer market. Understandable to some extent based purely on their crazy growth in the powersports field.

Their website is fairly informative for those who may be interested..

And they're only 15 minutes down the road from U.S. Chrome. Gotta be an interesting story there somewhere..., and probably a few lawyers. Could explain a few more things.
Lots of new things come from a resentment, lol.
I know the laws for chrome services are incredibly expensive and restrictive the area could be more lenient due to grandfathered laws.

Well,the 10-10 didn't need a chip after all.I was begionning to think the coil went bad & was getting ready to pull it when I found the points wire had become disconnected from the back side of the coil.I plugged it back on & lo & behold it had spark again!
Now I've got 2 more issues with the saw,1)it isn't pulling fuel on it's own.It'll run on a prime,but that's it.2)there's clanking going on with the pawls & clutch drum.I thought by replacing the drum that it might solve the problem because the old rim was worn out.I was told that the pawls should both point inward toward the nut,but they seem to get hung up on the clutch & can't point far enough inward.I have 3 clutches like this & they're all the same.I saw another one on Feebay that looks the same.
Also,I'm in need of about a half dozen clutch drums for upcoming projects.I can't seem to find a current part # that's a 3/8 pitch & 7T.I'd like to get new drums if possible,but when they want $30-$45 each forget it.I'd be OK with GOOD used ones,but the pics they put up don't show the wear on the rim.I've contacted a couple sellers,but they can't tell me if the drums are 3/8 or .354.

Little update on the 1-70. I cut a gasket for the tank and did some assembly. It has the old wick style fuel filter. I did a lot of searching and asking so instead of $45 for a filter on ebay I took a stab at cutting my own. I still have some small detail stuff and final assembly but here are a couple pictures so far.

Attachments

• KIMG1456.jpg
    KIMG1456.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210918_165318.jpg
    IMG_20210918_165318.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210918_181038.jpg
    IMG_20210918_181038.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210918_181116.jpg
    IMG_20210918_181116.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 11
New rings and seals. Honed cylinder, you name it and its probably done. I'm waiting on some nice paint brushes to detail in yellow the embossed mac logo on the filter cover. I am debating on fabing a muffler or buying a stack, the oem was missing.
@Dave P 71801 has a bunch of n.o.s. parts, maybe see if he has a muffler cover.

I don't know what's going on with my 10-10s.I tried starting 2 of 'em today & I had one running real nice for a short time,then it developed a skip in the ignition.I figured since the plug got hot it probably was nearing it's life's end.I put several different plugs in the saw & only got a pop once.I checked the spark & it's nice & blue,so the points should be good,but the condenser could be shot.
The other 10-10 wouldn't fire at all & that spark was orange - yellow,so weak there.That one probably needs to have the points looked at.It's getting to the point that I'll have to put chips in all these old Macs eventually as their condensers die.

Back