McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the site and I have a question regarding a PM 610 that I "inherited" from a friend. I haven't taken it apart yet, the only obvious thing is that the starter rope is detached from the flywheel. My friend stated that he hasn't used the saw in 2 years.
I would greatly appreciate any replies regarding whether it is worth the possible effort and expense of Rehabilitation...
Many Thanks from a newbie..!!
They're not as classic or sexy as many Macs and they're a heavy brick, but they go and go. As Mark said the starter rope should be an easy fix.
My 610 is my only saw currently running properly and reliably, until I get my classic sexy ones up and running!

Well gang,I let the wick in the 1-70 soak all night & half of today.It'll still only run on a prime,so I guess it's in the carb after all.Good thing it has a Tilly HL in it,I have some kits on hand for rebuilding.

The 1-75 had no spark,but really good compression.I had to take the recoil off the 1-70 & put it on the 1-75.It doesn't quite fit right on the 1-75,but good enough for checking spark.I ended up pulling the points out of the 1-75 for a good cleaning,they were tarnished pretty bad.They're all cleaned up nicely now & I'll see about putting them back in tomorrow along with a known good condenser.That's my last condenser till I pull some out of a couple mini macs I have laying about.

Captain Jack - The 600 Series saws don't get a lot of love from many guys but they are not bad saws if the compression is O.K....ideally 150+ PSI. The starter rope is an easy fix as the whole starter comes off with 4 screws and the rope can be replaced without taking the pulley off the starter. If there is a lot of dirt/oily sawdust in the starter it is probably worth taking the pully off to give it a good cleaning. If you remove the pulley carefully the spring will stay in the housing.

Mark
Mark - Thanks for the reply and advice. Although it doesn't get a lot of love, I'm looking forward to have it up and running !!

I had ten minutes after wrapping up a few customer jobs tonight to briefly mess with the 550. It runs on bottle fuel but won't pull fuel and the flatback primer is leaking.
I have a couple rebuilt HL63s here. Probably gonna throw one of them on and see what we get.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Regarding the PM 610 - I received the Operator's Manual ( from Roy B. and it was stamped with "Do not use Regular Unleaded gas" - Is this suggestion referring to using higher octane ( greater than 87 ) or possibly ethanol - free gas instead ??

In addition, am I correct that if using SAE 20 oil to mix with the gasoline - that the ratio is 20 to 1 ? The manual states the ratio if using "McCulloch Lubricant is 40 to 1 ratio...I'm guessing that the Mac Lube is not available - is there a substitute ??

Any suggestions on obtaining the optional "Spike Kit" for the 610 ??

Many Thanks !!

Regarding the PM 610 - I received the Operator's Manual ( from Roy B. and it was stamped with "Do not use Regular Unleaded gas" - Is this suggestion referring to using higher octane ( greater than 87 ) or possibly ethanol - free gas instead ??

In addition, am I correct that if using SAE 20 oil to mix with the gasoline - that the ratio is 20 to 1 ? The manual states the ratio if using "McCulloch Lubricant is 40 to 1 ratio...I'm guessing that the Mac Lube is not available - is there a substitute ??

Any suggestions on obtaining the optional "Spike Kit" for the 610 ??

Many Thanks !!
High octane and ethanol free if you can get it. 40:1 or 50:1 mix with any off the shelf non marine engine two stroke oil should suffice.

I've always used ethanol free fuel on my saws with a fuel stabilizer.I also use Amsoil at about 60:1.You can use a good 2 cycle oil as long as it's been approved by JASO & others.Don't use oils that come from WalMart like their Tech brand.Stihl & Echo also make good 2 cycle oil.With those oils you can safely run your saw at 50:1.
The spike kits can be found on eBay from time to time,or sometimes members here make them & they do a really good job too.

Yeah I've seen tests that rank both 4 cycle and 2 cycle Super Tech oils very good. Walmart doesn't have an oil factory, somebody reputable probably makes their oil. They can sell it so cheap because of volume. Even though I say that I don't buy it, mostly cause my local Walmart is a zoo to go in, so I buy elsewhere.

The last I knew the WalMart crap wasn't approved by JASO or anyone else.Look at the labels on your 2 cycle mix & you'll see.I've still got a bottle of that stuff that I used only in my golf cart when I had it (sold it in 2015).They're your saws fellas,do what you want.In the end how much are you really saving?

Any modern two stroke mix oil at 40:1 will be a good solution. Don't use motor oil as it will have detergents and other additives that will eventually foul a two stroke.

McCulloch normally recommended against using leaded fuel, but in later years noted regular leaded or unleaded fuel. By that time there was so little lead in the fuel there was little risk of "lead balls" forming on the spark plug electrodes. They also generally recommended 87 octane, higher octane fuels do not have more energy, they simply resist pre-ignition which is not a problem in most two cycle engines with factory compression ratios.

Spikes are almost always available in eBay, the same spike fits the Pro Mac 10 Series and the 600 Series saws.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333744438188?hash=item4db4b7fbac:g:NvsAAOSw13Zc2DGs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324693223518?hash=item4b9939685e:g:pQ0AAOxyOlhS8Z5j
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351924187494?epid=1900723515&hash=item51f050f166:g:Ey0AAOSw2xRYQgOR
Mark

And yet there are people out there who are using 104 octane boost in their fuels & insisting that they're getting "more power".I guess you can lead a horse to water,but you can't make him drink.Some folks just can't see the forest because the trees are in the way..(I could go on,Lol)

I've got a question about the 1-75.I don't know what the terminology is,so I'll try to explain it as best as I can.On the 1-70 & Super 44A there's what I'd refer to as a governor flag.It sits right next to the coil on the left of the coil & works off the carb.Maybe this is referred to as the governor vane? Anyway,I'm trying to figure out if the 1-75 is supposed to have one & mine is broken off?I couldn't find it on the IPL (I couldn't even find one on the 1-70 IPL)I'll see about getting some pics on here tomorrow to help explain it.

Back