McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spring end isn't bent down enough to catch in the slot I think.
Correct. It's probably weakened considerably at the original bend as the ends of the spring are softer sections for the purpose of bending according to early service manuals. You may want to just heat it up and reshape it from scratch beyond the original bend point. Retain the coil with a pair of zip ties before removing it. Secure it in a vise and heat the end until glowing red to bend it back into the correct shape with a pair of needle nosed pliers and quickly quench for hardness.

Minimal spring lubrication is suggested (a light coating). There should also be a keyed shaft bushing for each end of the housing. This is from an 1-40/50/60 shop manual which describes servicing what is essentially the same assembly, though the Super 250 appears to use a permanent pressed in bushing. The one in the pics clearly has a keyway, so maybe it's an earlier assembly?

Not great...

That may clean up surprisingly well by media blasting. I've had similarly ugly cases blasted with perfectly acceptable results.

That may clean up surprisingly well by media blasting. I've had similarly ugly cases blasted with perfectly acceptable results.
I think it would. It looks very nasty but it isn't that deep (hard to believe with what has fallen off it) and the tank is healthy on the outside.

What media did you use?

I had so much fun yesterday with the RH start recoil rebuild that I hunted up another recoil to go through.This one got a new nylon bushing & new drum.It'll have a new handle (grip) too.After doing a couple ,they're kinda fun to do.This one was so full of oil & grease that I had to let it sit in very hot water & Dawn dish detergent.It came out nice & clean.The spring is in & the drum is on,I'll finish it up tomorrow.

I had so much fun yesterday with the RH start recoil rebuild that I hunted up another recoil to go through.This one got a new nylon bushing & new drum.It'll have a new handle (grip) too.After doing a couple ,they're kinda fun to do.This one was so full of oil & grease that I had to let it sit in very hot water & Dawn dish detergent.It came out nice & clean.The spring is in & the drum is on,I'll finish it up tomorrow.
The one on my mystery Mac needs that treatment! A little white death going on too but not too bad. Going to do some experiments with junk parts some day on neutralizing that curse to humanity.

A friend does it for me and uses some type of glass media.
This. I've blasted out a few that look that bad or worse (holes all the way through, patched with JB) but it'll look great when it's done. Always a nice silvery smooth finish, and bead blasting will get down into the cracks and crevices and dimples left by the corrosion. I use glass beads (standard blasting media) but I also did a tank coating on some of them after the fact.
If you're going to leave it raw and you have someone that's into blasting, might want to consider something like baking soda or walnut shell so you don't risk glass media remnants getting into the cylinder. Or pressure wash it after and make sure you have a good filter. :)

Cut the end and used some mapp gas on it to get it bent enough quenched with soaking wet rag. Took two tries, first time I got it way too hot and was brittle, second time heated just enough to bend. Seems to work but have to locate an outer cover to really know if its gonna last.super250 recoil spring bend.jpeg

Anybody know of any place selling the clutch side spacers p/n 86958 and the clutch bearing p/n 110971 for Mac 10-10A ? I am having the devil trying to find them

Anybody know of any place selling the clutch side spacers p/n 86958 and the clutch bearing p/n 110971 for Mac 10-10A ? I am having the devil trying to find themYou should try
You should try this man. He has no cell phone or computer. Has to be by phone.

Bob Johnson of Bob's Lawnmower & Engine Service in Maryland ,N.Y.

He's open from 9:30- 12:00,closes for lunch, then comes back from 1:30 - 4:30. Monday to Friday only

(607) 638-9297

Here are some pics of the rebuilt RH recoils I did over the past couple days.The one recoil doesn't have the adjuster screw & nut in the pic,but I found a nut & screw & put it in.
I came across an adjuster screw & nut (pin) for a Homelite SEZ & the screw is long enough.I'll just betcha that if I did a little grinding on it,it'd fit & work great.It does fit in the adjuster slot in the housing.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 7
You should try this man. He has no cell phone or computer. Has tp be by phone.

Bob Johnson of Bob's Lawnmower & Engine Service in Maryland ,N.Y.

He's open from 9:30- 12:00,closes for lunch, then comes back from 1:30 - 4:30. Monday to Friday only

(607) 638-9297
I bought my short block from him. Will reach out thanks.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day last Saturday in North East Tennessee. No MAC action for me, I spent six hours at the range with a county inmate dragging the prior Saturday's stems out of the woods.

Nice day to be inside today. High winds and rain. The morning was spent sharpening 16 chains, tinkering with the wood stove and other miscellaneous matters.

Afternoon found me in the garage with the SP40 on my workbench (a municipal issued garbage can). I found no leaks in the tank. The o ring wasn't very tight nor was the hose connection. After trying NAPA and Lowes, I ended up at Ace and bought a faucet o ring assuming it was rubber. Nice snug fit for the o ring and an okay fit for the fuel line after trimming the end. While trying to install the fuel line, I accidentally knocked the fuel tank off the bench with the bar. It busted big time when it hit the garage floor. Gas went everywhere. So, I removed and cleaned up the fuel tank from the 110 that Brian gave me. Put everything back together and filled it with fuel just to have a big-time leak from somewhere internal. I am just going to park the SP40 for now.

I then turn my attention to the 800's pinched bar. I have pinched and seriously bent several bars over the years and have always fixed them without much trouble, but I have never pinched or bend a Stihl bar until two Saturdays ago. I didn't think I was ever going to get the pinch open but finally did after a lot of hammering and prying.

Next project was the 800's chain brake. It seems that I am the only one on this forum that has issues with MAC's brake. If not, please speak up and share your fix, if you have one. The principal culprit for me is the pivot pin for the latch works loose which allows the latch to fire like it was on a hair trigger. In the past, I have replaced the pin and/or notched the lever among other things with little success trying to fix the problem on various chain brakes. Today, I took a different approach and took the pin out and dented the sides of the shaft with a chisel and I attempted to mushroom the end with a center punch. I then reinstalled it. It appears to be tight. Time will tell.

Be Safe,
Ron

Got one cut with roadkill with its new bar......... then ran out of gas. Can empty too. 5 gal cans for mowers empty too!! Grrrr. My fault I guess.
On the bright side it made that one cut great so problem solved I believe. The bent bar was a doozy. Straight as can be on the bottom edge , near 1/4” gap to the straight edge on the top. I guess getting ran over by a truck loaded with wood could do that!!
No wander it seemed to get in a bind on bigger logs.
Trying to muster the energy to flush the oil tank tonight to see if that helps the auto side of the oiler. Kinda beat tho so it may have to wait.

Latest posts

Back