McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of mine, this is before the swap to a 14 in bar, I'll try it out this week and see how well it does, still runs like hell

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_135004601_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_135004601_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I found out the rim stuff a few days ago. I had to pull the Oregon large-spline drum off my 10-10 so I could run an 8 pin on my 5-10, I still have a few spare small rim setups kicking around, but no spare rims.
I bought a 10 pack of small if you want, I'll drop one in the mail.

I bought a 10 pack of small if you want, I'll drop one in the mail.
I"ve got a few spare rim/drum setups kicking around (and no functional Macs at the moment), but I appreciate the offer. To make myself sound better, my 5-10 runs like a champ but the oiler button won't pop out unless I pull on it, so I think I put the wrong oiler rod on it when I swapped the tanks. On the bright side, I figured out it wasn't a 5-10 A after my 3rd re-tensioning of the chain! :omg:

I"ve got a few spare rim/drum setups kicking around (and no functional Macs at the moment), but I appreciate the offer. To make myself sound better, my 5-10 runs like a champ but the oiler button won't pop out unless I pull on it, so I think I put the wrong oiler rod on it when I swapped the tanks. On the bright side, I figured out it wasn't a 5-10 A after my 3rd re-tensioning of the chain! :omg:
Been there done that buddy, you’re not alone!!

Been there done that buddy, you’re not alone!!
That wasn't my proudest day, especially when I looked at the chain I spun up at 10:30 p.m. I needed to add another driver anyways so it wasn't a total loss, but between the oiler and the chain I still felt pretty foolish.
IMG_9666.JPG

This is some 7-10a porting **** LMAO
Yes I checked the timing before and after also matched all gaskets intake spacers Carb and muffler inlet it’s gonna be a Ripper!

Attachments

• 02CE3BC1-048D-4399-A394-6BCAAA9E0B33.jpeg
    02CE3BC1-048D-4399-A394-6BCAAA9E0B33.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 9C6CDDE3-9775-47EA-AFA1-DB2D5C7573AF.jpeg
    9C6CDDE3-9775-47EA-AFA1-DB2D5C7573AF.jpeg
  • 36DEEC6E-0727-4CFD-868F-9289A17F6A2D.jpeg
    36DEEC6E-0727-4CFD-868F-9289A17F6A2D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 75287CF7-9F4D-41DE-8725-21B049C28813.jpeg
    75287CF7-9F4D-41DE-8725-21B049C28813.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 631276B6-076D-41EB-AB7A-0C4D2B2F647E.jpeg
    631276B6-076D-41EB-AB7A-0C4D2B2F647E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • C29698D8-95E0-49C8-AFD1-D1D05DFA6725.jpeg
    C29698D8-95E0-49C8-AFD1-D1D05DFA6725.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • BB7D41A1-FC1F-4B91-B85A-8F64F932E3E4.jpeg
    BB7D41A1-FC1F-4B91-B85A-8F64F932E3E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • F9C9FD48-8E73-428C-A29D-3048D36D2A29.jpeg
    F9C9FD48-8E73-428C-A29D-3048D36D2A29.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • B0F4634C-31BB-4048-B2DC-D397ABDE0AA4.jpeg
    B0F4634C-31BB-4048-B2DC-D397ABDE0AA4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 6DA8C1D4-2ECF-4898-A854-D1B53DB41CCE.jpeg
    6DA8C1D4-2ECF-4898-A854-D1B53DB41CCE.jpeg
I'm gonna use the LRB piston with Caber rings since the LRB rings are tapered just like Caber rings. I know there is 3 different transfer types.
Numbers I finished with .050 squish intake duration- 124degrees exhaust duration-159degrees blowdown-22degrees

Thanks Pogointhewoods Your pics are much better than mine. I would like to do the 3 finger Iron bore with a .030 piston and set the squish at .020 maybe weld up a pop up on also

Speaking of mac projects. I have been working on one for quite some time now. Id like to tell you all about. It is really exciting for me anyway. This will be a long post and likely warrant some questions. So several months ago i was discussing at work to a new aquaintence about my chainsaws. The guy is a picker and loves engines. He is a motorcyclist, dirt bike, mini bike rider rebuilder but most importantly at work a turbine mechanic/machinist and his true passion is machinist work. If its broke ill just make the part he says. Good ol boy type personality. So, i was discussing some issues with macs and my favorite 82cc saws. Of which are the total lack of cylinders for scored ones and the cost of replating one. So...if you see where this is going?!!!! He says to me. I want to help you. I said go for it. So i gave him 2 junk cylinders to do whatever he wanted. He went to his shop and began measuring and thinking. Well, after further discussions and some literature i loaned him he had a plan of attack. I visited his shop and we worked out a plan. The first cylinder was completely destroyed for this project. Sacrificed for the sake of repairs. Then i had to fund the build which i agreed to up front. So together we had a fix. A cast iron sleeve for the 82cc saws!!!! It took a lot of trial and due to his personality, little error but a sleeve was made. Next it was put into a hogged out cylinder of a sp80. Then i went to pick it up and it was up to me for testing. Hell yes i say!!! So, i built a 82cc mac saw of parts i had. Most importantly the engine. The rest looked like a used saw. So i got this cylinder on an oil tank, new seals, new intake boot. Nova chip for ignition and to mention a 92519 B piston. Very important that i used a B from the start. Since the A and C pistons are not available. Also since ive succesfully used a LRB 92519 and they are available. Anyway, i spent several hours getting my parts together and 2 evenings putting together the puzzle. Saturday morning was go time! Crossing my fingers and fresh fuel mix.....i started to pull it over slowly just to listen and feel...all seemed good. Then i yanked it like a stolen saw. Great compression and then it popped!!! I thought...its gonna light off. Low and behold the darn thing lit off!!!!! Not only that, it sat and idled with very minor carb adjustments. I could not distinguish it from any other saw to be honest. I reved it easy and let it idle awhile, while i called my new best friend to let him listen. Next was to shut it off and restart. No issue at all. Then to get it hot. Off to the woodpile and it idled all the 200 yards to get there walking with no issue. Then e few small cuts. Seems great. Then bigger cuts..running strong. Next was a horrible noise and sluggishness. Shut her down!!!!! Tear it apart and find the sound....the sleeve moved. Darn it. My buddy says bring it to me. With a bit of fixing he hands it to me a few days later. Mind you very little damage to anything. Slight mark on the piston. Not major, ... so back together it goes. Same scenario, starts and idles great. He assured me that sleeve aint moving this time! so i said im running it. Off to the pile. After a full tank of fuel and seriously hard running , it worked with zero issues!! Fellas, i have a sp80 cylinder with a B piston in it , inside of a cast iron lined cylinder, that runs like a scalded dog!!! This cylinder was total garbage to start. Deep scores and lots of chrome damage. It is now brand new. It runs cuts very strong and is a new engine! I cannot type my excitement enough. This guy made a cast iron liner and put it in a 82cc sp/pm cylinder successfully. He asked me to tear it back down so he could take measurements after i ran it again so he has my cylinder. Ill get it back tomorrow hopefully. Hear his assesment and rebuild it. I have a few pictures and a short video of this project to share. I did ask if hed be willing to help others out and he said yes. Now, i am in no way selling this or marketing this project. I asked for help he tried it and prevailed. So i am simply telling you all with complete and utter excitement that it can be done and was done and i tested it. A cast iron lined super pro 80 saw exists. The transfer cut out he did and mapped is actually for the sp81 and pm850. He has 3 cylinders of mine to sleeve next. A sp81, and 2 pm850 cylinders. It was great to be involved and watch this happen. I truly hope he can help others with their 82cc saw cylinders.

Well big 10 i hope it runs good for you!! That stuff is always fun.

Ditto. By all means keep us posted.

Many have said there isn't much to be gained by grinding on Mac cylinders aside from cleaning and matching the intake and exhaust ports. I'd say you're about to find out. LOL

The real bag o' snakes is which piston and rings combo works best with which cylinder design. That subject is a little more complicated to nail down than sorting out the pistons and rings themselves.

Speaking of mac projects. I have been working on one for quite some time now. Id like to tell you all about. It is really exciting for me anyway. This will be a long post and likely warrant some questions. So several months ago i was discussing at work to a new aquaintence about my chainsaws. The guy is a picker and loves engines. He is a motorcyclist, dirt bike, mini bike rider rebuilder but most importantly at work a turbine mechanic/machinist and his true passion is machinist work. If its broke ill just make the part he says. Good ol boy type personality. So, i was discussing some issues with macs and my favorite 82cc saws. Of which are the total lack of cylinders for scored ones and the cost of replating one. So...if you see where this is going?!!!! He says to me. I want to help you. I said go for it. So i gave him 2 junk cylinders to do whatever he wanted. He went to his shop and began measuring and thinking. Well, after further discussions and some literature i loaned him he had a plan of attack. I visited his shop and we worked out a plan. The first cylinder was completely destroyed for this project. Sacrificed for the sake of repairs. Then i had to fund the build which i agreed to up front. So together we had a fix. A cast iron sleeve for the 82cc saws!!!! It took a lot of trial and due to his personality, little error but a sleeve was made. Next it was put into a hogged out cylinder of a sp80. Then i went to pick it up and it was up to me for testing. Hell yes i say!!! So, i built a 82cc mac saw of parts i had. Most importantly the engine. The rest looked like a used saw. So i got this cylinder on an oil tank, new seals, new intake boot. Nova chip for ignition and to mention a 92519 B piston. Very important that i used a B from the start. Since the A and C pistons are not available. Also since ive succesfully used a LRB 92519 and they are available. Anyway, i spent several hours getting my parts together and 2 evenings putting together the puzzle. Saturday morning was go time! Crossing my fingers and fresh fuel mix.....i started to pull it over slowly just to listen and feel...all seemed good. Then i yanked it like a stolen saw. Great compression and then it popped!!! I thought...its gonna light off. Low and behold the darn thing lit off!!!!! Not only that, it sat and idled with very minor carb adjustments. I could not distinguish it from any other saw to be honest. I reved it easy and let it idle awhile, while i called my new best friend to let him listen. Next was to shut it off and restart. No issue at all. Then to get it hot. Off to the woodpile and it idled all the 200 yards to get there walking with no issue. Then e few small cuts. Seems great. Then bigger cuts..running strong. Next was a horrible noise and sluggishness. Shut her down!!!!! Tear it apart and find the sound....the sleeve moved. Darn it. My buddy says bring it to me. With a bit of fixing he hands it to me a few days later. Mind you very little damage to anything. Slight mark on the piston. Not major, ... so back together it goes. Same scenario, starts and idles great. He assured me that sleeve aint moving this time! so i said im running it. Off to the pile. After a full tank of fuel and seriously hard running , it worked with zero issues!! Fellas, i have a sp80 cylinder with a B piston in it , inside of a cast iron lined cylinder, that runs like a scalded dog!!! This cylinder was total garbage to start. Deep scores and lots of chrome damage. It is now brand new. It runs cuts very strong and is a new engine! I cannot type my excitement enough. This guy made a cast iron liner and put it in a 82cc sp/pm cylinder successfully. He asked me to tear it back down so he could take measurements after i ran it again so he has my cylinder. Ill get it back tomorrow hopefully. Hear his assesment and rebuild it. I have a few pictures and a short video of this project to share. I did ask if hed be willing to help others out and he said yes. Now, i am in no way selling this or marketing this project. I asked for help he tried it and prevailed. So i am simply telling you all with complete and utter excitement that it can be done and was done and i tested it. A cast iron lined super pro 80 saw exists. The transfer cut out he did and mapped is actually for the sp81 and pm850. He has 3 cylinders of mine to sleeve next. A sp81, and 2 pm850 cylinders. It was great to be involved and watch this happen. I truly hope he can help others with their 82cc saw cylinders.
Wow wow wow!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Back