McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So guys in light of the engine failure...so sorry for your loss but it can be repaired. Those who have been following my sp81 assembly...this is the last video i have so far. I will make another one day if i get a day off. Ill say i really enjoyed the project as with all of them. I like taking them apart and putting them together. I hope you enjoyed it. I did.

Great series Vinny! This helped me out a bit on getting my 850 back together too,Not finished yet though,Lol.

Ed - the best way I've found to clean out those tanks is to fill them about 1/2 full of BB's and rotate it slowly to let them rattle around in there and knock everything loose.

I currently have a face plate I made that chucks in the lathe so I can spin them around 30 RPM for an hour in each direction but I've also done it by attaching them to a piece of plywood with a dowel attached and turning them with a drill.

This happens to be an SP125 but all of the SP tanks are put together with epoxy and work the same way. I did take one off an SP70 apart years ago but ended up having to put inserts in for all of the screws.

20201127_155517.jpg

Sometimes it does such an effective job of getting all the corrosion out that you end up with holes in the tank. On a few I had to put some tape on the outside and pour some JB Weld in and let it cure before going with the Red Kote treatment.

Mark

Sometimes you just have to share...

I noted a few pages back that I had brought home my older brother Ray's collection of saws as his cancer has progressed to the point that he is divesting all of his mechanical possessions so his wife and daughters won't have to deal with that when the time comes.

On Saturday I received a call from my younger brother Ed's doctor that I needed to get to the hospital in Wausau, WI as quickly as possible as he is not expected to last much longer. He's been diabetic since age 6 and in the last couple of years has had several bad infections that have gotten into his blood. He recently broke his shoulder (dogs on a leash) and turned an ankle but had an infection in his foot that had gone too far. They amputated the foot and ankle but the infection has spread throughout his body affecting his heart, lungs, kidneys, and clots causing at least two strokes. I am here now waiting for space to clear in hospice where they will move him when possible.

2010 GTG in Grantsburg, WI at the JD Glover (Grandpatractor) place. Ed on the left, Ray on the right, and McCulloch saws to keep it on track.

DSCN1054.jpg

Mark

I noted a few pages back that I had brought home my older brother Ray's collection of saws as his cancer has progressed to the point that he is divesting all of his mechanical possessions so his wife and daughters won't have to deal with that when the time comes.

On Saturday I received a call from my younger brother Ed's doctor that I needed to get to the hospital in Wausau, WI as quickly as possible as he is not expected to last much longer. He's been diabetic since age 6 and in the last couple of years has had several bad infections that have gotten into his blood. He recently broke his shoulder (dogs on a leash) and turned an ankle but had an infection in his foot that had gone too far. They amputated the foot and ankle but the infection has spread throughout his body affecting his heart, lungs, kidneys, and clots causing at least two strokes. I am here now waiting for space to clear in hospice where they will move him when possible.

2010 GTG in Grantsburg, WI at the JD Glover (Grandpatractor) place. Ed on the left, Ray on the right, and McCulloch saws to keep it on track.

View attachment 1008363

Mark
Good thoughts and memories we all turn to them , God bless

Ed, they are not meant to come apart. There are actually 4 screws. The screws are self tapping fine thread screws. Some heat may aid ya but yes its epoxied together as well witha gray goop. I did once get one apart but man are they in there. Sealing it back together is the next issue.
Yeah what Vinny said... I did an 8200 tank once... I got it apart with MUCH effort. Sealed it with Motoseals "best" two stroke sealant. it leaked in a week. Finally just Red Koted it. should have just done that to start. made a small leak a bigger leak.

So guys in light of the engine failure...so sorry for your loss but it can be repaired. Those who have been following my sp81 assembly...this is the last video i have so far. I will make another one day if i get a day off. Ill say i really enjoyed the project as with all of them. I like taking them apart and putting them together. I hope you enjoyed it. I did.

Vinny,
Great video series, you did very well with it! Congrats on the SP 81!

View attachment 1008363

Mark
SO Sorry Mark! I hate you are having to experience this. Hardest thing a man can have to do is watch someone close to them suffer while he can do little to nothing to fix it.

Mark,I lost 2 brothers early in their lives.The 1st brother I lost was in 1982 when I was 23,he was only 13.It happened in a freak hunting accident & it pretty much tore my parents apart.The 2nd brother I lost was in 2004.I was a bit older then,but he was only 41 (leukemia).It truly sucks to lose your brothers,those were your buds with whom you grew up with.I hope their pain is minimal ,& yours too Mark.

I just need to clarify that I'm not trying to save the tank for the 850.I believe it's beyond being saved.The only reason why I inquired about taking it apart was out of principle.I want to no good so & so who sold me the saw to see the inside of the tank.I I have to use a sawzall to cut it in half,then so be it.

Back