McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as most here know, for months now I have been focused on getting the building ready for Bob Johnsons parts. well yesterday I decided to see if I remembered how to fix saws. My neighbor and my Dad's high school class mate gave me a 10-10A a while back. he said the small engine shop he took it to years ago said the compression was to low for the saw to run correct. So yesterday I checked it out...compression good, spark good. I pulled carb and threw it in the ultra sonic. I put in a kit today and Vroom! runs fine. I cant believe some of the small engines shops and the apparent lack of knowledge. Sad really. I am going to offer the saw back to the original owner as he is a friend and neighbor and stated he loved the saw.

On a side note I talked to Joan (Bob Johnsons live in partner) she said they disconnected the phone to Bobs shop last week. Its officially over. I was hoping he would get back in the shop and tinker with the parts he still has (which are a lot). Joan said Bob is developing memory loss issues. It's sad, ending of an era. So much knowledge leaving us.

Max
It's a sad day indeed to hear that Bob's shop is officially shut down,but I suppose it was inevitable that it would eventually happen.I too was hoping that Bob would've gotten back into his shop selling parts again.It's just not the same with not being able to talk with Bob while ordering parts.Bob is a piece of Americana who kept the old saws running for a long time.I keep in touch with Joan to see how they're doing (via email).I know Bob will be 83 in Feb.

It's sad, ending of an era. So much knowledge leaving us.
Or on a more positive level..., such a wonderful guy unselfishly imparting so much knowledge to so many among us as he rides off into the sunset.

And he ain't gone yet.

Now where'd I put my keys....?

Yeah some of them use a idle screw in the airbox that pushes on that flat area on the throttle outside of the carb. Others like the sdc 65 are like your carb.
Thanks for clearing that up.
You learn something new every day.

My secret code...EXT or External adjust for the idle means the adjustment screw is outside the carburetor, located on the airbox itself.
I assumed an external adjustment screw would still involve a jet that screws into the carb.... my bad.

I finally got the 24 in.chain for the 5-10 today.It's stamped 72 on the DL which indicates it's an .050 gauge chain,but it acts like it's an .058 chain.The bar is an .050 gauge as well.I've been working the chain in the groove & it's getting better.The Stihl chain that was too long didn't have any problems like this.Wondering if the chain was stamped incorrectly?Here are pics of the saw.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks good ed. Ive run into that with an nos mac bar. It was nothing more than paint. After a few cuts and lots of manual oiling because i didnt know what it was, it quieted down and turned smoothly. Not saying thats it in your case or any other case but it was for me.
That was my initial thought,but things don't quite add up.The 84 DL Stihl chain fit perfectly.I bought the bar & chain on Amazon,never had a problem with buying there before.The DL won't even fit into the groove unless I work the chain manually to "break it in".I've got about 2/3-3/4 of the bar groove "cleaned out",but it's quite difficult at the end of the bar.Maybe sandpaper in that tail portion will be better.

I sold this SP81 to a local tree service guy some while back. He dropped it off this week saying it seemed to be starving for fuel in the cut. I checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong, fix a few other problems, and decided to test it myself. I'd say it runs and pulls just fine, that is a gnarly oak log I've been using for test purposes. Cut your cookies thin to preserve material.

20221202_105132.jpg

Mark

I finally got that pesky chain to run smoothly in the bar groove on the 5-10.I just kept working the chain till it moved freely.Probably should've worn gloves while doing so,only minor cuts on hands.This bar must've been left in the paint vat during lunch.I've had bars that had paint in the groove before & I can usually just use the bar plate (it fits perfectly) to scrape on through & it's good to go,not this one.The DLs wouldn't even fit into the groove unless I tapped on the cutters.Once the bar & chain were mounted I was able to move the chain on the bar freely.Fired up the saw & gave it some oil & all is well.Just needed some elbow grease.

I sold this SP81 to a local tree service guy some while back. He dropped it off this week saying it seemed to be starving for fuel in the cut. I checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong, fix a few other problems, and decided to test it myself. I'd say it runs and pulls just fine, that is a gnarly oak log I've been using for test purposes. Cut your cookies thin to preserve material.

View attachment 1037063

Mark
I can't wait to get mine running and give it a try. I had a faller friend, since passed on, whose favourite saw was the SP81. It was his continuing interest in these saws, when nobody at the time wanted them, that got me interested in McCulloch saws.

So as most here know, for months now I have been focused on getting the building ready for Bob Johnsons parts. well yesterday I decided to see if I remembered how to fix saws. My neighbor and my Dad's high school class mate gave me a 10-10A a while back. he said the small engine shop he took it to years ago said the compression was to low for the saw to run correct. So yesterday I checked it out...compression good, spark good. I pulled carb and threw it in the ultra sonic. I put in a kit today and Vroom! runs fine. I cant believe some of the small engines shops and the apparent lack of knowledge. Sad really. I am going to offer the saw back to the original owner as he is a friend and neighbor and stated he loved the saw.

On a side note I talked to Joan (Bob Johnsons live in partner) she said they disconnected the phone to Bobs shop last week. Its officially over. I was hoping he would get back in the shop and tinker with the parts he still has (which are a lot). Joan said Bob is developing memory loss issues. It's sad, ending of an era. So much knowledge leaving us.

Max
Max,
It is a heavy hearted task you have taken on. I am sure though that Bob is grateful that someone has taken the reigns for him and all of us old timey saw buffs. He is a fountain of knowledge for sure. Keep us informed of your progress as many parts are needed to keep our saws eating.

I am In TX for work. I awoke to a txt that my uncle Gray (my saw mentor) is in the hospital. They are talking hospice if he doesn’t improve in the next 12 hours. If you believe in such things we could use some prayers and good energy. It sucks being 1500 miles away from him right now.

Max

I am In TX for work. I awoke to a txt that my uncle Gray (my saw mentor) is in the hospital. They are talking hospice if he doesn’t improve in the next 12 hours. If you believe in such things we could use some prayers and good energy. It sucks being 1500 miles away from him right now.

Max
Send all the best 🙏 for ur Uncle .

this thing was apparently well taken care of or just used little. all I had to do was wipe it down with a rag. runs like a top and the inside of the fuel tank is pristine yellow paint. was looking for one that had nice original paint. nothing to do on this one. don't know what to do with myself :crazy:
View attachment 1035304View attachment 1035305View attachment 1035306View attachment 1035307View attachment 1035308View attachment 1035309
Trying to latch on to one here for $50.

Back