McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tricky?When it comes to those spring loaded needle extensions I eliminate them if I can.They're the biggest PITA on a saw.If I tried putting them in like you say Vinny,I'd be bald from tearing my hair out,& I rather like my hair,Lol.

Well the sdc37a carb on the 5-10g is staying put. It does run smoother and Is more responsive off of idle. Now i have a fully adjustable carb for another project. Win either way. I also put a 24" hardnose bar on it. Looks happier.

So ive got my machinist friend making a part for me and anyone else that may be interested. These and other gear drive saws are pretty limited on drive sprockets. He is making a rim drive to fit. That way there are plenty of options for the gear saws. Once its tested, ill post pictures and results.

Yesterday my son & I went to my older brother's to cut up his pile of logs that had been laying there since 2017,they were still solid,except for the smaller logs that were on the ground.Within 2 1/2 hrs we had it all cut up ( guesstimating 4-5 cords).We had the Stihl MS310,Mac PM 700,& PM 55.The chain started getting dull on the 700 when we were about 2/3 done,so I fired up my son's PM 55 & it ran great for about 3 cuts & then suddenly just died & wouldn't restart.I'm figuring the condenser took a dump.I'll check it out later.
I checked his MS290 & the plug wire was off,but even after putting it back on it wouldn't fire up.I pulled the plug & it was dry as a bone,so definitely a fuel delivery issue.I left my MS310 there for him to use till I get his 290 up & running again.Probably not my wisest decision,Lol.

Ray - Here is the "General Service Information" for the SP80, the only thing I could find that is specific to the 82cc anti-vibe saws.

63084 is the first 10 Series workshop manual McCulloch released and focuses on the early, rigid models including the gear drive and electric start saws and the Bullfrog carburetors. Even so, it contains a lot of very good information

I don't believe I've ever seen 211456, if I ever encounter a copy I will certainly snag it.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch - General Service Information - SP80.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Speaking of gear drives. Today i spent a bit getting a g70 ready to test a rim drive sprocket. I got the .404 8 tooth off and discovered i had a 28" bar for a homelite that mounted up perfectly. Its a windsor bar with a 3/8 sprocket tip. Looks really good on it. Now ill just wait for the drive sprocket. Gonna go with a 8 tooth first and also try a 7 tooth. All i had to do was elongate the adjustment hole a bit on one side only to expose the groove for oil. The other side was already open. Not by a file either. It still had the gray paint in the adjustment hole. Heres a picture of it.

20230129_134640.jpg

The PM 55 that I had cobbled together for my son a couple of months ago was an easy fix today.I pulled the plug to see if it had any spark & it didn't I looked at the plug & found a piece of debris stuck in between the electrode & ground strap.Cleaned it out & it had great spark.The saw fired right up after putting the plug back in.

Back