McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day today in North East Tennessee with a low around 24 degrees and the Chinese spy balloon predicted to pass over our area today. With that in mind, Brian and I did our best to confuse and entertain prying eyes. Our secondary goal was to gather logs for the lot.

As usual, Brian arrived with his Chinese side by side packed full of American yellow. I'll let that irony soak in with the spy boys. First order of business was using Brian's 1010S to narrow the 6” by 6” ends of the wood bunks on my log wagler (½ wagon ½ trailer). The MAC cranked in the 20 degree weather on the first pull and just ripped as always until it came to a sudden screeching halt. We both thought it had thrown a chain but we quickly discovered that it had sucked my outer shirt into the flywheel through a hole in the sawdust shield. Brian had to help me take off my shirt to get it out of the 1010S. Some intelligence officer may be scratching his head (and more importantly distracted) at the sight of two seemingly unintelligent hillbillies.

After we got the trailer assembled, we pulled it up the hill loading random logs as we came upon them. We used the 1010S when necessary to shorten or remove a missed limb. Things were going too well so we decided to retrieve a small white oak that was just over a rock outcropping. The cold made unreeling the tractor winch too difficult for the two of us so we hooked it to Brian's side by side which he promptly and intentionally drove off a rock face with both rear wheels see air as he nosed it down to the earth below. After much effort and more 1010s work, we had the tree sectioned and on the trailer. It didn’t take long in the soft dirt for the front axle of the loaded trailer to sink leaving only about 2” of tire showing. As our misadventure would have it, the trailer tipped against a large tree. Try as we might, the ground was just too slick for the 420C to get enough traction to muscle the trailer passed the tree. I only managed to sink the trailer deeper until Brian came up with a successful solution of wrapping the tractor winch cable around the load of logs and lifting the sunken side off the tree.

We debated the soil conditions and various options of how to get the loaded trailer down the hill. We decided to experiment with going slow down the first short stair step. Using the blade as a brake worked well enough to keep things reasonably under control. However, gravity got its revenge by overcoming the mounts and sliding the bunks forward changing the load center to the point that the wagler’s rear tires were airborne. We left it skyward for another day when we will unload and more securely affix the bunks.

Hopefully, if in fact the balloon passed our way, all our shenanigans kept the spy boys too busy laughing that they missed any footage of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Given the supposed foreign surveillance, to frustrate any tracking I threw my iPhone in the washing machine with my muddy clothes when I got home. There are no pictures with this post so I guess that tactic worked.

Be safe,

Ron

My plan is to buy them all from him once completed. I had to buy him a reamer for that I/D size and a broach for the keyway. I will definately not need many of them so once i get them ill let everyone know and itll be a first come first serve. If theres a demand for more ill have him make more. No big deal. Im here to help us all out not to make money. If i run out ill ask him to make more. No big deal.

I could use a couple as well.

Did the balloon bust? That might have been the strange boom we heard, Could have been Ron shooting at it. I was preoccupied with trying to keep side x side on all 4 wheels. I did not notice him having a gun.

Sense Ron was trying to clean his iPhone, here is the only pictures I got today.
1675567603400.png

1675567665964.png

Brian

So I bought 4 20" Sugihara bars in big husqvarna mount ,they were used pretty hard and in various states of bend and broken sprocket tips.
Holzfforma has very similar tips for their own barz at about 1/4 the $ . They offer them in both 3/8ths and .404 .
20230205_112216.jpg
20230205_112229.jpg
I used a spring steel figure 8 for a stud spacer and plunge cut the bar stud hole from the rail with a dremel disk for oiling .
20230205_112401.jpg20230205_112406.jpg
As stated the af tips are close but there's a small gap when finally mounted. They had two small ears that need filed off .

20230207_082238.jpg

Well her is the finished product. This is the 2nd one. I got the first one yesterday and put it on the G70. It took a little effort to fit it. As far as fitting over the pto shaft it was perfect. As for the key i had to file it down slightly to fit. It took some time. Id file the test then file then test fit. I want it to fit perfect, plus fitting 2 hands in behind that oil tank is no easy task. But i got it mounted up and started the saw. It ran fine and the chain moved as it was designed. I used a 3/8 pitch 8 tooth rim. Worked fine and i ran it for several minutes. Just sitting on the ground. If i get home early enough today im making several cuts with it. The one pictured is going to be put on my 5-10g tonight and ill be putting either a 24 or 20 inch bar on it. Also 3/8. Overall it fits and functions as it should. As long as it doesnt break when i cut its gonna be perfect. Ill report back any issues. Not expecting any though.

Hi guys another question on the 550. I had some issues figuring out the correct spark plug. I read somewhere J8C was correct but after installing, it seems a bit long. It fits but the starter housing has a rubber cover right where the plug boot sits and they touch. Is this normal? It had a CJ8 in it but I never trust what the previous owner ran.

Thanks. Jason.

Hi guys another question on the 550. I had some issues figuring out the correct spark plug. I read somewhere J8C was correct but after installing, it seems a bit long. It fits but the starter housing has a rubber cover right where the plug boot sits and they touch. Is this normal? It had a CJ8 in it but I never trust what the previous owner ran.

Thanks. Jason.
I believe that originally the saw used a J8J which is even taller than the J8C.A CJ8 is definitely not the correct plug.If the plug wire has a boot on it all is good,it can't ground out.The rubber cover is for access to the plug & keeps debris out.

Latest posts

Back