McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this troublesome Super 10-10 that I just couldn't get running no matter what I did.A couple of weeks ago I started swapping everything over onto a different short block.Today I finally finished it up by putting the carb on & it's now a runner.It's not oiling quite the way I'd like it to though.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 0
On yet another note.....I received the PM605 today that I bought 2 weeks ago.The front handle & part of the rear handle were bleached white from sitting in the sun.I thought I'd have my hands full with this saw.I took the chain brake off & cleaned out the hardened sludge,pulled the plug out - it looked to be a fairly new Champion DJ8J & put a prime in it & put the plug back in.I didn't expect much,but it fired.Next I tried to get the fuel filter out to have a look,but it was so big I couldn't get it out of the tank.I figurerd screw it & put fuel in & had the saw ruinning in 3-4 pulls.Had to step the idle up a bit.I couldn't believe the saw ran! There is an issue with the manual oiler - the button wants to stick.I don't know if someone bent the rod,or if it's not the correct rod.I've had an incorrect oiler rod on a PM610 recently.I'll check it out more tomorrow & should have some pics as well.

Nice job Jethro! I'm assuming you didn't have to get into the carb?
No I thought ahh will give it a go and a fair few primes and a heap of pops and then finally it wanted to run. Had to keep choking it for a while but slowly but surely it started to pull more n more fuel n seems to run pretty good now.

Haven't checked the oiler yet. Need an air filter and fab up a muffler cover

No I thought ahh will give it a go and a fair few primes and a heap of pops and then finally it wanted to run. Had to keep choking it for a while but slowly but surely it started to pull more n more fuel n seems to run pretty good now.

Haven't checked the oiler yet. Need an air filter and fab up a muffler cover
And here I thought you had confronted your fear of points,Lol.

Mark,or anyone else for that matter,does the newer plastic body maual oil pump require a disc?I pulled the PM10-10 apart today & there was no disc under the pump.Of course the saw had been into before me & I found a couple of things that weren't done properly.One was the lock plate was missing on the duct style muffler,the other was the lock plate tabs that hold the tank handle on weren't bent over to lock the bolts in place.

Another sure fire way to avoid a ton of aggravation of putting a new oil line in is to cut the line in half,then put a barb connector in the line,easy -peasy (don't worry Mark,I didn't cut the new line I just got from you,Lol).

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
Be sure to look through your parts Ed, I put an aluminum check valve disk in with the oil line.

What a brilliant solution to a most difficult task, I will certainly keep that in mind the next time I need to replace one of those oil lines.

I moved a new project onto the workbench today. Any guesses?

20230531_153618.jpg

20230531_153626.jpg

20230531_153639.jpg

20230531_153646.jpg

Mark

Thanks Vinny & thank you Mark! FYI the barbed connector is a Poulan part,I don't have the part # handy,but I'll be sure to keep you all informed.
Yes Mark,I have that disc handy! It could very well be the culprit as to why the saw was sidelined.

Mass panic at the Kern ranch. Went to cut the other day and my favorite 700 quit. Started great like normal, set it down to warm up for a second and it just suddenly died like someone hit the switch. No stumbling around , loading up or anything just purring nicely one second, dead as a door nail the next. Hasn't even tried since.
Not had time to pop covers off but I'm praying for a grounded out coil wire or something easy. I love that saw!

Latest posts

Back