McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon - Did you have the piston out of the SP70? Is there a chance you put it together with the piston turned around? The skirt is wider on the intake side than the exhaust side and if it is turned 180 degrees the narrow exhaust side piston skirt will not close off the intake port. If that is the case you have to completely disassemble the saw but rather than pressing the wrist pin out to turn the piston around, disconnect the connecting rod from the crankshaft and turn it around; this avoids any unnecessary pressing the wrist pin out and in.

Mark
Hi Mark, no I did not have the piston out of the saw at all. Of course someone before me could still have done like you describe. I mean the saw was in a rough condition.

Chainsaw carbs are not difficult,trust me as I was very doubtful of myself.There are people here who can help you through the process.All you need to do is ask.
Hi Edju, Okay fair point, and thanks. I have a can of carb cleaner. That stuff is pretty toxic, and I'm sure it would melt my paint, so definitely I need to take the carb off the saw. I have a carb kit, so I guess I can just go ahead to disassemble the carb. Do you or others have any tips, dos and don'ts for this?

I never even had a clue there was an orientation without an arrow. It sure would explain all the problem including fuel getting spit out the carb when it revved up. And the difficult starting

Hi Edju, Okay fair point, and thanks. I have a can of carb cleaner. That stuff is pretty toxic, and I'm sure it would melt my paint, so definitely I need to take the carb off the saw. I have a carb kit, so I guess I can just go ahead to disassemble the carb. Do you or others have any tips, dos and don'ts for this?
Yes take the carburetor off the saw, and disassemble the it .
You have a kit so replace all the parts on your carburetor as you take them off and clean them.

yep, next weekend project.
There's just one thing to be careful about & that's when you go to take the screw out that holds the metering lever in.Hold your thumb on the lever so you don't lose the spring that's under it.Once the screw is out you can gently take your thumb or finger off the lever & it won't get launched into orbit.

The saw I grabbed off Ebay showed up today, not in terribly bad shape, looks like it may have sat in a sunny windowsill or something, the paint is quite faded. It also saw a fair amount of moisture, there is quite a bit of corrosion in the fuel tank and it looks like some actual water sitting on the bottom. It is indeed a 450, so now I have 2, but this is in better shape than my other one.
Here are pictures.
3b33b27987e138d1c14e34ddc2d840b9.jpg
d0f9403b5cbb4558fe8db864a86a0652.jpg
38d9c36be7c7c69c5a0091c86139419b.jpg
c8ebb12543c920efba63ef048e56cd41.jpg
532be72ac0de59719491af2ecf4ff904.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The saw I grabbed off Ebay showed up today, not in terribly bad shape, looks like it may have sat in a sunny windowsill or something, the paint is quite faded. It also saw a fair amount of moisture, there is quite a bit of corrosion in the fuel tank and it looks like some actual water sitting on the bottom. It is indeed a 450, so now I have 2, but this is in better shape than my other one.
Here are pictures.
3b33b27987e138d1c14e34ddc2d840b9.jpg
d0f9403b5cbb4558fe8db864a86a0652.jpg
38d9c36be7c7c69c5a0091c86139419b.jpg
c8ebb12543c920efba63ef048e56cd41.jpg
532be72ac0de59719491af2ecf4ff904.jpg

Nice looking Mac450. Just going to give it a clean up or go right through everything ?

JUstin

What appears to be a pretty nice Super 44A just sold on eBay for a reasonable price. I didn’t bid because someone on this thread had already bid on it. Did ‘ya get it? Hope ‘ya did.
Yes,I got the Super 44A! Thanks for not bidding against me! I can't believe it didn't go for a lot more than it did.I'd call $117.52 more than reasonable.Normally I get outbid on those saws.

Interesting Kevin - the saw appears to have 400 stamped in the block, lined out, and 450 below. Not remarkable the the model changed in production, but I have never heard of a 400 before. Obviously your new saw is quite rare and unique and probable worth $15,000.

Mark

Interesting Kevin - the saw appears to have 400 stamped in the block, lined out, and 450 below. Not remarkable the the model changed in production, but I have never heard of a 400 before. Obviously your new saw is quite rare and unique and probable worth $15,000.

Mark
Holy crap! Now I have to look at my 450!

Mark
I noticed that too Mark....... I wondered what might be going on there lol.
I'm gonna say $20k [emoji12]

Why is it that the seller almost always describes the saw as "rare",even when it's no?.If any collector is buying the saw they know what's rare & common.The Super 44A I just bought had that word in it's description too.I don't know how common the Super 44A was,but I'm sure it isn't rare after all the ones I've seen sold on Feebay.

Why is it that the seller almost always describes the saw as "rare",even when it's no?.If any collector is buying the saw they know what's rare & common.The Super 44A I just bought had that word in it's description too.I don't know how common the Super 44A was,but I'm sure it isn't rare after all the ones I've seen sold on Feebay.
Because when theu add the words "rare" or "collectible" it automatically doubles the value. If they also throw in "barn find" it then triples. [emoji849]

Back