McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you recall Jethro,I did this on a couple of 2-10s about 2 1/2 yrs.ago.I did just like you said,poke the rod into the manual oiler pump & line it all up & drop a screw down.Every time I go to drop the screw down the damn tank moves on me.I had a helluva time back then & I'm still having a helluva time.At this point I'd rather work on a Homelite any day of the week,so much easier to work on.If this keeps up you might just see a flying 10-10.

Well I dunno man :(

I don't believe in creating more work than is necessary.I just took the advice of a couple other guys here & put some RTV sealant on the gaskets to hold one to the tank handle,the other to the engine & then the insulator to the one on the engine.On the 2nd try I got the tank handle in place & the bolts put through in the center by the carb first,then the rear bolt,then the front tank screw.Made sure the manual oil rod was in place & snugged 'em all down.I've found that when things aren't going very well to walk away,cool down & come back the next day & things practically fall into place.
I think someone must've drilled the hole in the reart of the saw & put a toggle switch in.I'd like to know if anyone has an idea as to how to plug it to keep debris out?
I hope to rebuild the carb tomorrow (possibly) & give the aftermarket fuel line a couple wraps of Teflon tape.I had to put a different pull handle on it because the original handle was tearing apart.
The saw is getting there!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 8
What size hole is that ed?

Ive used a spring finger plug for carb adjust plugs on the bigger saws. Just find one the right size.
I'd have to measure it Vinny.After writing the last post,I gave it some thought & I think I might have the perfect solution (if the bolt is the correct size).I have some small carriage bolts that came off a small mini dish that should be just right.I'll use one of those & make a washer out of an inner tube.That should seal it up nicely.Maybe when I'm finished I'll have the only Mac saw that gets 4D TV,Lol.

Hello all. Im well on my way with the 1-70 restoration. Im having difficulty identifying the proper kit for my carburetor. It's an HL 19D. I downloaded several data sheets from tillys sight but cant find anything on this one. Does anyone with experience with these know what I need?

Attachments

• IMG_20180502_162806549.jpg
    IMG_20180502_162806549.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG1451.jpg
    KIMG1451.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 8
I see you already ordered it but when I fixed my 1-70 I got a kit from dicarbparts. They include the manifold gaskets and everything. They do a great job putting these kits together and are always real prompt. Pretty much every kit I get is through them now. I think I have the exact same carb. Yours looks nicer than mine.

Here's a link to their ebay listing in case anyone wants to take a look https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillotson-...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
b7bdc2943e7f6070f3057202f3111cd3.jpg
62467f4b7c9826c09ade67b433d32524.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I was looking at that one, the $35 made me hesitate. I dont mind at all cutting gaskets but if this does not work out ill go to that one.
I thought the same thing at first. I used a buna-n material for the tank gasket. Motoseal probably would work but I use Dirko or Yamabond first.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I do have the Permarex ultra black on hand also. I started this project about two years ago, set it aside in a box and started back last weekend. Im going to have to fabricate a muffler, make an air filter and pray the ignition works. I painted the air filter cover but the black and clear i used didn't agree so I will be re painting that. I ordered the decal to go on it. Honed the cylinder, caber rings, Nachi c3 bearings, CR 6372 seals. The .404 rim sprocket looks really good. New rope for the recoil and a novice paint job. Here is the progress thus far.

Attachments

• KIMG1451.jpg
    KIMG1451.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 7
The 10-10 is coming along.Today I replaced the fuel pump on the SDC37,the rest of the carb still looked good inside.So that got installed with a bit of difficulty.Trying to have both linkages stay on while trying to line up the carb bolt holes is a real PITA! Then I was told that it uses the round air filter cover bracket,I've got plenty of those.The thing is that when I go to put the air filter cover on it doesn't line up correctly.It looks like I need to remove about 1/4 in.from the front of the bracket.I also gave the fuel line a couple wraps of Teflon tape & reinstalled that.I found a pair of bar plates while looking for the air filter cover.I would've tried starting it,but I need to mix up some 2 cycle fuel.I found a bolt to plug the hole in the rear of the saw.Not exactly what I was hoping for,but it did the job.

Back