McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purple power and/or Super clean does a very good job of cleaning old, nasty, gummed up air filters. Soak/saturate for a few min then rinse out with hot water. Tooth brush to loosen the really nasty stuff. Repeat if nessasary if hella caked on. Final wash in dish detergent. Air dry.
this has worked well for me on many, many of the filthiest of air filters when Dawn and compressed air are just not even up to the task at hand.

Haven't posted in a while, but its been very, very quiet as far as saws go here. Almost nothing of interest has popped up for sale locally. There was a poulan 5200 but it went in a few hours.

Did get to work on this 440 recently. Swapped in a Tilly HL from a 250, put on a 3/8 pitch rim and got it all dialed in. Need to get a chain for the 32" Oregon bar and then i'll test it out.
Runs good so far.

20210929_181431.jpg
This is the first one I've had with the smaller bucking spike.

20210929_181449.jpg

Overall the saw is very clean, i'd saw it saw barely any use in its life. The oil tank was full of black waste oil, but all the pumps function good, so i'll just add some varsol, run it empty and then top up with fresh bar oil.

Haven't posted in a while, but its been very, very quiet as far as saws go here. Almost nothing of interest has popped up for sale locally. There was a poulan 5200 but it went in a few hours.

Did get to work on this 440 recently. Swapped in a Tilly HL from a 250, put on a 3/8 pitch rim and got it all dialed in. Need to get a chain for the 32" Oregon bar and then i'll test it out.
Runs good so far.

View attachment 936338
This is the first one I've had with the smaller bucking spike.

View attachment 936339

Overall the saw is very clean, i'd saw it saw barely any use in its life. The oil tank was full of black waste oil, but all the pumps function good, so i'll just add some varsol, run it empty and then top up with fresh bar oil.
Good saws, that is a 440 I'm holding in my profile pic.

Well guys,I'm happy to say that the 1-75 is a runner! I got the points & condenser in before lunch.What a job to get it back together,IMO one of the worst ignition systems that Mac ever devised.Everything was in the way of something else,& the little nut & lockwasher that went on the screw to hold the points in was almost small enough to be classified as microsurgery.I got it put together & then came time for the flywheel to go back on.It went on without a problem,but it kept hitting the coil when I tried to turn it by hand.I had to beat the screws that held the coil in place to loosen them so I could re-gap the coil.Once that was done the saw had spark again.Then it was time to see if it'd fire up.I checked the fuel filter & it looked good,so I put some fuel in it.Of course I pulled with the choke that you have to hold on with one hand while trying to start it with the other hand.Yeah,that don't work so good,so out came the oil can with 2 cycle mix in it.The saw would run on a prime,but refused to pull fuel from the tank.I could tell it wanted to,but just couldn't.I got a frersh fuel filer & changed it out & the saw started running after the 1st prime.Now I need to find out how to get the manual oiler working again.The button is stuck,I can't push down on it.I have no idea where to start with it.I know I need to put a new latch on what I call the trunk lid on the rear of the saw.Here are some pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 10
Clean looking. I bet it sounds great at idle
There's still a lot of dirt on it yet,I didn't have a chance to clean it good on the outside yet.It sounds POWERFUL when I hit the throttle.I think it might need a baffle,it hurt my ears,Lol.
Looking good there Ed!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Thanks Kevin! You were right about not needing the air vane governor.I looked closer today & it was indeed broken off,don't know if it was deliberate or accidental.

Hard at it today.
20211023_093511.jpg20211023_093529.jpg20211023_093542.jpg
Does this make me the last commercial user of an 81?? I'm getting payed to cut :)
81 still running well although she not starting well could probably do with a birthday soon ive never actually even given her a new plug let alone points n seals n a carb kit
20211023_093629.jpg
Home made AV still good. 20211023_093650.jpg
And the fairlead starter still good too 20211023_093726.jpg

Since you brought it up jethro, i got another mcculloch chainsaw last week!! I was ebaying and watched a pm515 go thru its auction. My buddy talked me into bidding and i ended up winning it. Its in great shape. Ive never seen one so i was happy. The pm515 was preceded by the pm510 which was preceded by the sp40 saws. Well it had 2 issues. 1 was carburetor needing rebuilt. Easy enough. Had a kit in it and it was running in no time. 2 it had a leaky seam on the fuel tank!! Since it shares a tank with the mini macs i had a spare. Got that swapped out and off to test. I must say i was very impressed. Great runner and rather easy to tinker with. And in this case not a common model. Here are some pics.20211020_125910.jpg20211020_125919.jpg20211020_125928.jpg

I don't think purple sandals are that bad ?, maybe not interview attire.

Hahaha not my feet:)

Since you brought it up jethro, i got another mcculloch chainsaw last week!! I was ebaying and watched a pm515 go thru its auction. My buddy talked me into bidding and i ended up winning it. Its in great shape. Ive never seen one so i was happy. The pm515 was preceded by the pm510 which was preceded by the sp40 saws. Well it had 2 issues. 1 was carburetor needing rebuilt. Easy enough. Had a kit in it and it was running in no time. 2 it had a leaky seam on the fuel tank!! Since it shares a tank with the mini macs i had a spare. Got that swapped out and off to test. I must say i was very impressed. Great runner and rather easy to tinker with. And in this case not a common model. Here are some pics.View attachment 936602View attachment 936603View attachment 936604

Good score man that looks new. Wow.

Yeah not sure what I'm going to do. I need a we top handle and finally caved in on those we things lying in his shed :) I've had lots of Mac's from this guy and a heap of other saws too. He's the chap I saw with a drum of waste oil to dip the bar in :)

Back