McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not got that 3516 in a chunk of wood yet.
Finishing up deer season and spending all my time in the woods.
If I came home from hunting all day and went to the shop to work on saws I’d be in hot water with the cook and that’s never good!
Have done two more cold starts on it and it’s still consistent at two pulls. May be a one pull starter when it’s warm.

One of the last "pre chinese" models , i assume[emoji848]
Runs very fine !

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
536e42075c499dd7baae3ddf57e54634.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Nice saw man. Roller starter too. Its hard to pick the 850 up over the 81 its such a light saw for its age and cc
Put a few tanks through mine a couple days ago. View attachment 944368
Stuffed in the back of the lil zook

Still starting terribly must get to it. Points n plug
I bought a double eagle 80 in a group of saw this summer, cant wait to try it out

Never seen one but will be looking now..... my wife says thanks a lot!! Lol
Finally got the little 3516 in some wood and it did great for what it is! Also discovered if you are fast enough on getting the choke shut off it is a 1 pull start! Up for sale she goes tho! Saving for an so 81 or a 125.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day yesterday in North East Tennessee. Spent the day at the range falling trees with temps again in the high 20s to high 40s. I didn't observe any wind until mid-cut of the last substantial tree. I didn't count, but I probably felled 40 trees give or take 10. Last four were with my usual PM800. On the next to last tree of the day (a red oak with a too deep face cut) I thought I was going to witness my 800 dying a painful death after a puff of wind caused the tree to clamp down on the bar. (Could have been avoided if I had placed a wedge in early. Can't really say why I failed to place a wedge - maybe it was fatigue or just being too lackadaisical on an "easy" tree and a previously windless day.) Given the nature of red oak, I didn't stand around. At a safe distance without any brilliant ideas for a rescue, I contemplated the eminent painful demise of my favorite MAC as the wind continued to gently blow on and off against my intended fall. In a few minutes the oak started a small chair on the face side. Within 15 minutes, it finished the job falling sideways and spinning in the air while taking the 800 for a ride to the ground. Then with a big bounce the trunk of the tree slammed to the ground again just inches from the power head. Fortunately, the MAC survived. The Stihl bar suffered almost a foot long pinch of the top rail.

1st tree - a suffering poplar. I left the saw and vacated at the first movement.
IMG_6562.JPGIMG_6567.JPG
Two red oaks:
IMG_6572.JPG
Almost disaster:
IMG_6577.JPG

In other matters, I have been reviewing an IPL and researching replacement fuel tank parts for the SP40. But like the recoil pulley, the parts aren't cheap relative to the value of the saw. I have enough NOS boxes of 1/4" chain to last me a lifetime so I would like to fix it. In the coming evenings, I will open it up and observe the leak closer. With hopes that it is just the o ring, does anyone know if a suitable replacement can be found at a typical auto parts store?

Thanks and be safe,
Ron

PS It just occurred to me that when I bought the saw nine years ago the seller said it was leaking. I tore into it five years ago - I assume to fix the leak, but dang if I can remember now what I did except bend the throttle rod. I think I replaced the tank then. I'm just a youngster but my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have been reviewing an IPL and researching replacement fuel tank parts for the SP40.
At least the tanks are easily accessible on those. If it's indeed the seam, re-sealing with a soldering iron and its own plastic may be an option. Trying this method with trimmer line, zip ties, etc. may or may not work due to dissimilar plastic compositions not adhering well enough. You may be tempted by Seal-All, but my experience using it in such applications has never been effective for any length of time.

On the other hand, Mini-Macs are a dime a dozen (or free) in many areas and you could also end up with a bargain condenser in the mix (and maybe even a pulley!) if you're lucky. I would also think the 'O' ring would be a common size if that's all it needs.

Then again, I have a MM carcass or two and would be happy to contribute a tank if you discover you actually need one..., provided there's a good one between the two.

Just holler.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day yesterday in North East Tennessee. Spent the day at the range falling trees with temps again in the high 20s to high 40s. I didn't observe any wind until mid-cut of the last substantial tree. I didn't count, but I probably felled 40 trees give or take 10. Last four were with my usual PM800. On the next to last tree of the day (a red oak with a too deep face cut) I thought I was going to witness my 800 dying a painful death after a puff of wind caused the tree to clamp down on the bar. (Could have been avoided if I had placed a wedge in early. Can't really say why I failed to place a wedge - maybe it was fatigue or just being too lackadaisical on an "easy" tree and a previously windless day.) Given the nature of red oak, I didn't stand around. At a safe distance without any brilliant ideas for a rescue, I contemplated the eminent painful demise of my favorite MAC as the wind continued to gently blow on and off against my intended fall. In a few minutes the oak started a small chair on the face side. Within 15 minutes, it finished the job falling sideways and spinning in the air while taking the 800 for a ride to the ground. Then with a big bounce the trunk of the tree slammed to the ground again just inches from the power head. Fortunately, the MAC survived. The Stihl bar suffered almost a foot long pinch of the top rail.

1st tree - a suffering poplar. I left the saw and vacated at the first movement.
View attachment 944749View attachment 944750
Two red oaks:
View attachment 944754
Almost disaster:
View attachment 944758

In other matters, I have been reviewing an IPL and researching replacement fuel tank parts for the SP40. But like the recoil pulley, the parts aren't cheap relative to the value of the saw. I have enough NOS boxes of 1/4" chain to last me a lifetime so I would like to fix it. In the coming evenings, I will open it up and observe the leak closer. With hopes that it is just the o ring, does anyone know if a suitable replacement can be found at a typical auto parts store?

Thanks and be safe,
Ron

PS It just occurred to me that when I bought the saw nine years ago the seller said it was leaking. I tore into it five years ago - I assume to fix the leak, but dang if I can remember now what I did except bend the throttle rod. I think I replaced the tank then. I'm just a youngster but my memory isn't what it used to be.
Ron,

I may well have a tank also on a saw I will probably never get to if nothing else works out.

- Bob Kern

I appreciate all of the offers to help with the SP40 and the video. Over the weekend, it had leak down to about a 1/3 of a tank making a mess on the table in the process. I took the front cover off tonight, cleaned and dried things with a paper towel. I re-filled it with fuel and let it sit for over 45 minutes - not a drop. I wonder if it is a crack that opens with pressure. If so and I can't find the leak, will Red Coat work? Or if it appears to be an unidentifiable location in the seam, would you just take the iron to the seam in the general area?

Ron

I have been giving this big old dead white the stink eye for a couple years now and the day came when I was not out alone in the woods. I try to avoid taking down trees like this one without an extra set of eyes. Lots of big dead branches that can really leave a mark if they get to close. The 700 has a 28 inch bar and it was a bit too short for this one but everything landed where it was supposed to. This one gives me a reason to exercise the 125 when I go back out to the woods.

Attachments

• DSCN2924-2.jpg
    DSCN2924-2.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 28
will Red Coat work?

Untitled.jpg
I believe there were both vented and unvented tanks (with corresponding caps). May want to investigate that aspect as a possible source of pressure related issues. 'Course an unvented tank would behave like one and affect the saw's performance once enough vacuum was created to overcome the carb's pump diaphragm..., unless, of course, air was getting in some other way -- which would also more than likely let fuel out.

I'd pressurize the tank via the carb end of the fuel line and observe the results. Should hold pressure up to the point of overcoming the venting arrangement depending on the effectiveness of the type/design. A properly functioning vent design should not leak under pressure. Not sure what the spec may be on the small Macs. I'd guess it's pretty lenient at maybe 4~6 PSI due to the economics of their design. Point is, it should hold at least some degree of pressure without leaking down. A leak should be pretty easy to locate from the fuel bubbles. Just be aware of any remaining tank pressure when removing the pressure source from the hose. It's usually a good idea to bleed it off by slowly opening the cap to avoid spraying fuel everywhere otherwise.

If your pressure test is successful,, a vacuum test would determine if the tank is actually venting. Won't take much vacuum to see if air is properly being allowed back into the tank to displace used fuel. Sucking on an extension to the fuel line will tell the tale there.

Just in case anyone is interested I'm going to be having a look at a couple 2 man macs and a 1-71 as well as a 39. I don't know that I want all of em but if someone else does I can potentially pick it up for said person and ship it. I'm located over in north Idaho. The two man macs are a model 99 and a 940(could be a 1-93). Price is up in air and I won't have an idea of whether they run or not until I can make it out to look at em.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Took a chance on this one
Landed about $150 CD
Piston had a bit of carbon rash
Missing air filter and needs recoil attention

Attachments

• 68A75CA1-39F3-47F8-994B-E258EFA67ECC.jpeg
    68A75CA1-39F3-47F8-994B-E258EFA67ECC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 4D6E78FF-075A-4312-A9BE-22782A8AE587.jpeg
    4D6E78FF-075A-4312-A9BE-22782A8AE587.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 10AC05F1-D950-4C61-941C-70D891FAC4AA.jpeg
    10AC05F1-D950-4C61-941C-70D891FAC4AA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 425D756E-3007-4DFA-BD27-C29CB2123D78.jpeg
    425D756E-3007-4DFA-BD27-C29CB2123D78.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
would you by chance have a parts break down for i-70 or have any extra parts i could buy?
The spare 1-70 that I had wasn't much to begin with.The only good thing on it was the clutch.The parts 1-70 didn't have a recoil or air filter cover,& the carb was trash from sitting out in the weather.The engine is seized tight too.Sorry.

Back