McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
За карбуратора да попитам... Колко трябва да се развие винтовете на карбуратора на Mac 3200? Проверих всичко и за сега работи почти добре, но оборотите под товара padafalling.
The carburetor is Walbro.

I might have to eat that lead and get into the points. I've managed to avoid points for years now.
The chips certainly are convenient for avoiding points -- or in most cases, avoiding having to learn how a points system actually works and how to get the most out of one. Some say the chips provide a timing 'advance'. Compared to what? And how? They may trigger faster, but they're not advancing anything beyond just eliminating the mechanical contact points and condenser of the fixed physical timing established by the flywheel magnets relative to the position of the coil. They're a cheap and fast universal trigger. Not a specialized microprocessor. (Ironically, you can change timing by widening and closing the points gap.)

I think you'd find gratification in going through that ignition and dialing it in according to spec. Maybe messing with the gap a little to see where that takes you. Points are a different animal for sure. When gapped right, a clean set of points and a good cap are hard to beat. They can require some patience to **** with simply due to the inconvenience of access..., and why many just snip the wires under the flywheel and glue in a chip somewhere. Trust me, I get that after still not having my SP81 points ignition where i think it should be yet. It may be a different story if I depended on it as a work saw, but it isn't and I don't. I'll sort it out eventually. It came with a chip, but all original was the rebuild objective and still is.

Anyway, here's one of the best threads I've read on the subject. Short and to the point with knowledgeable sources. I think you'll appreciate it and I hope a few others will as well. Good luck with yours!

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...termarket-electronic-ignition-modules.199641/

I guess so. Im not sure what the thought was. Maybe the 65 carb was used prior to the external boots being used. Might have been the step in carburetor evolution.

I think it was just a price point thing
The advantages for me are I don't have to cut holes in my airboxs. The saws that came with fixed jet carbs. Funny thing is the saws with fixed jet carbs are the ones that have stood the test of time

The chips certainly are convenient for avoiding points -- or in most cases, avoiding having to learn how a points system actually works and how to get the most out of one. Some say the chips provide a timing 'advance'. Compared to what? And how? They may trigger faster, but they're not advancing anything beyond just eliminating the mechanical contact points and condenser of the fixed physical timing established by the flywheel magnets relative to the position of the coil. They're a cheap and fast universal trigger. Not a specialized microprocessor. (Ironically, you can change timing by widening and closing the points gap.)

I think you'd find gratification in going through that ignition and dialing it in according to spec. Maybe messing with the gap a little to see where that takes you. Points are a different animal for sure. When gapped right, a clean set of points and a good cap are hard to beat. They can require some patience to **** with simply due to the inconvenience of access..., and why many just snip the wires under the flywheel and glue in a chip somewhere. Trust me, I get that after still not having my SP81 points ignition where i think it should be yet. It may be a different story if I depended on it as a work saw, but it isn't and I don't. I'll sort it out eventually. It came with a chip, but all original was the rebuild objective and still is.

Anyway, here's one of the best threads I've read on the subject. Short and to the point with knowledgeable sources. I think you'll appreciate it and I hope a few others will as well. Good luck with yours!

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...termarket-electronic-ignition-modules.199641/

Poge thank you heaps for that. Exactly the nudge I need. I've avoided them also as they all seem to run n start great. My 81 did too and it is not behind my 850 1 bit power wise and its a pretty fresh 850 too.

But now its a bear to start when hot. The plug though is so old and its rusty as it could be 20 or 30 years old so I'm gunna start with the easy stuff first.

I prefer the 81 to the 850. Its just lighter and has I dunno a certain feel to it. It is getting slightly wheezy though perhaps 150psi not scored up just old.

Oooh I want a try one a those (81).
Pretty much 850 same saw except black n decker in efforts to squeeze more Money out made all the castings from cheaper heavier aluminium. Also got rid of nice touches like emblems cast into the starter n cluctch covers. The electronic ignition is a good thing also no doubt cheaper to produce.

There's extra weight in every single body casting. Even the air filter lid.

By the Qport big muffler saws they were literally band aiding a late 60s saw and had they been steered by a passionate saw interested company and actually forgot about profit for a while and designed a new saw to rival the likes of the 162 and 181 they may well be still here now.

Power to weight was better in the early 70s than it was a decade later.

A sad tale really. ohh they did bring out the 610:) lol

All g man. Its good saving them we all can vouch for that.

Will be running a 7-10 an 850 and a 81 tomorrow. Hopefully a new plug has cured the 81 starting woes if not I might have to eat that lead and get into the points. I've managed to avoid points for years now.

800 could do with a run too I spose but ahh a 32 is a bit much unless needed.

Three 700s need running.
A 10-10S powerd thing
2 other 7-10s
A 2-10
Others ive forgotten i have :)

Found this picture today id forgotten about
View attachment 960063
Mean mean little saw. Needs a carb with needles pointing up. The PM10-10 I sold needed its carb back
What a darling little Daddies man. Mine are all grown and gone.

I think it was just a price point thing
The advantages for me are I don't have to cut holes in my airboxs. The saws that came with fixed jet carbs. Funny thing is the saws with fixed jet carbs are the ones that have stood the test of time

Poge thank you heaps for that. Exactly the nudge I need. I've avoided them also as they all seem to run n start great. My 81 did too and it is not behind my 850 1 bit power wise and its a pretty fresh 850 too.

But now its a bear to start when hot. The plug though is so old and its rusty as it could be 20 or 30 years old so I'm gunna start with the easy stuff first.

I prefer the 81 to the 850. Its just lighter and has I dunno a certain feel to it. It is getting slightly wheezy though perhaps 150psi not scored up just old.
I worked with points ignitions for years, in my old cars. Probably the best upgrade I made was electronic ignition swap , it definitely fires the engines better than points. I have old dwell meters and a fantastic amount of tiny wrenches but I don't have to even look under my distributor cap now.
All the points ignitions I have that don't give me trouble are still in service but I certainly don't feel bad about putting a chip in place ,because I have had zero issues with them.

Did some recreational noodling with this new to me PM700, pretty dang fun once the carb was dialed. Wow these things burn fuel! But crap tons of power, it’s gonna scream with a 24” Sugi on it.View attachment 960212
Yep on the fuel. My 850 will kill a tank in 6 or 8 cuts on a 30” log. 8 cuts on a 30” log is a lot of firewood tho!!!

Hi, I can't seem to be able to post on the trading post so I thought this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have a muffler for a pro Mac 800 or 8200? If someone knows if a muffler from one of the other 82cc saws will fit I will buy that too, I don't care what it is exactly as long as it fits.

Pretty much 850 same saw except black n decker in efforts to squeeze more Money out made all the castings from cheaper heavier aluminium. Also got rid of nice touches like emblems cast into the starter n cluctch covers. The electronic ignition is a good thing also no doubt cheaper to produce.

There's extra weight in every single body casting. Even the air filter lid.

By the Qport big muffler saws they were literally band aiding a late 60s saw and had they been steered by a passionate saw interested company and actually forgot about profit for a while and designed a new saw to rival the likes of the 162 and 181 they may well be still here now.

Power to weight was better in the early 70s than it was a decade later.

A sad tale really. ohh they did bring out the 610:) lol
Wow, so the company that I currently work for was the nail in the coffin for the McCulloch saw company. I feel so conflicted right now. Ha ha ha... The company that I work for was bought up by Stanley black and decker 3 years ago. Makes me wonder what is in store for us.

Back