McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep on the fuel. My 850 will kill a tank in 6 or 8 cuts on a 30” log. 8 cuts on a 30” log is a lot of firewood tho!!!
Holy crap I can't afford all that gas. Wonder if the eBay seller will take it back?
The gas tank smelled like 10+ year old gas. New plug fresh gas and it, no carb cleaning yet. But it fired up in 5 pulls. It runs reves and idles.

Attachments

• IMG_20220128_191056215.jpg
    IMG_20220128_191056215.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220128_164114553.jpg
    IMG_20220128_164114553.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Holy crap I can't afford all that gas. Wonder if the eBay seller will take it back?
The gas tank smelled like 10+ year old gas. New plug fresh gas and it, no carb cleaning yet. But it fired up in 5 pulls. It runs reves and idles.
Good stuff :) really happy for you
Yeah bum deal bout old Mac

Good stuff :) really happy for you
Yeah bum deal bout old Mac
Pride and craftsmanship is almost a thing of the past. Don't get me started on quality of materials.

Now back to chipper Happy Eric. I think this is going to be a good running 850. AV mount under the tank is not broke. Looks rough. Compression test: I got to like 148# and couldn't hold it down and pull at the same time anymore.

Once you’ve ran that bad boy gas will seem cheap! Lol

I need to add a small chainsaw; I currently run a Partner S55, which is a beast.
Have a chance to buy this 14" Mac 3200, but am not familiar with this later model. Last Mac I owned and ran was in 1969 with a 36" bar and it was a beast also!!
Can anyone share some info and ideas on whether or not this is a worthwhile purchase.
Seller claims, "McCulloch chainsaw in good working condition, $100"
Thanks in advance
1643410870822.png

I need to add a small chainsaw; I currently run a Partner S55, which is a beast.
Have a chance to buy this 14" Mac 3200, but am not familiar with this later model. Last Mac I owned and ran was in 1969 with a 36" bar and it was a beast also!!
Can anyone share some info and ideas on whether or not this is a worthwhile purchase.
Thanks in advance
1643410870822.png
I have worked on a newer Mac that looked similar to that and it was a cheap piece of garbage homeowner saw. However, that one could be a little older than the one I worked on and be decent. I had a pro Mac 650 that was one of their more modern saws and it was a great saw. That was definitely a pro saw.

Pride and craftsmanship is almost a thing of the past. Don't get me started on quality of materials.

Now back to chipper Happy Eric. I think this is going to be a good running 850. AV mount under the tank is not broke. Looks rough. Compression test: I got to like 148# and couldn't hold it down and pull at the same time anymore.
Good. The numbers not really important if its behaving like that. It's healthy as.
Being a bit beat up is not always the story of its health. A metal saw shows up everything and it could well of been sat in a ute or something bashing around also some mac paint wears easier and some chips easier.

Nice it has the wrap handle too.

What parts are left of the brake?

Thanks in advance
1643410870822.png

I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on that saw.

Thanks in advance
1643410870822.png
I have something similar and whilst it's OK (apart from the oil line was broken) I wouldn't pay that much for one.
Personally for that money I would go for something more robust and classic if you're after a Mac.

Thanks in advance
1643410870822.png
I've got one just like it..I took it apart, well NOT completely, just to get to the oil tank and fuel liines..Carb is still on motor. Engine has never been opened. Muffler still attached..I'll try to post photos.. Let me know IF you are interested.. I'm to old to put new gas and oil lines on it..Pull rope still looks good. There's a paper towel stuck in the air intake of the carb. It's not been run in years and was a super little saw years ago..It's all there screws and all..The bar too EXCEPT I have no clue where I put the chain. It's been in a box in storage for years..20220119_162347_HDR~2.jpg20220119_162347_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20220119_162300_HDR~2.jpg
    20220119_162300_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Good. The numbers not really important if its behaving like that. It's healthy as.
Being a bit beat up is not always the story of its health. A metal saw shows up everything and it could well of been sat in a ute or something bashing around also some mac paint wears easier and some chips easier.

Nice it has the wrap handle too.

What parts are left of the brake?
Sad to say their are no brake parts in the clutch cover. No pin, bolt, band, or obvious handle. Need help with that .
I have run a few saws without a brake over the years(not scared of it). I really don't like it missing parts.

Sad to say their are no brake parts in the clutch cover. No pin, bolt, band, or obvious handle. Need help with that .
I have run a few saws without a brake over the years(not scared of it). I really don't like it missing parts.
The scratches and warn paint just screams I served my time damn it!

Id suggest getting a non brake clutch cover for it. Any 10 series will fit it. Then worry about the brake parts. Itll lighten it up a bit also. I like having all the parts to saws. The brake cover vs non brake cover is quite a weight difference. It all adds up.

Hi, I can't seem to be able to post on the trading post so I thought this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have a muffler for a pro Mac 800 or 8200? If someone knows if a muffler from one of the other 82cc saws will fit I will buy that too, I don't care what it is exactly as long as it fits.
Hello and welcome to this board. No i dont have one but they show up on ebay fairl good priced usually. A muffler for any other 82cc saw will fit yes, but if a duct style muffler is used your air flow will need some help to cool the engine properly. Not hard to do but highly recommended. A small piece of tin to help deflect air flow.

I
Id suggest getting a non brake clutch cover for it. Any 10 series will fit it. Then worry about the brake parts. Itll lighten it up a bit also. I like having all the parts to saws. The brake cover vs non brake cover is quite a weight difference. It all adds up.
I have one off a 10-10. I can't see what it would hurt to run it with the cover missing the brake parts?

Been a busy week...too many posts have gone by to try and answer them all...but I'll touch on a couple I remember...

Gumneck _ I have some NOS fuel lines for those top tank saws, both the tank to carb and the one in the tank. Contact me it you are interested.

Xp - I have most of the brake parts for the 10 Series models, let me know specifically what you might be looking for.

If the LRB pistons have bearings (the 600 Series I recently acquired did come with bearings) make sure they are brand name, (INA, Koyo, Torrington, ect.) and you'll be O.K. When you press them in you should have a mandrel that fits the I.D. very precisely, otherwise you risk crushing the cup slightly causing the bearing to twist and no longer run true. Here's one I made for the PTO side bearing into the insert on the 70 cc ++ saws. The bearing is in the insert, the O.D. of the mandrel fits the I.D. of the bearing very precisely to hold its shape as the bearing is pressed in. Also keep in mind that the needles are loose in those bearings and will fall out if you are not extremely careful when handling them. Washing the bearings with solvent will almost certainly clean out any oil that is sticking the needles in place and they will come out. It is possible to put them back in place using a little grease to hold them, but it is a tedious job.

20210808_171433 - Copy.jpg

Regarding the 3200, 3214, FR2.0 etc. saws. These are the last of the McCulloch saws engineered and built when McCulloch was employee owned in Arizona and assembled in Mexico. They are not bad little saws but remember that they are only 32, 35, or 38 cc depending on the model. The oil tank can be problematic, if the cap is leaking most folks overtighten it rather than replacing the gasket and putt the threads out of the cap. Most of the time they will need to have the fuel lines and oil lines replaced but they are not bad to work on and will cut a bit of wood when you're done. I think they are more comfortable than a Mini Mac to operate with the handle layout but of course they don't work like a top handle saw. I can sell a good running, clean saw that has had the fuel & oil lines replaced for $100 with a clear conscience. I would not buy one that needed work for that much. If you need to cut stuff over 8-10" in diameter all day long look for a bigger saw.

Mark

Back