McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt - I thought about hanging a bar on the BP-399T but that would be a much larger LH saw
That is some engine, pitty Mc didn't stick with them. At least we are lucky enough to have a collector like you who is willing to find these things (and get them running) and share images, info and video of them so actively!

View attachment 995196

The way my 3D printer works is extruding thin "threads" of filament that stick as they cool and build up the part. In order to make the grid pattern without printing supports in every opening we had to make the grid a bit smaller so the "threads" can span the opening. The first couple of horizontal layers on each level are a little droopy, but nothing you will ever notice with the saw at arms length and the engine running...

It's certainly not as droopy as what I'm replacing:

IMG_20220625_103026.jpgIMG_20220625_103041.jpg

It is an exceptional high-temp (HT) silicon-based sealer for a variety of surface types that never hardens. It has a very friendly working time. It can often be applied to only one mating surface and needs no setup time prior to assembly. It can be put into use immediately upon application/assembly in most instances including short blocks and cylinder gasket deletes. An application can even ocassionally be reused under certain circumstances where disassembly/reassembly is required. It is fuel/oil resistant. Has an almost indefinite shelf life by simply applying a glob of Vaseline in the cap for storage -- (which works for many types of sealants, btw). I'm going on a couple years with my current 90g tube.

It became known as a Stihl product (which it isn't) due to their extensive use of it and reference/recommendation in many of their products -- particularly for their clamshell engines. The brand wars crowd seems to turn their noses up at it for that reason alone, even though it's actually made by Elring, another German company, and has been used in the Euro auto industry for decades. It was also thought to be excessively pricey as a Stihl product -- which everything is from them -- though it retails for about the same price as the other popular choices.

My favorite sealer as well. Highly recommended.
Excellent info! Tnx.

20220624_172013.jpg20220624_172016.jpg
I'm sure this wasn't an issue with heat soak or ignition efficiency?
20220625_083839.jpg
20220625_083849.jpg20220625_083858.jpg20220625_083918.jpg20220625_083929.jpg20220625_083944.jpg20220625_083955.jpg20220625_084024.jpg
Most if not all of my projects are on the back burner till some things get settled around our life, but I did find time to do some cleaning up on the 10.00$ 10-10
Yesterday.
Really no excuse to not have Mark's chip cover and handle insert , both were missing on this saw.
It runs,idles,and revs up perfectly. Just a run of the mill McCulloch that time forgot.

Here's an update on Bob J.He's coming along nicely in the cardiac rehab unit & should be coming home soon,but still has a long way to go.This info is from his lady friend Joan.I'd have to say that if not for all your prayers Bob most likely wouldn't have made it this far.
Thanks for the updates. Here's hoping he beats all expectations and is back at it soon!!!

I may have won the award for nastiest saw ever today. Surprisingly the jug didn't look terrible...View attachment 997582View attachment 997583View attachment 997585View attachment 997586View attachment 997588 loView attachment 997589ok to bad....
that looks like you used it, put it away for a few years, and in the meantime, a bird built a nest, hornets sublet from the bird, a field mouse squatted while the other two were away, then it died and spiders took over the whole thing. you absolutely win!

that looks like you used it, put it away for a few years, and in the meantime, a bird built a nest, hornets sublet from the bird, a field mouse squatted while the other two were away, then it died and spiders took over the whole thing. you absolutely win!
It definitely makes a good case for block off plates and a pressure washer!!

I have been working on finishing up a few unfinished projects. I wrapped up the Super 250, got the bar and chain back on it, ran it a little and tuned it. Still haven't made any cuts with it. I rebuilt an SDC for my PM55, got that back together and tuned, and I wrapped up this 550. Had a chance to take it out to the woodpile and give it a little test and rune. Running a 36 inch bar .404 full house, that 99cc just chews through this red oak. Lol. I had forgotten how much I love these saws........ just wish my dad was still here to share it with 😪20220628_192451.jpg20220628_191614.jpg

I have been working on finishing up a few unfinished projects. I wrapped up the Super 250, got the bar and chain back on it, ran it a little and tuned it. Still haven't made any cuts with it. I rebuilt an SDC for my PM55, got that back together and tuned, and I wrapped up this 550. Had a chance to take it out to the woodpile and give it a little test and rune. Running a 36 inch bar .404 full house, that 99cc just chews through this red oak. Lol. I had forgotten how much I love these saws........ just wish my dad was still here to share it with 😪View attachment 999476View attachment 999477
Yeah Kevin,those 550s are real ass kickers from what I hear.I've got a 450 that's not far behind at 90cc.I've got a full house .404 32 in.on mine.The thing is I rarely get anything big enough to put it to work.I think it needs a new primer though.

Yeah Kevin,those 550s are real ass kickers from what I hear.I've got a 450 that's not far behind at 90cc.I've got a full house .404 32 in.on mine.The thing is I rarely get anything big enough to put it to work.I think it needs a new primer though.
I switched this one over to a Tillotson HL63 to get rid of the primer. It seems to run pretty solid.

Latest posts

Back