McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also, it came with a new bar and chain. is that a real Mac bar or a chinese knock off? I've seen quite a few of these bars in photos and they all look new. chain doesn't look like the best quality. not that I know anything.

last question(s). does this give any clue to date of manufacture, and would this saw have breaker points? thanks!
View attachment 1035413

Definitely points if still original.

That bar is a mean bar.

The handle came bare.

Pretty sure that bar is the real deal and like 50 years old. Mean score.

also, it came with a new bar and chain. is that a real Mac bar or a chinese knock off? I've seen quite a few of these bars in photos and they all look new. chain doesn't look like the best quality. not that I know anything.
The bar looks factory original , although there are stencils available for the entire saw and bar it would be odd for someone to sink that kind of money into a saw that generally sells for 10.00-200.00$ .
Honestly most of the time the air filter is worth the total cost of the saw as they sell for 50.00+$ online.
With good oil the iron bore practically lasts forever and can be over bored .020 or .030.

The bar looks factory original , although there are stencils available for the entire saw and bar it would be odd for someone to sink that kind of money into a saw that generally sells for 10.00-200.00$ .
Honestly most of the time the air filter is worth the total cost of the saw as they sell for 50.00+$ online.
With good oil the iron bore practically lasts forever and can be over bored .020 or .030.
I guess it is a Mac chain as well.
PXL_20221127_161419854.jpg

FF - check that chain pitch very carefully, the profile of the tie straps looks to me like it is McCulloch .354 pitch. Pull out the chain and look at the drive links, 350 would indicate .354 pitch .050 gauge, 358 would indicate .354 pitch .058 gauge. It's actually not bad cutting chain but quite a few were destroyed when folks tried to run it with a standard 3/8 sprocket, myself included at least once.

Back to Syncop8r - the muffler bolts are 10-24 threads if you want to try and search for screws locally. I have all the parts you need but as you know, shipping is a killer these days.

Mark

FF - check that chain pitch very carefully, the profile of the tie straps looks to me like it is McCulloch .354 pitch. Pull out the chain and look at the drive links, 350 would indicate .354 pitch .050 gauge, 358 would indicate .354 pitch .058 gauge. It's actually not bad cutting chain but quite a few were destroyed when folks tried to run it with a standard 3/8 sprocket, myself included at least once.

Back to Syncop8r - the muffler bolts are 10-24 threads if you want to try and search for screws locally. I have all the parts you need but as you know, shipping is a killer these days.

Mark
will do. thanks Mark.

Mark
pitch seems to be .354. as far as gauge, no markings on the drive links but they measure slightly over .057 thick with my digital micrometer.

there is a marking on the cutter linksPXL_20221127_214105953.jpgPXL_20221127_202843106.jpgPXL_20221127_205713671.jpgPXL_20221127_205806855.jpg, but I don't know what it means.

the groove in the bar measures .060- to .061 with feeler gauges.

there are markings on the clutch/sprocket but again, I don't know what they mean.

Latest posts

Back