McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am In TX for work. I awoke to a txt that my uncle Gray (my saw mentor) is in the hospital. They are talking hospice if he doesn’t improve in the next 12 hours. If you believe in such things we could use some prayers and good energy. It sucks being 1500 miles away from him right now.

Max
Max,IIRC your uncle has been there before & has rallied.Maybe just another minor setback & he'll rally again.Let's all hope for the best.

I just won a PM605 for $35 on feebayI've got a couple Timber Bears & about 5 PM610s,also a PM650,but no PM605.The displacement on all 3 saws is within 5cc (Timber Bear is 55cc,PM605 is 58cc,& PM610 is 60cc,PM650 is also 60cc).I just bought a new 20 in.bar & chain for it.It's missing the AF & AF cover,but I have those here already.Pics to come.

flatsfisher - there should be a duckbill valve to prevent fuel from coming out, but allowing atmospheric air pressure in to make up for the fuel as it is consumed.

Duckbill valves.jpg

There are other insert styles, hopefully your cap has the brass one as they are the easiest to service.

Ed, regardless of what figures have been published, there were only two cylinder bores for the 600 Series saws, 1.837 and 1.813 and only one crankshaft/stroke. McCulloch was quite confused themselves.

1670293575814.png

As far as I know, those specifications were never corrected anywhere...

When I was working for a living, I used to get very frustrated with our Engineers for turning out drawings and part lists with inaccuracies for the machines we sold. Now that I spend a lot of time looking at old McCulloch documentation, I think our guys did a fairly respectable job.

Mark

Alright everyone, my brain has stopped working and I have a real stupid question about 10 series coils.

I can’t remember if you could replace the coil lead on a 10 series. I thought there were leads you could replace, and ones that couldn’t be replaced.
I’d really appreciate for someone to help refresh my memory and set the record straight.

Thanks.

flatsfisher - there should be a duckbill valve to prevent fuel from coming out, but allowing atmospheric air pressure in to make up for the fuel as it is consumed.

View attachment 1038108

There are other insert styles, hopefully your cap has the brass one as they are the easiest to service.

Ed, regardless of what figures have been published, there were only two cylinder bores for the 600 Series saws, 1.837 and 1.813 and only one crankshaft/stroke. McCulloch was quite confused themselves.

View attachment 1038119

As far as I know, those specifications were never corrected anywhere...

When I was working for a living, I used to get very frustrated with our Engineers for turning out drawings and part lists with inaccuracies for the machines we sold. Now that I spend a lot of time looking at old McCulloch documentation, I think our guys did a fairly respectable job.

Mark
I guess that blows a lot of theories out of the water.Of course I got the previous info from Acres' site.

Alright everyone, my brain has stopped working and I have a real stupid question about 10 series coils.

I can’t remember if you could replace the coil lead on a 10 series. I thought there were leads you could replace, and ones that couldn’t be replaced.
I’d really appreciate for someone to help refresh my memory and set the record straight.

Thanks.
The leads on the 10 series coils can be replaced,but usually not an easy task.See if the lead will unscrew - counterclockwise.They're usually epoxied in & 9 out of 10 times the leads will twist off,but the remaining lead that's left in the coil can be picked out carefully.

Could someone please tell me about the muffler gasket (#88)?
View attachment 1035011
My PM60 doesn't have one so I'll need to find a substitute.

I got some 1.6mm exhaust gasket sheet from my (not so) local auto parts store and made my own:
IMG_20221207_112638.jpg
IMG_20221207_114609.jpg

A bit rough but hopefully it'll do the job.

Do any of you Mac guys know what model and displacement this one is? I'd love to restore it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know where to start. Nothing is impossible, but this Mac is missing a lot of parts and looks pretty old! Any info would be much appreciated!
IMG_20221206_134256648_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221206_135206138.jpg
Thankyou

don't know the answer to your question but I'm eyeballing all the old orange saws..
👍 The bottom shelf is the "Tagged Out" shelf. The 046 and 660 need rebuilds. The 360 needs an air filter cover and new mounts. The 088 needs a chain brake lever.

Do any of you Mac guys know what model and displacement this one is? I'd love to restore it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know where to start. Nothing is impossible, but this Mac is missing a lot of parts and looks pretty old! Any info would be much appreciated!
View attachment 1038400
View attachment 1038403
Thankyou
Looks like a 55 to me. If so its 72cc

Back