McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here know the reason(s) MAC went to aluminum?

I honestly don't know. Ron I could add speculation and conjecture but otherwise I am no help on this one.

A bit confused on parts of your post. are you trying to put an 82cc A/V motor onto a 10/10-700 tank?
I thought about it to make the saw as light as possible. Since this saw would be for falling, I didn’t think I would miss the A/V or larger fuel capacity, but I would have to cut a mounting tab off the oil tank and drill a new hole in it for the fuel tank. So I think I will just make it a DE90 (actually 94cc IIRC).

Ron

My theory is price also. If ya sit back and look at all of it that's exactly what they were doing. Just squeezing more profit out but also chopping the feet off at the same time.

My old 10-10 with the late 57cc engine is a heap lighter and that's with the late alloy oil tank. I'm not in the mood for swapping that out

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day today in North East Tennessee with a low around 32 degrees. However, the ground was too wet to gather wood and it was a bit too windy to cut, so I have no MAC action to report today. The temperatures are supposed to drop over the next two days before warming.

056Kid's posts got me to thinking about my blown kart saw and my other unfinished projects. With nothing to do outside today, I decided to fire up the wood stove in the basement to moderate my electric bill and to take some time to think about my projects. I reached no conclusions about the kart saw - do I have the block re-sleeved, swap in my spare 101B, or sell them both as is? My bored ten series with 240+psi has sat for over two years now as I contemplated how to best lower the compression. Some months ago, I decided to leave it as it is and see what happens but haven't assembled it. After busting my PM700, I toyed with putting the bored power head in a non-A/V ten series "frame" as I would only be using it for short periods and the A/V is added weight. The first hurdle I encountered was the 82cc oil tanks have a mount that would hit the smaller gas tank. Not wanting to cut up an oil tank, I thought I would see if the 7-10 oil tank I got from Mark to fix the 700 would interchange. It won't - crankshaft channel is two shallow and cylinder bolt pattern is different. Being more curious than focused, I turned my attention to the differences between the 700 oil tank and the 7-10 beyond the obvious of the former being aluminum and the later being magnesium. I did not note a lot of differences beyond the 700 being beefier in spots. I then weighted them on a postage scale to find that the aluminum one is 6.5 ounces heavier - more than 50% - 17.5 oz for the 700 with studs, manual oiler, and auto oiler gasket in place compared to 11.3 oz for similarly equipped 7-10. I don't know how much of the 700 is aluminum parts versus the magnesium on the 7-10 but a lot of extra weight could added up quick. Anyone here know the reason(s) MAC went to aluminum?

While I am seeking answers, does anyone here know why on my newer computer I get ads that blocks the use of the search function and blocks checking alerts, when neither my old computer or my phone gets the annoying ads?

Thanks in advance,

Be safe.

Ron

Ron,

Aluminum is much cheaper than magnesium. Mag is a metal that diecasts easier than aluminum, especially with intricate parts.
Magnesium is 30% lighter than aluminum..

Back to Ron's other question, I am a supporting member (paid my fee...) and they said with the "subscription" I can avoid (some) ad's so does anyone know how to turn of those annoying ads in the space below the "conversations" "alert" "Search" tabs?

Mark
I only view this site on an iPhone, but this has worked for me and I see no ads. I went to my profile, then preferences. Under advertising options, I disabled the two options for ads.

Attachments

• F76C3DEA-47F8-4645-8762-356D7AE2A3F3.jpeg
    F76C3DEA-47F8-4645-8762-356D7AE2A3F3.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 0
Back to Ron's other question, I am a supporting member (paid my fee...) and they said with the "subscription" I can avoid (some) ad's so does anyone know how to turn of those annoying ads in the space below the "conversations" "alert" "Search" tabs?

Mark
Go to your account and click preferences scroll down to advertising options and check the box.

Hello everyone.
I’m coming back to this thread with a little update to the 10-10 I’ve been fiddling with these past few months.
After going through the initial problems I had (oil seal, weeping fuel tank seam) I’ve finally got the saw assembled, and it’s almost done. I figured I’d share the little hangups I had with the saw.

Hey look… You can see the paint now! The recoil was far beyond dirty, as I’m sure you all remember.
Surprisingly, the original chip guard wasn’t busted and was still in one piece.

Visible.jpg

After swapping the cork tank gasket, I noticed that the fuel cap was weeping fuel.
Yeah… The duckbill valve turned into a kind of hardened, dissolving sludge. It was a real pain to clean it all out.

Vent I.jpg

To Be Continued...

10-10 Part II ...

It's all clean. What a mess...
Replaced the duckbill valve and it was all set.

Vent II.jpg

I gave the handlebar a quick wrap with some hockey tape, just for a more tactile feel.
I'll redo it with something better later on.

Pre test run pictures... It's almost too pretty. There seems to be something missing though...

ProMac2.jpg

I had to use some Motoseal on the oil reservoir. Man did it leak the first time I put oil in.

ProMac3.jpg

ProMac.jpg

It is almost done.

The only thing that is missing are some brake parts... Alright, most of the brake parts. I'm not that worried about that though.

There is also a problem with the auto oiler, it isn't pumping oil. I took the auto oiler back off and tested it.
The auto oiler does pump oil, but the piston is getting stuck mid stroke. I don't know if the disk is binding, or if the spring isn't strong enough. It'll be something to figure out later.

Overall, it doesn't seem to be that much of a high hour saw, and I'm very pleased at how it cleaned up.
I'll keep fiddling off and on with it until I fix the auto oiler.

M

I'm committed to getting the totes, boxes, and small parts organizers I got from Woody sorted out and put away.

20221103_163354.jpg

20221103_163420.jpg

This week I'm working on the last of the small parts organizers...this might involve a day or two.

20230320_171638.jpg

Quite a lot of carburetor bits in this last organizer.

20230320_171651.jpg

20230320_171658.jpg

Some while back I went through all of the carburetor kits I had on hand and made scans of the gaskets and diaphragms and put them in a binder to help with identification. Should come in handy on this project.

20230321_074813.jpg

20230321_074824.jpg

20230321_074850.jpg

Mark

P.S. Being retired is a pretty good deal most days...

Latest posts

Back