McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20230531_153656.jpg

Jethro - the Super 250 used the flat back (Walbro MAC) carburetor with a choke. Some folks will complain that they unreliable but in fact I think they perform better than the Tillotson HL although they do seem to be more sensitive to adjustments, particularly on the H setting.

I recently tested several different fuel pump diaphragms that are being made by a member here and he is currently working on the metering diaphragms so "kits" for those carburetors are still pretty easy to find. Bob Johnson was making some before he got out of it, and Sugar Creek Supply has been producing them for years although you ususally have to find someone selling them on eBay as Joe Salva is hard to contact himself.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Will see if she runs in the next couple days. But possibly requires a carb birthday or who knows what else. The spur on it is toast and the 250 is setup with a rim and looks to be 404 chain but the clutch drum is very loose so will pull both off n see what I can cobble up.

Jeffrey. Your efforts are much appreciated by many :)

Mass panic at the Kern ranch. Went to cut the other day and my favorite 700 quit. Started great like normal, set it down to warm up for a second and it just suddenly died like someone hit the switch. No stumbling around , loading up or anything just purring nicely one second, dead as a door nail the next. Hasn't even tried since.
Not had time to pop covers off but I'm praying for a grounded out coil wire or something easy. I love that saw!
My guess is your electronic ignition module is kaput.They'll go bad just like that.

The 250 was left hand. The clue I neglected to take heed of was the holes in the spider to be a right hand pull clutch:(
The spur is sad so will tig up the grooves.

The snapped thread I'm thinking I can build up and tap a new thread or.... Weld the clutch on hehe or drill and tap an M6 thread.

Or bin it lol20230602_121926.jpg20230602_121934.jpg

Another question for the 10-10 oil pump with one mounting screw & the spring clip.How the heck does the spring clip go into the oil tank?Does it go in behind the oil pump?
I git the 2 oil pumps on today along with the clutch & ignition system & the muffler.No spark,so I gotta dig into that more.After looking at the IPL I've gotta pull the clutch again & put the shim behind the clutch,that was missing from the original saw.

Those 250 s are plentiful. If you want to replace it...one will show up.
Well I have a standard 250 but really can't be assed stripping it down. Seriously considering welding it on. It's not going to need to come off and if it does a simple grinder job to remove it

Just talking to the clever machinist. Can try welding a thread to it. Could pull it out and grow it back and re thread it in the lathe.

Still seems quick n simple if a little (or alot) red neckery

You had the only keyed crankshaft without a chipped keyway left in the entire world and....

If you could drill and tap the crankshaft and make a "cap" to hold the clutch, that would be my first choice but I don't have the ability to weld it up and then try and recut the threads...that material is very hard by the way.

The 250 crankshaft won't work for the Super 250, the 250 is an 80cc saw with 1.375" stroke and the Super is 87 cc with 1.5" stroke. Besides that, the Super is 9/16" at the clutch with the tapered end and the 250 is 5/8" at the clutch and threaded for the clutch.

Ed - According to the IPL's the Super 44 and 1-75 use the same clutch. More on the 1-75's to follow...

This helps illustrate how the spring clip gets wedged in there. Be sure to work both sides as you're pushing it back and get it all the way to the back of the oil tank.

DSCN5918.JPG

Mark

I did get the 795L cleaned up and moved into the display today. That was a McCulloch "ProMac" bar with most of the paint falling off, the Harbor Freight surface preparation tool made it shine again.

20230601_123344.jpg

20230601_123351.jpg

20230601_123403.jpg

I din't take a photo but this one had a badly chipped keyway in the crankshaft under the clutch. I was able to get the key fit in what was left of the keyway and the clutch on and tightened down. I'm sure it will work for display purposes. I would not hesitate to use it for some cutting as the taper was still mostly intact and the nut holds it all together.

Mark

Ed - According to the IPL's the Super 44 and 1-75 use the same clutch. More on the 1-75's to follow...

This helps illustrate how the spring clip gets wedged in there. Be sure to work both sides as you're pushing it back and get it all the way to the back of the oil tank.

A thicker putty knife is ones friend doing this. Slide right under adjustment screw... set on bottom of clip.. a sharp tap with the palm. its seated to the back of oil reservoir

Latest posts

Back