McCulloch Mac 15 bar and chain size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulO2000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Mac15 without a bar and chain. It looks like it is in otherwise complete shape. I've seen a manual, but the one I have done not have bar or chain information. I'd like to get a bar and chain to fully get this one up and running.

Does anyone know what the specifications of the bar and chain would be or a model that uses a similar chain.

Attachments

• Mac 15-1.jpg
    Mac 15-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Mac 15-2.jpg
    Mac 15-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Mac 15-3.jpg
    Mac 15-3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Only info I see is it uses .404 chain. And holy cow looks like it was made from 62 to 88 didn’t think they made that style of saw that long.

Thank you for the pitch number. Mike Acre's site is a bit confusing, since there are four different pages on the Mac 15. The 1988 date must be a typo. This saw is heavy compared with the newer ones.

It would be nice if the site had more details on the bar, but it is nice that I at least know the min and max size of the bar, again something the manual is missing.
Looking at the 1963 manual I see figure #2 (image attached) that might give me a clue as the the type of bar.

The 1968 IPL lists the bar part number as #66977.

Attachments

• figure 2-chain.JPG
    figure 2-chain.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for the pitch number. Mike Acre's site is a bit confusing, since there are four different pages on the Mac 15. The 1988 date must be a typo. This saw is heavy compared with the newer ones.

It would be nice if the site had more details on the bar, but it is nice that I at least know the min and max size of the bar, again something the manual is missing.
Looking at the 1963 manual I see figure #2 (image attached) that might give me a clue as the the type of bar.

The 1968 IPL lists the bar part number as #66977.
A lot of Mac saws on that site don’t list bar mount pattern same goes for stihl

The first one apparently it’s looks like the old power products type saws at least my eatons was not cheap back then $180 or so new in 1957 that around $1700 in today’s money.
Are you looking for .311 pitch Kolve chain?

MAC15...I have the part number 66977 listed for the saw in an IPL. This is a bar and chain pictures from mine, it is .404

Attachments

• MAC15_chain2.JPG
    MAC15_chain2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • MAC15_chain1.JPG
    MAC15_chain1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
MAC15...I have the part number 66977 listed for the saw in an IPL. This is a bar and chain pictures from mine, it is .404
Thank you JohnL and heimannm. I'm concerned about the bar mount pattern and I don't know how interchangeable McCulloch made their bars. I did not, using JohnL's photo a bar that may work in one of the links heimannm posted. This is more info than I had before. Thank you.
Dave86, I'm looking for a .404 pitch chain. I can probably get one new I suppose, which is fine with me. I just have not looked for one yet. I get the feeling a chain will be easier to find than a bar.

There are a ton of used bars and chains around for those. In all honesty I highly doubt you will run the saw enough to wear out a used chain with decent tooth left. I really cannot see you wearing out a decent used bar. As Mark said tons on a popular auction site as well as other places. I am sure I could scrounge up a few but I do not think I ever had a Mac 15 saw.

Latest posts

Back