McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for that troublesome 2.1 oiler.....I put a dummy line on the pump & into the top of the oil tank today.I could watch it draw the oil out of the tank & go through the line to the pump,but nothing came out at the bar pad.I'll try a new O ring as my last option,then if it still doesn't work I'll have a field day with it in the driveway smashing the hell out of it.
It's gotta be something you can fix...

Is the oil filling the pump body or getting into the crankcase past the pump piston?

When I rebuilt my Mini Mac 35, the pump body was completely full of oil, and the pump was missing parts. You could see it was also running into the crankcase.

It's gotta be something you can fix...

Is the oil filling the pump body or getting into the crankcase past the pump piston?

When I rebuilt my Mini Mac 35, the pump body was completely full of oil, and the pump was missing parts. You could see it was also running into the crankcase.
It's a brand new pump from Mark H.,not missing any parts.If it's something I could fix I sure as shootin' would've fixed it by now.Only thing left to replace now is the O ring.

I'd like to make a running saw from these 2 Macs but it's clear to me how interchangeable the parts are. One is an "MS1635" made in Taiwan in the 2000's???
The other, I believe, is a factory refurb 3516, made in Mexico. The 3516 is anti-vibe, the 1635 isn't. It says "35cc" on the clutch cover and has an EPA sticker that says 38cc.
20221211_101844.jpg
20221211_101901.jpg20221211_102011.jpg20221211_101939_HDR.jpg
20221211_101907.jpg20221211_101913_HDR.jpg20221211_101929.jpg

They are very interchangeable. The only real difference is the non-antivibe model will have a bumber on top of the head that is missing on the anti-vibe version. The throttle operator on the rigid saw is a link between the trigger and the carburetor, the throttle operator on the anti-vibe saw is a cable from the trigger to the carburetor, but the rigid saw has everything but the clamping screw for the cable already in place.

Mark

I think all I really need is a carb kit, I have fuel lines and a fuel bulb I can use. Both saws have great spark and compression. Nothing fancy or mighty but would make a nice knock-around saw when I'd rather leave a Mini Mac in the shop.

That doesn't surprise me, just going by "seat of the pants" feel I don't think my 4218 Poulan would cut faster than my 30cc Mini Macs. The Minis feel much more torquey and responsive.

My dad just gave me a Homelite 240, I want to get that fixed up and compare it to my SP40.

I pulled the oil pump off the E.B.2.1 today so I could get the O ring out to take to the hardware store.Somehow I lost the piston,spring,& the plastic piece that goes in the pump.I guess that's why it wouldn't pump oil past the pump body.To top things off,my son informed me that he can't take me to the hardware store because one of his strut springs broke today on his way home from work.I still have the parts needed from the old oil pump,but a new pump is now shot to hell.

Welp.... yeah installing the oil pump without any of the internal parts will definitely keep it from working. Easy to make a mistake when you're already pissed off at something (I know from experience)
We're lucky we have Mark to support all our Mac rebuilds with parts, haha.

My neighbors are used to the noise by now, haha. At least I wasn't out tuning it at midnight like I have before (when my MM25 would not run right).
The MM6 is very yellow :) Very little black accents like the later ones. I really like the retro clutch cover, very smooth lines compared to my later Minis.
All I have to decide is what goes on the bench next:
- Homelite 240
- Mac 10-10 Automatic (needs major TLC)
- Mac 3516 Made in Taiwan (McCurroch)

I have enough parts to put one more Mini Mac together, but I have to decide whether to use a well-used manual oiler Mini Mac 6 engine, or replace the crank bearings in my super-clean Mini Mac 30 that some dipchit ran the chain too tight.

Oh to be so lucky to have such understanding neighbors! It's the same here. But then again, I have very... "Interesting" neighbors, so I don't think they would mind noise at odd hours either. :)

I wish you luck on whichever project you do next.
I do have a project... now two (the dirty 10 series and non oiling 240) that I'd like to knock out quickly as well.

That 240 that you have, is it the SL version or just the plastic "safety" guard?

All the best.

M

I work on Homies quite a bit & I have a couple of 240s that I haven't really gotten around to yet.I do know that with a no oiling problem you should probably check your oil lines first.

I work on Homies quite a bit & I have a couple of 240s that I haven't really gotten around to yet.I do know that with a no oiling problem you should probably check your oil lines first.

Thanks Edju, I'm assuming a line got kinked somehow.
I can see the impulse from the oiler hole, but it will not draw any from the tank.

I will take a look when I have a chance.

M

Thanks Edju, I'm assuming a line got kinked somehow.
I can see the impulse from the oiler hole, but it will not draw any from the tank.

I will take a look when I have a chance.

M
I don't know how reliable those oil pumps are,but just by looking at them they seem to be quite cheaply made.Also,I don't know if they can be serviced,like taken apart & cleaned,or a diaphragm replaced.I can look into it if you need any further help.

Lots of changes from the Mini Mac, look at how easy it is to work on the carb!
Do they feel nose-heavy with the engine further toward the bar and the tank in the back?

Back