McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not elegant or pretty but another mini mac recoil repaired with PVC, haha.
However, this works when the wimpy plastic "cup" shatters into pieces. It's also probably 5 times as strong. Sure beats spending $30 on a cracked one on Ebay!
This work of art will go in my Mini Mac 6 project.
20221127_133205.jpg
20221127_133219.jpg
20221127_133157.jpg

Do any of you guys know if the Mini Mac 6 used a different fitting on the fuel line pickup on the tank? What is going on here?
The tank appears the same, but the MM6 has just a little slot on the bottom of the housing which the tab on the fuel pickup doesn't fit into like the later Mini Macs.
You can see the slot is physically smaller on the MM6 housing. I can't see any way the fitting rests in there correctly.
Do I grab the Dremel? Did the MM6 use some kind of weird fitting? I have 2 MM6 saws and both have the usual fuel pickup so Im at a loss, it doesn't seem like the right one....

Fuel tank with the pickup:

20221202_093523.jpg

MM6 housing:

20221202_093537_HDR.jpg
Doesn't seem to fit the slot:

Does the fitting rotate to the left or right 90 degrees??
20221202_093747.jpg

MM30 housing which fits with the bigger slot on the bottom:

20221202_093603_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20221202_093603_HDR.jpg
    20221202_093603_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The earliest MM6 models did use a different fuel line/fitting between the tank and the carburetor. The fuel line had a sort of bulb molded on the end that fit in the tank.

1669993456964.png

That said, I think the later style nylon fitting can be used on the early MM6 housings but you may have to insert the tab at a bit of an angle to go through the slot/hole, then the little ramp on the fitting will lock it into place. In the worst case you may have to file the slot in the housing to allow the tab on the fitting to slip through. You do need that fitting to lock into place in the housing to hold it as you slip the tank off and on.

1669993556985.png

Mark

You are the man Mark, I had a feeling you'd chime in.
Interestingly I also have that rubber bulb fuel line as well, it's pliable and looks perfect! But alas it's not even close to fitting snugly in the tank and would just leak right out. Maybe there is some shrinkage with its age? (Insert laugh track).
I think I will do the unthinkable and dremel out the slot to fit the new style fitting tab, as you said it's necessary to hold it in place.
This also seems to confirm I have a pretty early MM6? (Along with the weird gas caps)

Thanks!

20221202_105521.jpg

20221202_105700.jpg

I've posted here before about the oiler (s) on the E.B.2.1 & got no response.This O ring is from under the oil pump on an E.B.2.1.I had the pump apart completely today & see no reason why it won't work,but yet it doesn't.The hose to the bar pad & the opening at the bar pad are clear.The only thing I can possibly think of is the O ring has become flattened & it's possibly not sealing?I've got a new oil pump coming from Mark.I also believe the oil tank isn't venting.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
I don't know how similar / different an Eager Beaver oil pump is to a Mini Mac oil pump, but assuming that phenolic disc thing is operating from the crankcase pulses, there is that tiny check-ball gizmo that needs to work in order to pump oil.
Mark is an expert on those things, if the little check ball gets stuck you CAN possibly get it freed up.
More so than the O-ring, I'd guess the check ball is stuck, assuming the pump is assembled correctly.
I just thank God when they work, haha

I don't know how similar / different an Eager Beaver oil pump is to a Mini Mac oil pump, but assuming that phenolic disc thing is operating from the crankcase pulses, there is that tiny check-ball gizmo that needs to work in order to pump oil.
Mark is an expert on those things, if the little check ball gets stuck you CAN possibly get it freed up.
More so than the O-ring, I'd guess the check ball is stuck, assuming the pump is assembled correctly.
I just thank God when they work, haha
I've used 2 different pump bodies,so that'd mean the check ball/valve is stuck on both.If I put the new pump in & get the same results we can throw that theory out the window.BTW,the oil pump in the 2.1 is the same pump as what was used in the MM.I can disassemble the pump again & run it through my ultrasonic cleaner with Goof Off graffiti remover,it's high in acetone.

I've used 2 different pump bodies,so that'd mean the check ball/valve is stuck on both.If I put the new pump in & get the same results we can throw that theory out the window.BTW,the oil pump in the 2.1 is the same pump as what was used in the MM.I can disassemble the pump again & run it through my ultrasonic cleaner with Goof Off graffiti remover,it's high in acetone.
I missed it if you mentioned trying 2 different pump bodies, it's very unlikely they both have stuck check balls.
It looks like the Mini Mac and EB oil pumps are a little different, the MM pumps do not have the elbow fitting on the front of the pump with that check valve disc, at all. It's just a T-shaped fitting that goes to the oil tank and then into the top of the pump.
Do you have that plastic "cup" that goes in the pump body before the spring or piston?
Other thing is that when you install the pump, you have to press the disc into the body past the pump opening and make sure it moves in and out smoothly and without resistance. I had a pump not work because the disc (piston) was sort of stuck at the opening of the pump body.

Mark is going to kill me for modifying an original Mini Mac 6 housing (kidding), but this looks like it will work.
Dremel with a carbide burr worked real nice.
It's turned a little but seems to catch the opening good enough. Now time to put the saw together.

Attachments

• 20221203_105449.jpg
    20221203_105449.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 0
I missed it if you mentioned trying 2 different pump bodies, it's very unlikely they both have stuck check balls.
It looks like the Mini Mac and EB oil pumps are a little different, the MM pumps do not have the elbow fitting on the front of the pump with that check valve disc, at all. It's just a T-shaped fitting that goes to the oil tank and then into the top of the pump.
Do you have that plastic "cup" that goes in the pump body before the spring or piston?
Other thing is that when you install the pump, you have to press the disc into the body past the pump opening and make sure it moves in and out smoothly and without resistance. I had a pump not work because the disc (piston) was sort of stuck at the opening of the pump body.
The pump has all the components installed properly.The pump's piston is working smoothly,not hanging up at all.I think I might've forgotten to mention that when I pump the piston manually oil comes back out of the inlet opening.I spoke with Mark about this & he concurred that the check ball is sticking.Both pump bodies have been idle for yrs.,so it is possible that both of them could have stuck check balls.When I pulled the pump off again yesterday the base of where the pump attaches was covered with a generous supply of oil.I should get the new pump on Tues.that I ordered from Mark.I'll see what happens after that's installed.

The pump has all the components installed properly.The pump's piston is working smoothly,not hanging up at all.I think I might've forgotten to mention that when I pump the piston manually oil comes back out of the inlet opening.I spoke with Mark about this & he concurred that the check ball is sticking.Both pump bodies have been idle for yrs.,so it is possible that both of them could have stuck check balls.When I pulled the pump off again yesterday the base of where the pump attaches was covered with a generous supply of oil.I should get the new pump on Tues.that I ordered from Mark.I'll see what happens after that's installed.
Well there ya go, hopefully the new pump is all you need. I have one pump that I think has the check ball stuck, fortunately I had a spare.
My latest Mini Mac rebuild is a manual-oiler only saw, not much to leak or stop working.

I got the MM6 engine installed in the case but I'm not entirely thrilled with the fuel line, because of the nylon fitting it's pushing the fuel line up into a corner of the coil. It would probably work but it will bother me forever....
I might take a little more material out of the housing on that slot to see if it gives some relief. At this point if it doesn't work that MM6 housing will just go in a box and not get used.

Mini Mac

View attachment 1037704

300 Series

View attachment 1037705

It would not surprise me if all the internal parts were exactly the same. That ball was stuck so tightly that I had to take a piece of wire and break it loose. Just old oil doing its thing.

Mark
I agree with you on that Mark,it wouldn't be feasable for Mac to have made totally different parts for similar oilers.Use & reuse was their motto.

Latest posts

Back