McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh I see, haven't owned a 300 series, so Im assuming an entirely different layout with the oil tank further from the engine.
I'd also agree the internals of the pump are probably all identical.

Well I got the new oil pump from Mark yesterday & I put it in the E.B.2.1 today & it still won't oil.It doesn't matter if the tank is full,on
it's side,upright,if I stand on my head & sing.It just plain refuses to oil.I can try putting a dummy line in it & see if that works,but I'm running out of options here.Might as well chuck it in the pile of other useless 300 series saws.

Well I got the new oil pump from Mark yesterday & I put it in the E.B.2.1 today & it still won't oil.It doesn't matter if the tank is full,on
it's side,upright,if I stand on my head & sing.It just plain refuses to oil.I can try putting a dummy line in it & see if that works,but I'm running out of options here.Might as well chuck it in the pile of other useless 300 series saws.
Are you able to confirm that oil flows out of the tank? I wonder if there could be an obstruction or if the manual oiler is somehow not letting oil to the pump?

Are you able to confirm that oil flows out of the tank? I wonder if there could be an obstruction or if the manual oiler is somehow not letting oil to the pump?
The manual oiler is the problem,the saw doesn't run.I figured that I'd get the oiler working before I messed with the carb.So far nothing works.Yes,oil does come out of the hose when it's disconnected from the pump.The only thing I can think of is the line must have a hairline crack that's sucking air.

So I was a bit confused...I didn't realize the 2.1 wasn't even running, you're just trying to get the manual oiler to work.

I wonder if the manual oiler plunger could be bad? It sounds a bit different than a Mini Mac, is the manual oiler a part of the oil tank?

So I was a bit confused...I didn't realize the 2.1 wasn't even running, you're just trying to get the manual oiler to work.

I wonder if the manual oiler plunger could be bad? It sounds a bit different than a Mini Mac, is the manual oiler a part of the oil tank?
The manual oiler on a 300 series saw is integrated into the pump body (see pic on previous page about 3/4 of the way down the page,posted by Mark H.).The new oil pump has both the manual & automatic oilers in it,therefore it's practically impossible for the manual oiler to be bad.If I'm not mistaken,the manual oiler must be pumped to prime the automatic oiler.

The manual oiler on a 300 series saw is integrated into the pump body (see pic on previous page about 3/4 of the way down the page,posted by Mark H.).The new oil pump has both the manual & automatic oilers in it,therefore it's practically impossible for the manual oiler to be bad.If I'm not mistaken,the manual oiler must be pumped to prime the automatic oiler.
Ok...yeah very different than a Mini Mac then.

So nothing happens when you pump the oiler? I wonder if you could experiment with a piece of fuel line attached to something with bar oil straight to the pump.

Old-school cool... the little Mini Mac 6 is together, I found a date of September 1972 on the carb.
Stubby 10" bar, original McCulloch 1/4 chain, no safety features of any kind, I'd better respect this tiny beast.
Test-run very soon, confirmed the manual oiler works (it's manual only). And yes that is what the muffler should look like, no louvered cover, I included a pic of the setup paperwork as proof.
I think I am missing an insert in the top handle, unless some very early MM6's were sold like that?? It's not very comfortable so I might swap in a different yellow handle that I have.
This little bugger has a lot of compression and is tight, extremely little running on it. Should make a fun addition to my lineup of puny McCullochs!

Edit: thanks to Mark Heimann for supplying some parts!

20221207_232425.jpg20221207_231156_HDR.jpg20221207_231143.jpg20221207_231147.jpg20221207_231753.jpg20221207_231247.jpg20221207_232110.jpg20221207_231231_HDR.jpg20221207_231301.jpg

Attachments

• 20221207_231156_HDR.jpg
    20221207_231156_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Well everyone, the year is coming to an end (finally) and I'm starting to wind down.
I have one last project I'd like to complete before the end of the month.

And on that note: I had a little time and started monkeying around with the Eager Beaver.
I was able to get the thing running, but have yet to cut with it or do any fine tuning.
Really looking forward to running this little saw. Maybe I'll post a couple of pictures of the thing later on.

To be continued...

I have two E.B.2.1 saws.One I'm currently working on the troublesome oiler,the other one runs like a champ.It'll cut through wood like no tomorrow with a 14 in.bar & chain.I wouldn't doubt it could handle a 16 in.B&C with ease.I'm surprised you don't have a 2.1.

As for that troublesome 2.1 oiler.....I put a dummy line on the pump & into the top of the oil tank today.I could watch it draw the oil out of the tank & go through the line to the pump,but nothing came out at the bar pad.I'll try a new O ring as my last option,then if it still doesn't work I'll have a field day with it in the driveway smashing the hell out of it.

Well today was the trial run of the Mini Mac 6, and after the week I've had I'm happy to say it was a huge success. Took less than 15 pulls to prime and start, a few adjustments to the carb and it's running like a new saw. I didn't even have to touch the idle adjustment. Not bad for a saw that's probably been sitting in a box for decades in pieces.
It has a ton of compression, my PVC repaired recoil works perfectly, and it has that great Mini Mac blarty / farty exhaust sound. My favorite quirky thing is that ridiculous "muffler" that you can literally look in and see the piston. When I shut it off I watched the piston come to a stop, haha.

20221210_142330.jpg

Pictures please! Haha

I will (hopefully) get a couple of decent pictures soon.

Well today was the trial run of the Mini Mac 6, and after the week I've had I'm happy to say it was a huge success. Took less than 15 pulls to prime and start, a few adjustments to the carb and it's running like a new saw. I didn't even have to touch the idle adjustment. Not bad for a saw that's probably been sitting in a box for decades in pieces.
It has a ton of compression, my PVC repaired recoil works perfectly, and it has that great Mini Mac blarty / farty exhaust sound. My favorite quirky thing is that ridiculous "muffler" that you can literally look in and see the piston. When I shut it off I watched the piston come to a stop, haha.

View attachment 1039558

That is a cool looking saw. You just got to love that "piss off the neighbors in record time" sound, right?

Well done, MacAttack.

M

I will (hopefully) get a couple of decent pictures soon.

That is a cool looking saw. You just got to love that "piss off the neighbors in record time" sound, right?

Well done, MacAttack.

M
My neighbors are used to the noise by now, haha. At least I wasn't out tuning it at midnight like I have before (when my MM25 would not run right).
The MM6 is very yellow :) Very little black accents like the later ones. I really like the retro clutch cover, very smooth lines compared to my later Minis.
All I have to decide is what goes on the bench next:
- Homelite 240
- Mac 10-10 Automatic (needs major TLC)
- Mac 3516 Made in Taiwan (McCurroch)

I have enough parts to put one more Mini Mac together, but I have to decide whether to use a well-used manual oiler Mini Mac 6 engine, or replace the crank bearings in my super-clean Mini Mac 30 that some dipchit ran the chain too tight.

Back