McCulloch Paint Schemes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1984

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I’m restoring a S550 and was wondering if their is any info on the correct paint schemes to these saws. Like for example I see sometimes the cylinders are painted and sometimes not, recoil covers sometimes are black ect. Also was wondering what’s the correct yellow because I heard McCulloch changed yellows a few times and also is the black a gloss or maybe more of a flat? I’m trying to bring this saw to exact factory looks down to the screws. Thanks!

Rustoleum fine texture black, I think the code is 7220. My local Menards where I get most of my supplies has not had it in stock for months but I keep looking every time I go in.

I think the Rustoleum Sunburst yellow is a good match for the later Pro Mac saws, I have used some different Industrial Safety Yellow or John Deere yellow for the older saws and SP models. Sometimes you have to use a light coat of one over the top of another to try and get the shade very close.

One thing I have been noticing going through parts is that McCulloch seemed to give up trying to match the yellow on later replacement parts like the starters, flywheel housing, and clutch covers and just made them black. I even have a few that were clearly painted black over a previous coat of yellow.

Mark

^

The Super 550 probably had a crinkle black paint but those are very hard to match. Motorcycle shops often can get some fairly expensive spray cans of crinkle black but I find they are very unreliable, the cans routinely don't spray at all. I have chosen to go with the fine texture black as noted above (Rustoleum 7220) and like the results.

Mark

Latest posts

Back