McCulloch PM610 quick oiler question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:)

Just joined to ask this question, since there is a lot of knowledgable people here.

Got a PM610, - did not run, but cleaned and adjusted the carburetor, and it works like a charm now. Love the saw. I like all these old power saws...

The bar was really dented and bad though, so I got a 28' bar and chain for it. I know some people say that that's to big, but it worked OK on this saw (for some reason it was cheaper than a 24').

The problem started when I opened up a turn or a turn or a half or so on the automatic oiler, because I thougt that a bigger bar needed more oiling (old bar was about 20') Result is that the whole thing is getting drenched in bar oil, - including the clutch, so that after a while saw runs at full rpm, but chain does not move... I clean it up with brake cleaner spray, but it does not last for long. Silly as I am, I am not totally sure how much I opened the oiler screw up, so my question is what is the normal opening level of this oiling screw, and how much should it be for a "big" bar like this???

Looking forward to any help:)

The automatic oil pump operates off a crankcase impulse signal like the fuel pump in the carburetor. Each saw has a bit of personality in terms of how much oil the pump puts out, but yours seems to be really over the top. I would start by turning the adjusting screw in three or four turns and see how much difference that makes.

I have owned and operated a number of the 600 Series saws but I've never seen one that over oiled to the extent that you are describing.

Mark

I agree with Mark. You aren't by chance over using the manual oiler? A couple turns of the automatic oiler screw shouldn't be causing your issues. Are you using a correct bar and is the bar excessively oiling as well? Make sure the bar plates are clean and the bar fits tight against them also.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your advice both. I have turned the oiling screw in a couple of turns now. So at the moment it is set about 3,5 turns out from lightly seated. Also, I might have gone a bit too heavy on the manual oiler as mnmacguy suggested. And yes... The bar was drenched in oil as well. I think the bar is legit. It is branded McCulloch, and I got it from a shop in the US, so I doubt it is any "flawed Chinese copy." (Picture enclosed).

I am going to run the saw in wood again tomorrow, or as soon as I can, and I'll let you know how it worked.

Another question though: That little metal piece gasket or whatever (see pictures). Logically to me, that is supposed to be between the bar and the engine. However,- on the service manual, it is between the bar and the cover, so that is where I have put it. What is the correct placement for this little thing???

20210706_141044.jpg20210709_004324.jpg20210709_004632.jpg

Hello again, and thanks for input, manual and everything. The oiling issue seems to be more or less under control now. But I am worried about this missing piece. I have googled a bit, but it does not seem to be anything available at the moment on Ebay or elsewhere. Also, the illustration is a bit vague, so does anyone have a picture of this inner shield plate? Is this a crucial part, or can the saw still be used normally? I know that PM610 parts tend to come back on the net periodically, but should I stop using it in the meantime?

Hello, I did see this item on Ebay, but it did not look anything like I expected it to. This covers more of an area than I thought it would, and it seems to be installed underneath the clutch, so I was not sure if it was the part I was after (but since it isn't there on my PM610 at the moment, I should probably have known)... However, after reading your comments I went into Ebay to try to buy it, and it seems that it's already sold (out of stock). Hopefully another one will turn up soon. In the meantime, I might "retire" the saw until it is complete with all parts.

And thank you so much Mark, for being willing to trust and help me out with any possible shipping issues. I appreciate that very much!

Thank you Mark:) Unfortunately this fellow is not shipping to Norway. I'll take your offer of buying it for me if it still stands. Do you have a PayPal account, so that I can transfer money to you?

Thank you so much for your help. Clicked on your name, to send you my name and adress, but I could not find out how to go about sending you a PM. How does it work?

When you click on the name you will see a pop up screen, at the bottom of the screen are three options: Follow, Ignore, and Start conversation. To start a conversation (we generally refer to them as a Private Message or PM) click on that box. In the upper right hand corner of your screen you will see an icon that looks like an envelope, look there for notifications that you have a new message including right now...

Mark

Back