McCulloch Pro Mac 700 Engine Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, to whom it may concern,
I apologize if I may possibly be in the wrong place to be asking this, and if anyone is kind enough to get me the right forum, I thank you. I’m obviously new.

I have a question about the McCulloch Pro Mac 700’s engine cylinder.
Is the cylinder bore on this particular model chainsaw chrome plated or is it sleeved with cast iron/steel?

I can’t find any info on acres net because that spec is not listed on the 700. I’m trying to find this out because I’m wanting at least one good old muscle saw in my little collection that features a sleeved cylinder bore. It’s not because of any kind perceived of performance advantage, that’s not why. I understand the most killer performance chainsaws ever made have had plated bores and pistons, not sleeved ones. It’s for purely nostalgia reasons only.
I’ve even sent an email to Buckin Billy Ray and am waiting for an answer back from him, since he really does have a love for old Mac saws….and I can completely understand why he does.
Anyway, humbly I thank anyone who can give me the info on this.

Yup LBR makes a piston ,but unfortunately for their McCulloch line up they have some notoriously bad design flaws that members here and elsewhere have made them aware of.
Regardless of what comes in the kit never use their supplied bearings for the piston, it will eventually lead to tragedy. Oem piston bearings only for any success.

Yup LBR makes a piston ,but unfortunately for their McCulloch line up they have some notoriously bad design flaws that members here and elsewhere have made them aware of.
Regardless of what comes in the kit never use their supplied bearings for the piston, it will eventually lead to tragedy. Oem piston bearings only for any success.
I didn’t know that my Macs haven’t needed a piston. I do know their Husky pistons and ring work quite well.

Ok so there's a " Beg for manuals" thread mostly run by some very generous people on here. Do a search of the threads and ask nicely, they will hook you up.
Hi, I reviewed a recent posting of your saying that you had three 700s. I thought you might be able to help with a lead on the service manual. Excusssssssse me if you didn’t think I reached out properly. Take care. Joe

Yeah the pop up husqvarna piston I got from them was decent and works well but for some reason they won't fix the piston pin issues with the McCulloch.
The pioneer pistons have the same issue. Welcome to the site Huskeysheperd. You came to the right place, hope you get the old Mac running again.

Back