Melted poulan chainbrake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a co worker I'm friends with discovered I like playing with chainsaws and sheepishly admitted to having had some trouble a few weeks back with his new saw. Dunno if he bought it new or is just new to him, but either way he said after a few tanks of gas it only made smoke. English aint his first language so say first I thought he straight gassed it, but when he brought it in to work I saw the chain was on backwards and the plastic closest to the clutch has melted and fused to the clutch. It looks brand new otherwise. I figure either he ran it with the brake on, or he tried REALLY HARD to cut limbs with the chain rubbing backwards and eventually built up enough heat to melt the cover on.
I think I'll try to get it from him and break the cover free and either fix or replace it, but do y'all think the crank seal is DEFINITELY ruined or just probably ruined? I want to help manage his expectations before I offer to wrench on it

Ive seen them melt the plastic, and bell out the clutch and not hurt the seal somehow.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hi :) that will be interesting. There really is no point in guessing, we could all do that and it won’t mean anything. Pressure and vac test it when you get it and go from there. One thing I have learnt, most saws will cost more to repair than they are worth, but do it right with OEM parts. Either way enjoy the process, challenge and reward.

I had one that was REALLY smoked by the owner. Clutch springs were no longer springs, oil pump was melted, all surrounding plastic was melted and even fused into the chain brake mechanism, not just the band. Part of the engine case that mounts the oil pump was melted but the clutch drum bearing survived and so did the seal on the clutch side. Tediously rebuilt the engine case, restored the brake, new clutch and new oil pump and it ran like the new saw it was (only a couple of tanks through it).

I have a Husky 55 Rancher that was pretty well heated up when I got it, not sure how previous operator wouldn't notice?!?

I worked on a newer pouland 50cc saw for a guy and wasn't impressed at all by anything about it! Bulky, cheap plastics, heavy, parts didn't mate well together, and just overall sloppy!

Dunno if he bought it new or is just new to him, but either way he said after a few tanks of gas it only made smoke. English aint his first language

68db54c6-f702-4b03-b0a9-61f1fc9c5b4f-jpeg.660966

"I keep pullee trigger but saw no workie! Pull pull pull! Moo moo moo! Pull pull pull! Moo moo moo! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Sound like stupid moo cow! Smell like stinky dung fire!"

"Wat u mean 'chain break'? Chain goodSAW breaked! Saw no workie! Want munnys back!"

"I keep pullee trigger but saw no workie! Pull pull pull! Moo moo moo! Pull pull pull! Moo moo moo! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Sound like stupid moo cow! Smell like stinky dung fire!"

"Wat u mean 'chain break'? Chain goodSAW breaked! Saw no workie! Want munnys back!"
Same thing with the guy who ruined the almost new Poulan that I worked on, only he spoke excellent english, was just stupid. The brake must have been set by bumping something and now the saw wouldn't rev up, just made smoke so he gave up and tried it again the next day and the day after that with the same results. Said "it's a 2-stroke, supposed to make smoke, cheap piece of crap". Sold it for parts and bought a Stihl.

My

My dude, I said he didn't speak great english so I couldn't get a clear report of what happened, not he don't talk good and is a moron, you know, just like anyone else that doesn't speak great english. Slow your roll

My dude, I said he didn't speak great english so I couldn't get a clear report of what happened, not he don't talk good and is a moron, you know, just like anyone else that doesn't speak great english. Slow your roll
Sorry, I guess I just "assumed" that somebody who puts a chain on a chainsaw backwards, and then beats on it long enough and hard enough to melt it down -- without once having the sense to, I dunno, maybe check if something's wrong? after five or ten minutes? -- is also somebody who probably isn't a rocket surgeon.
My bad. Lots of rocket surgeons do that!
Seriously, how does anybody try to cut wood with the chain on backwards for more than 3 seconds, regardless of what language they speak? I don't think that's something that even I would do, and I've done some pretty stupid stuff.

when he brought it in to work I saw the chain was on backwards and the plastic closest to the clutch has melted and fused to the clutch.

Back