metal roofing blade

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Anyone know which 6 1/2 inch blade is the best for cutting metal roofing..about 27 ga I think, not too thick..Diablo doesn't impress me,...its going on a makita cordless circular saw...
thanks

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
It isn't pretty, and it's very noisy, but I have made really good cuts in metal roofing with a circular saw and a carbide blade. A good quality carbide tipped blade that doesn't throw teeth. Wear safety glasses and stay out of the line of fire.

or a diamond dust blade would work.

Franny K

Franny K

xyz
I have the Makita XSS03Z 18-Volt 5-3/8-Inch Lithium-Ion Circular Trim Saw and a A-94524 blade for it that works quite well on 27 gauge galvanized and painted metal sheet. It seems they have other models that likely are better suited to the heat and do not bevel in 5 3/8 and 5 7/8. It is kind of limited to Makita blades as others use a smaller arbor hole. The arbor hole is 5/8 like 6 1/2, 7 1/4 blades. The carbides 50 of them have negative set as in angled back. If Makita does not have a 6 1/2" blade of similar construction those would likely work but the guard would not be ideal.

I looked for the rpm and it is 3600 for the saw and max 4500 printed on the blade.

babybart

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
Electric metal shears are what I use. If its a one time job they can be had at Harbor Freight for $70ish, more for a better brand at the box store of choice.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can also rent steel saws, just saying there is an appropriate tool for this job. Heck most panel companies will cut everything to size but your angled cuts these days. When I did my roof this spring I borrowed my uncles steel saw and couldn't believe I ever did a steel roof without one. The circular saw hack would be about the next best thing.

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
I may have to use the circular saw to cut down a sheet of 1/8"x48"x96" 5052 aluminum. I'm mMaking fenders that someone can stand on for the dual axle trailer and 8" wide gangplanks on the sides that are strong enough to stand on. The slide saw worked great cutting the 1/8"x2" aluminum angles.

Latest posts