Midsize SUVs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chevy's do break.
They just don't break the bank.
I have done many repairs on my old Suburban, very few that cost me very much.
Seeing as how I do the work myself, I would rather a $50 repair here and there than a $4,000 transmission less often.
That's just me.
I ain't knocking Toyotas.
I got 3 Chevy's they are not too expensive to fix but im sick of it.

Chevy's do break.
They just don't break the bank.
I have done many repairs on my old Suburban, very few that cost me very much.
Seeing as how I do the work myself, I would rather a $50 repair here and there than a $4,000 transmission less often.
That's just me.
I ain't knocking Toyotas.
$1,000 for a replacement of a failed cruise control module on a 2002 GMC is not a cheap.
Toyota still makes the 4-runner. I have worked on and driven one and they are a beefy little SUV. Other than abysmal fuel milage, the only problem is they are very pricy vehicle but they do hold their value. Ford is reported to be making the full-sized Broncho if you can afford to wait. Another option would be a Tacoma with a rear cap.
Don't be duped by the disinformation being published by the Technical Illiterates of Consumer Reports.

18.6 Average MPG (and 20-23 Highway MPG) isn't poor mileage for a 5th gen 6,500# body on frame, 4WD 4Runner.

$1,000 for a replacement of a failed cruise control module on a 2002 GMC is not a cheap.

Don't be duped by the disinformation being published by the Technical Illiterates of Consumer Reports.

18.6 Average MPG (and 20-23 Highway MPG) isn't poor mileage for a 5th gen 6,500# body on frame, 4WD 4Runner.
Mean wile we have full size pickup trucks that weigh the same getting 21 mpg in the city. Don't fool your self, Toyota makes a fine vehicle, but there are 2 constants with their suv/trucks, they rot like crazy and get crap mileage. Just the nature of the beast. 16 to 18 is garbage for that class of vehicle these days especially when the curb weight is under 5000 lbs. Don't know why you have the gross weight listed as curb weight. A 2013 max curb weight is listed at 4800lbs.

Fuel mileage is sort of a relative thing depending on home much you drive, how deep your pockets are and what you are intend to do with the vehicle. My old jeep ran a 4.0L inline six and it averaged 18mph and it pulled really well. My current truck runs a 6L with a 4:10 rear. It might get about 13mph with a tail wind. It also tows very well. Current commuter is an Accord with a 2L turbo. It averages 33mph and will go from 0 to60 in under 6sec if you do your part. I put about 36k a year on the commuter. For my needs in a commuter car, fuel mileage becomes a concern and is a big factor when vehicle shopping.

Toyota (at least in the states) has resisted the industry trend toward smaller fuel-efficient turbo charged engines. Some have begun to creep through in other countries. Toyota makes great iron. I would buy one of these Yaris GRs in a heartbeat if they brought them into the states. I can get the Honda.

Yaris GR vs Civic Type R: which is faster at the drag strip!? | MOTOR - YouTube

Totally agree.
I wanted a midsize SUV for utility purposes and the occasional family trip.
I have a little Focus for my commuter car.
These new turbo 4 midsize "SUVs" are nothing more than minivans for people who don't want a minivan.
Calling them an suv is a joke.
A Crossover Unibody is NOT an real SUV. Unibodies are made to save weight. Hardcore offroading will break them.

Mid-size body-on-frame SUVs are hard to find.

Most turbo-supercharged engines require premium gasoline.

A Crossover Unibody is NOT an real SUV. Unibodies are made to save weight. Hardcore offroading will break them.

Mid-size body-on-frame SUVs are hard to find.

Most turbo-supercharged engines require premium gasoline.
Where on God's green earth do you get this from? Most turbo vehicles don't require high test, haven't for years. There are plenty of off road capable unit body vehicles made. Have been for years. Look at every jeep Cherokee ever made, unibody. Pretty sure last time I was at Rausch creek there were plenty of them running around with all the full frame vehicles. Do everyone a favor and stop spewing false information. Yep Toyota is great, they have better engines over seas then we have here that are both turbo charged, powerful and get good economy.

We’ve been running Jeeps for years. 3 Grand Cherokee (96, 04, , 17) and a 2006 wrangler . They were all reliable. The wrangler can’t hold a candle to a grand Cherokee for traveling comfort . Our 17 gets about 23 mpg in mixed 2 lane and highway driving with the 3.6 litre. It’s got decent power but not great unless it’s turning pretty high rpm. It’s also outstanding on icy or snowy New England winter roads.

I Love my 2021 Jeep Wrangler
6A60F07A-DD82-4621-A197-B876CBC72FD6.jpeg

It has the 3.0 liter Turbo Diesel, 260 hp, 442 ft/#’s of torque, and I still get 30MPG on the highway, IF I keep my foot out of it

C992DC38-FF61-44D5-B728-9674B5ED5755.jpeg

The 6x10 enclosed trailer is quite a bit taller than the Jeep, even with the “V Nose “ it does feel the extra wind resistance, and really knocks the fuel mileage down, but most trailers do, at 65-75mph. It is only rated for 3,500# of trailer, but the Gladiator, with the same engine is rated at 6,750#, it isn’t the engine that is lacking, lighter Axles, brakes and a lighter vehicle, all add up to a lighter tow rating

I had an 01 Cherokee XJ, with the 4.0 liter in line 6, that pulled a 5,000# 24’ travel trailer very well, even with the 31” tires, never dropped below 38mph on Cabbage hill in Oregon, that is over 7 miles of near continuous 6% grade. The XJ struggled with the travel trailer after I put the 33” tires on it, but by that time, I had my F350 4x4 , and I rarely used the XJ for pulling the travel trailer after that

The Wrangler can take the 35” tires stock, but I plan on putting a 2.5” lift kit on it, for tire chain clearance
D491BA55-622E-4719-8929-5387E58E9F8D.jpeg
DD3EF91B-0616-4BEC-9740-338041CBF2E5.jpeg
427B9557-92BB-4BD0-A720-25B578EA1DA6.jpeg

we can get a bit of snow, and I have to be able to travel from home to Wenatchee, WA, Medford,OR even to Reno, NV for work, year round.

I put a LOT of Miles on for work, I bought the Wrangler a week before Christmas, and I already have over 18,000 miles on it. I still have a few more upgrades to do, even after the lift, but this is my Favorite Vehicle that I have ever owned, already

Doug

So.....been looking and I believe the last true midsize sUv by GM was the Trailblazer/Envoy in 2009.
5k lb towing, which is PLENTY for what I want, plus true 4wd.
That is what I will be looking for.
In the highest trim I can find.

I have no problem with a Toyota except people want an arm and s leg for them.
2006 Toyota 4 runner
267k miles
$15,000
No low ballers
Toyota’s in general hold their value but especially the Tacoma and 4r. If that 06 is a v8 it’s probably worth it. 06-09 v8s were great but due to their popularity and track record you can actually find the Lexus gx470 for less. Same truck, more features. Only reason I’ll sell mine is if I love the new tundra or they update the 4Runner to include a modern trans and ac seats in the off road model. I owe about 3k on it and could probably sell it for 30-35k. We’ve had it almost 5 years and put 76k miles on it. Paid $39,500 for it new.

Back