Milled a small madrone trunk today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finding a truly straight grained madrone is hard enough. It's dense but brittle.

I know nothing of its milling qualities, only it's holding/tension qualities in falling.

Many of them warp or twist nearly around themselves, similar to some manzanita.

A buddy of mine milled some Madrone for a table top and it pretty much did everything you DON'T want it to do. I spent some time reading on the various techniques used to try and keep Madrone straight and you might want to try something rather than just hope. Maybe just sandwich it between some straight boards with stickers and ratchet strap the lot? I had read about large scale operations doing something similar but with industrial banding machines. We have some Madrone flooring in our house and it looks great, but we did have to look for a while before finding an installer willing to work with it--still not sure why exactly. Anyways, that's a beautiful piece you milled and I hope it stays that way.

Dont they say soaking in antifreeze helps it not crack and twist.

I believe quarter sawing & then stacking well weighted is the most preferable way to manage the stuff that wants to twist... doesn't help if it's not straight to start with though

20211129_154736.jpgand I did cut the first piece in half since it was pretty narrow for how long it was and has a lot of bow and probably tension to it already. Thinking about ratched strapping the slabs or metal band so get the most out of it in the future

View attachment 945115and I did cut the first piece in half since it was pretty narrow for how long it was and has a lot of bow and probably tension to it already. Thinking about ratched strapping the slabs or metal band so get the most out of it in the future
I want that cookie in the middle right with the dumb looking face in it haha

Latest posts

Back