Milled lumber project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New firepit for a ranch is finished.
View attachment 930222
Looks great I'm getting an outdoor fireplace kit in a few weeks .
View attachment 930344View attachment 930345View attachment 930346View attachment 930347View attachment 930348

White oak, 2.5" thick when milled.
Finished table is about 2" thick, 11 feet long, and averages over 50" wide
13 coats of West Systems epoxy
More sanding & epoxy than I planned for, but was definitely worth it all in the end !
I'll get some pictures of the finished coat soon, this was the 12th coat, still had some bubbles & bugs
13 coats ? Must have used a few gallons , I've never gone over three myself same epoxy20200408_190004.jpg 20200412_162707.jpg

Looks great I'm getting an outdoor fireplace kit in a few weeks .

13 coats ? Must have used a few gallons , I've never gone over three myself same epoxy
13 brushed on coats, sanding between each coat.
Took 3 coats just to begin to seal the checks, and about 6 to seal the seam and knots
I'm into my 3rd gallon of 105
West Systems epoxy is not the one you used

13 brushed on coats, sanding between each coat.
Took 3 coats just to begin to seal the checks, and about 6 to seal the seam and knots
I'm into my 3rd gallon of 105
West Systems epoxy is not the one you used
Doh east epoxy is what I used . I seal with shellac first then pour the epoxy . Really cuts down on bubbles coming up from the wood .

Your table looks great

Doh east epoxy is what I used . I seal with shellac first then pour the epoxy . Really cuts down on bubbles coming up from the wood .

Your table looks great
Yours looks WAY better than mine ! I really should do the final coat when the space temperature is around 55-60. Would give me much more time to spread the epoxy out and get rid of the very small bubbles that the brush leaves. The size & weight of this project forced me to work outside for everything but the last coat. I was lucky enough that the weather co-operated enough on my day off to keep the garaged car in the yard and do the final coat in it’s spot.

Latest posts

Back