Milling a figured maple beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Decided to follow along as I milled this beam up today. Nice color throughout the log, but that awkward size where it’s not quite wide enough for slabs. I’ve done dimensional lumber like 1x8” boards with stuff like this before. I decided I might as well cut the largest beam I can and can always modify it later. I’ve got a rock wall fireplace in my house that needs a mantle. I’m slowly setting aside choice beams for that someday. So far I’ve got wild cherry and maple. I’ll be doing an oak soon as well. I forgot to hit record for the final cut with the 661 and granberg mill…so missed the big unveil when the sides came off. Oh well…

Haven’t really messed with it much, hasn’t had a need to really. I’ve got the Granberg for my horizontal cuts and the homemade unit for vertical cuts. I suppose I could build a different base to roll along if I wanted to cut anything at angles. Like take a 8x8 and cut it in half at a 45° angle if I ever wanted to mess around in that aspect.

Back