Milling deep beams

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Granberg MKIII (I think) mill I've been using for around a decade. I primarily mill softwoods for timber framing that are longer than 16', as many mills around here don't like to mill over 16', and when they do, the bd/ft price goes up considerably.

I have to mill a few oddballs for a steeple restoration that aren't particularly long (around 14' in length), but they're beefy, 14"x15".

The maximum depth my mill can do is 13", so while I can make these 14x15's, with my current setup, I'd have to make four "First Cuts", which could be a huge pain depending on how twisted the log I'm going to be working with is.

Right now, I'm considering taking my mill to someone who can weld aluminium and having my depth rails extended from 13" to 20".

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. I checked Granberg's website, and didn't see them offering taller depth rails, plus, I have to do this by September, and am a little wary of shipping times right now, as Granberg says they're 5 weeks backordered.

Lastly, I don't know if anyone's covered this before, but I mill with a 288xp, and regarding adjusting chain tension, was tired of either having to take my mill off or having to mess around with a flathead bit & a 1/4" wrench, so I modified a clutch cover off of a 562xp, and it works like a charm. It's ugly as sin, so if you have young children, I suggest you ask them to leave the room before clicking on the following pictures.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan

Attachments

• DSCN6271.JPG
    DSCN6271.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 88
  • DSCN6272.JPG
    DSCN6272.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 85
Your depth posts Should Be Steel, not Aluminum

Granberg doesn’t show any back order status on the Extended Depth Posts, their website shows the capacity at 34” of depth, well beyond what you need, at least for THIS project

Granberg Extended Depth Posts

Nose End part # 0792F36

Thrust End part # 0791F36

Price. $45.00 each

I believe that these come Depth Posts ONLY, you will have to rob the clamps and bolts for each end, and the nose guard off your existing depth posts.

Granberg does offer the bolts, clamps and nose guard separately, but I didn’t look up prices or part #’s for those, but they are available if you want complete extended depth bar assemblies

I have had Excellent Luck and Service ordering from Granberg in the past, but it has been awhile

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Bryan
You’re Welcome Bryan, I have ordered all sorts of add ons and spare parts from Granberg. It has been awhile, I don’t know if they are facing long delays currently, but I have always been very Happy with the service that I have gotten from Granberg. I would give them a call, and see what they say about shipping times

Granberg
(800) 233-6499
(925) 380-9400

Monday-Friday
9:00-4:30 PT

Doug

Bryan , if you find Granberg can't ship the depth posts within your timeframe let me know, as I have a set from Granberg that have never been used. I've been meaning to list them.

Hi Leeroy,

I tried to PM you, but was unable to for reasons unknown.

Please PM me when you have a minute.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone for the replies,

Bryan

Hi all,

I have a Granberg MKIII (I think) mill I've been using for around a decade. I primarily mill softwoods for timber framing that are longer than 16', as many mills around here don't like to mill over 16', and when they do, the bd/ft price goes up considerably.

I have to mill a few oddballs for a steeple restoration that aren't particularly long (around 14' in length), but they're beefy, 14"x15".

The maximum depth my mill can do is 13", so while I can make these 14x15's, with my current setup, I'd have to make four "First Cuts", which could be a huge pain depending on how twisted the log I'm going to be working with is.

Right now, I'm considering taking my mill to someone who can weld aluminium and having my depth rails extended from 13" to 20".

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. I checked Granberg's website, and didn't see them offering taller depth rails, plus, I have to do this by September, and am a little wary of shipping times right now, as Granberg says they're 5 weeks backordered.

Lastly, I don't know if anyone's covered this before, but I mill with a 288xp, and regarding adjusting chain tension, was tired of either having to take my mill off or having to mess around with a flathead bit & a 1/4" wrench, so I modified a clutch cover off of a 562xp, and it works like a charm. It's ugly as sin, so if you have young children, I suggest you ask them to leave the room before clicking on the following pictures.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan
Like, but no UGLY button

Haha, it's gotten even uglier with use, that red paint flakes off easier than Homelite Super XL-era blue.

Thanks again for all of the replies, and to Leeroy for providing the depth posts.

My 394 uses a 372 clutch cover reversed and cut the front half off to clear the clutch, but I like the side adjustor feature when milling. But it's pretty,,,,, ah pretty ugly and pretty sure to stay that way .

When did Granberg quit making the three roller model with the two big rollers on the saw end? I think I got mine in 1975 and it still works fine. The downside is the very long threaded rod on each end for depth of cut adjustment. That is a PITA.... the new ones with clamps are much nicer.
God bless

You said "When did Granberg quit making the three roller model with the two big rollers on the saw end? I think I got mine in 1975 and it still works fine. The downside is the very long threaded rod on each end for depth of cut adjustment. That is a PITA.... the new ones with clamps are much nicer.
God bless"

If this is what you have it is not Granberg. (see Pict) It is a Sperber one of the first ones. Works great, but I have not been able to find the belts that adjust up and down with one handle. It had two models one for single saw 24 inches and one for dual saws 3 feet wide. I have to adjust separately. It went out of Business but used to be in a number of old woodworking mags on chainsaw milling.

Attachments

• WP_20161113_10_39_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161113_10_39_18_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Close, but it says Granberg. I have the receipt and correspondence from the old man....... he was a good chap.

Now I am confused as hell. It says Granberg, I got it from them in Kalifornia.....but the photo matches the Sperber from my old Whole Earth Catalog that we bought it from. Never dealt with New Jersey though, only with Granberg. Did they sell Sperber for a time? Got this in November of 1974......
Confused...... anyhow, it works great. It came with the little Granberg edger as well... more research and looking for old invoice.
Thanks!!

Now I am confused as hell. It says Granberg, I got it from them in Kalifornia.....but the photo matches the Sperber from my old Whole Earth Catalog that we bought it from. Never dealt with New Jersey though, only with Granberg. Did they sell Sperber for a time? Got this in November of 1974......
Confused...... anyhow, it works great. It came with the little Granberg edger as well... more research and looking for old invoice.
Thanks!!
I know the company did not make the bars or the saws. I still have the original invoice I will also check. I got it from a barn find when buying a Bandsaw from the person who purchased the house and barn. He never used any of it. What size is yours and what do you run it with?

Back