Milling with new 592XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkduval6

Reaction score
Hi all, been lurking and learning for a while now, but would love some opinions from those more experienced with Alaskan milling than I am. I recently bought a new Husky 592 to replace an old 394 (I bought used) that was giving me fits. Question is, how long to wait before I start milling with it. The guy at the shop - who did indeed seem knowledgable about saws, but not sure about milling experience - said to run 5-7 tank through it first before starting to mill. Wondering if that jives with what the thinking of other Alaska millers on here or if he's just being overly cautious.

Wouldn't be too much of an issue, except I have a nice hard maple I dropped and is likely going to be rotting through if I don't get to is soon (although it is on stickers and the ends of my 12' sections are sealed). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Don't know about Huskies but a senior Stihl Engineer told me that their modern saws are designed to run at WOT straight out of the box. However that was cross cutting not milling so when I got my new 880 I ran 5 tanks through it cutting firewood. You could also easily emulate firewood cutting while milling by milling a couple of narrow logs in short bursts. Supplying more than usual B&C oil via a good Aux Oiler will help.

Don't know about Huskies but a senior Stihl Engineer told me that their modern saws are designed to run at WOT straight out of the box. However that was cross cutting not milling so when I got my new 880 I ran 5 tanks through it cutting firewood. You could also easily emulate firewood cutting while milling by milling a couple of narrow logs in short bursts. Supplying more than usual B&C oil via a good Aux Oiler will help.
Thanks Bob, great idea. Thinking I'll do the top layers with the 592, stopping and letting it idle fairly frequently. Try to do the bulk of the work with the 394 after that until I get several tanks through the new saw.

If it was me, I'd run it WOT while milling and go to idle every 10 seconds or so, until I had the several tanks of fuel through it.

Also, I always break my new Husky saws in, using Husky fuel, that way there's no fuel complaint if there happens to be a warr. issue.

SR

Back