Mini mill question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binthewoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a mini mill to use along with a regular Alaskan mill in order to cut more dimensional lumber vs slabs. My question is can I use the mini mill to cut only a portion of the way into a log, say 4-5” them use the Alaskan after a few of those cuts to make 4x4’s? Or is the mini mill only meant to cut all the way through a log like for edging?
I’ve got a large white pine that fell in a storm that I’m practicing on with the hope to cut enough wood for an enclosed deer stand. Thanks!

While I'm fairly sure what you're suggesting will work, the more efficient way would be to slab the tree, restack the slabs to the thickness of your edging mill, fix em together at the ends, & then use the edging mill to cut multiple boards at a time.
Alternatively you could do a much better job of what you are suggesting with a track saw or circular saw with a guide/fence if you have power where you are working

By this I assume you will be cutting with just the end of the bar? If so you'll find it more difficult to use as the saw will be even more top heavy and not to mention the rapidly moving exposed chain above the cut. Its easier to do what JD describes and the you will have better control of the saw.

I just bought a mini mill to use along with a regular Alaskan mill in order to cut more dimensional lumber vs slabs. My question is can I use the mini mill to cut only a portion of the way into a log, say 4-5” them use the Alaskan after a few of those cuts to make 4x4’s? Or is the mini mill only meant to cut all the way through a log like for edging?
I’ve got a large white pine that fell in a storm that I’m practicing on with the hope to cut enough wood for an enclosed deer stand. Thanks!
It can be done using both mills. I drilled my mini mills bar with one inch increments. You will need to also drill your mill clamp so you can use those holes drilled in your bar.
Once you have adjusted your bar depth/with, mill the length of your log or slab. Then adjust your Alaskan mill and mill you dimensional lumber. I had one log I milled 2x4’s five across. j-

It can be done using both mills. I drilled my mini mills bar with one inch increments. You will need to also drill your mill clamp so you can use those holes drilled in your bar.
Once you have adjusted your bar depth/with, mill the length of your log or slab. Then adjust your Alaskan mill and mill you dimensional lumber. I had one log I milled 2x4’s five across. j-
You could take your 1-1/2” to 2” slabs and cut them to 3-12” to 4” with a track saw.

Hey 820, you disappeared for a while, and I haven't been checking in here much. Good to see you back.
Yeah, just doing other things. I’ve been using all the slabs I milled for various projects. With three grandsons we always have projects.
My brother/I have been restoring/racing vintage TransAm and SCCA racecars. Still doing milling when possible.
F2C13D00-5917-45EF-858D-B96006D266BE.jpeg

Yeah, just doing other things. I’ve been using all the slabs I milled for various projects. With three grandsons we always have projects.
My brother/I have been restoring/racing vintage TransAm and SCCA racecars. Still doing milling when possible.
View attachment 957691
My next question was if you were still playing with the Mustangs. My 68 Cuda Formula S Convertible was scheduled to be restored by Bucky Hess a year ago, then Covid got in the way. Bucky is a Super Stock Hemi Cuda owner/driver.

My next question was if you were still playing with the Mustangs. My 68 Cuda Formula S Convertible was scheduled to be restored by Bucky Hess a year ago, then Covid got in the way. Bucky is a Super Stock Hemi Cuda owner/driver.
My brother/I have been restoring various cars. We did a 1965 B-production SCCA Fastback Mustang before the pandemic hit. We have raced at the Carson City Hill Climb and a couple of vintage races including the Rolex Al Laguna Seca.
Also did a 67 Dodge Coronet 440 that now has a 440. 68 Nova drag pac car. Currently restoring or dads 1955 F100 that dad bought from the company that built Candlestick Park. Yep, been busy. j-

Attachments

• 1FC25F2B-BCD7-4DF9-A2DC-FFC670D2FDFE.jpeg
    1FC25F2B-BCD7-4DF9-A2DC-FFC670D2FDFE.jpeg
    757.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A8BF4FBB-4BF7-4988-A68F-C4457F162BCE.jpeg
    A8BF4FBB-4BF7-4988-A68F-C4457F162BCE.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
Back