Mini Tree Service Saw 40cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two Project saws for light felling and brush processing from trimming.

The CS400, with a 16" bar, 3/8 pico, but otherwise stock: Reliable as a rock, cheap to own and run. Easy to dress up the chain if something gets hit (especially with skip 3/8 pico). Never afraid to cut off stumps right at the dirt due to bar and chain cost. Negatives: Cuts slow, even with a sharp chain.

I have a Husqvarna 340: 16" bar, 325 chain. Cuts way faster than the Echo. Similar fuel economy and weight but way better performance. Negatives: The oiler has gone out and I absolutely cannot figure out why. All passages are clear, the bar is correct and husqvarna branded, no excess wear on the oiler components. I'm familiar with the eccentric drive pin that falls out on some versions of their saws and this doesn't seem to have that design. No flow and totally stumped.

Which of the two saws would you put truck for paying work?

Muff mod, carb tune on the CS400, or tear apart the oiler on the 340 for the N-th time?

Just the standard stuff. Muffler mod and tune. When she cleans up in the cut it sounds like a buzz saw! They have great oilers also. All this at 13.5 lbs ready to go.

Bolt a 346XP top end on the 340.
Have you checked the plastic drive pinion for the oiler? & pulled the oil pickup line out to check the strainer etc?

The really only complaint I have with the cs400 is after the m/m is the noise. Seams to be a little LOUD!!
Not to bad for $299 though

The noise and the warranty (now long expired) kept me from modding the CS400. It was nice because it is the quietest saw I own and I could work with people around/ground crew without hearing protection and they would not be bothered by the noise nearly as much as other saws. The performance has just become more and more of an issue recently, it may wake back up cleaning the carbon out of the muffler, but if it's apart it's going to get modded, very likely.

JD that sounds great, I really looked at that very thing pretty hard. Thought the top end went out when I got the saw, but the clutch had just grenaded and locked up. When looking at the 346xp top end, I didn't really see a benefit displacement wise and probably would have put in the 350 top end, instead. I didn't understand the draw of the 346xp.

When looking at the 346xp top end, I didn't really see a benefit displacement wise and probably would have put in the 350 top end, instead. I didn't understand the draw of the 346xp.
The 346 top end will give you about 10% more power than the 350 due to improved porting/timing etc

J D, hard to quantify that when you're just looking at cubes alone, I guess.

The CS400 failed me on the jobsite yesterday, the pull start rope broke off right at the handle. :( Looks like a perfect opportunity to pull the limiter caps and play with the muffler on it.

The CS280E climbing saw saved the day, and I got a lesson in slow cuts.

Latest posts

Back