Misleading seed company

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220727_180949.jpgmuddstopper that's your corn on the rightIMG_20220727_180913.jpgokra in the foreground

IMG_20220727_180901.jpgyour beans on the right many thanks for seed sharing

View attachment 1006387muddstopper that's your corn on the rightView attachment 1006392okra in the foreground

View attachment 1006389your beans on the right many thanks for seed sharing
My corn is silking now so I should have something to eat in a couple weeks. We have been picking beans for a couple of weeks now. I got caught by a lot of wet weather and was late getting everything out. Had to replant beans and corn a couple times, birds, but finally got a stand. Okra has been slow, but its turning it on now so I should have plenty.

Do keep in mind that all you urban and suburban dwellers have to understand that in order for ANY seed to be certified, it must germ at 90% or better. I buy my seed in 50 pound bags from either Wilbur Ellis or the local to me certified corn and soybean grower. If it don't germ at 90% or better it cannot be certified, USDA rule. My corn and soybean seed comes inoculated with herbicide / pesticide already applied to the kernels.

Lets hope not in as much as I purchase it in 500 pound lots Not the family garden...lol
I would think in that amount you would seriously try to secure your own seed from your crops vs buying thousands of dollars in seeds for each planting, one crop could cover the cost of the diesel used to plant it.

Good thought but don't work that way. Seed corn is mechanically removed from whole cobs via tumbling, air dried down to less than 10%, inoculant coated and then bagged. Takes a lot of big machinery to do that, plus, it's certified by the grower to germ at 95% or better. Seed corn is grown in staggered rows with 3 rows de-tassled and one row tasseled. It's important not to allow it to fully mature or the germ rate drops off appreciably. You don't combine it, you use a very specialized harvester to pick the entire cob. Called a Pixall if you want to look it it. Have a huge grower right down the road with probably a couple million buck operation. Stripped cobs go for animal bedding, nothing is wasted and the air drying process removes all the chaff and fines as well I don't want to pay for chaff and fines, just certified seed. One advantage of having them real close is, The seed has to be germ tested every 90 days in their lab and if it drops below 95% it cannot be sold and either has to go to a landfill or to my barn. I get skids of off grade seed corn every year that I burn in my biomass stoves so I have free heat in the house and in my shop. They have a huge warehouse that is usually full of seed corn and soybeans. All computer packaged by variety, skidded and put in the warehouse. Been burning off grade seed corn for years now. No wood stoves here, none wanted.

I hope you are not saving your corn
I have corn seed saved that I can trace back to 1938. Got a field full growing now. Cant really call it a field, more like a garden plott. anyways. All corn was genetically modified from the grass it started out from. I have no problem with the cross pollination breeding done to develope corn. Now when it comes to gene splicing, and adding animal genes to plants is where I draw the line. I dont plant roundup ready corn and stay away from those super sweet hybrids.I also dont plant different types fo corn in the same field. Growing white polific and pencil cob this year.

Good thought but don't work that way. Seed corn is mechanically removed from whole cobs via tumbling, air dried down to less than 10%, inoculant coated and then bagged. Takes a lot of big machinery to do that, plus, it's certified by the grower to germ at 95% or better. Seed corn is grown in staggered rows with 3 rows de-tassled and one row tasseled. It's important not to allow it to fully mature or the germ rate drops off appreciably. You don't combine it, you use a very specialized harvester to pick the entire cob. Called a Pixall if you want to look it it. Have a huge grower right down the road with probably a couple million buck operation. Stripped cobs go for animal bedding, nothing is wasted and the air drying process removes all the chaff and fines as well I don't want to pay for chaff and fines, just certified seed. One advantage of having them real close is, The seed has to be germ tested every 90 days in their lab and if it drops below 95% it cannot be sold and either has to go to a landfill or to my barn. I get skids of off grade seed corn every year that I burn in my biomass stoves so I have free heat in the house and in my shop. They have a huge warehouse that is usually full of seed corn and soybeans. All computer packaged by variety, skidded and put in the warehouse. Been burning off grade seed corn for years now. No wood stoves here, none wanted.
Old timers used to cut the tassel and walk thru the field brushing it on the silk of each ear to insure good pollination. Never knew anyone that cut the tops out of entire rows of corn. I have seen farmers cut the tassel and feed it as fodder to their cows, but I dont know if they cut staggered rows to do this.

There is a big difference in planting hundreds of acres of corn or other crops and what the normal garden grower does when it comes to planting crops. One ear of corn saved for seed will plant my entire next year corn crop. I can fertilize my whole garden in a matter of minutes instead of spending hours on a tractor pulling big sprayers thru the field. I can harvest my corn by hand and be done before you can get your picker to the field.I have never seen a pixall picker, but the one row corn picker has been around since the days of horse drawn pickers. Those old pickers dont have all those mositure sensors and other electronics measureing and testing the crop, the old farmer did that by eye and by feel. While you and I are both buying seed and planting crops, thats where any similarities in our farming ends. You plant to make money and I plant to eat. I bet the brix in my field corn will beat your brix, altho I never have and probably never will test my corn for brix.

Today's corn varieties are hybrids developed from specific cross pollination. If you were to save the seed you would likely get some nasty looking results. Beans are a different story

Definitely don't save seed from modern hybrids. I plant heirloom corn and saving seed from it is not an issue.

Back