Mixing oil today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What’s the top mixing oil for saws today? I like to buy in bulk and measure out myself as it used to be cheaper but with todays style of business everything is about convenience and trying to idiot proof. (Will never idiot proof) . I ask about 5 years ago and am guessing things have changed now. The mobile 1 I used seemed to smoke less than stihl or husky oil (could have been my imagination). What do you current pros??

Well, I’ll throw in my two cents on the subject. I’m six months in on a one year oil test of sorts. Having said that, based on what I’ve seen so far I’ve made a decision on what oil I’ll be running into the foreseeable future. I’ve run VP, Motul 800 off road, Bel-Ray H1-R, and Castor 927. These oils have been run in a combination of string trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws at 40:1 with 93 octane non ethanol fuel. The one that’s impressed me the most is H1-R. Everything I’ve run it in is beautifully clean inside. Nice residual oil film, minimal carbon buildup on piston and combustion chamber. Spark screens and spark plugs are clean and clear. The VP and Motul oils were also excellent. Castor has superior lubricating properties even over esters but it leaves a fair bit more carbon deposits behind. I have a few more I wanna test but it’s not gonna change anything at this point. H1-R is my choice. Now excuse me while I don my flame suit.

I’m glad you “experts” are happy for another thread. I’ve probably ran a saw more than most of you put together and can probably do trees you’d run from but keep acting like you’re too smart for everyone.

Thanks ballisticdoughnut, atleast someone understands there’s something other than basic mixing oil.

I’m glad you “experts” are happy for another thread. I’ve probably ran a saw more than most of you put together and can probably do trees you’d run from but keep acting like you’re too smart for everyone.

Thanks ballisticdoughnut, atleast someone understands there’s something other than basic mixing oil.

Panties in a bunch?

Golden Spectro

You've been here since 05. You know how it works here.

Little irritated by “cool kids” remarks. Seems any information based forum is the same these days. I’m a member of several and I’ve always tried to help the new guys without trying to belittle whatever they’ve asked. I’m old enough to expect it but sometimes it gets old, older than the questions that are asked over and over.

Low bar decision. Saws run a hard life trying to avoid having trees fall on them, getting backed over by a truck, no oil, general neglect, etc. FWIW I use Stihl Platinum cause it taste good and keeps my cowlick under control when my hat falls off. :yes:

1686100331695.png

Well, I’ll throw in my two cents on the subject. I’m six months in on a one year oil test of sorts. Having said that, based on what I’ve seen so far I’ve made a decision on what oil I’ll be running into the foreseeable future. I’ve run VP, Motul 800 off road, Bel-Ray H1-R, and Castor 927. These oils have been run in a combination of string trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws at 40:1 with 93 octane non ethanol fuel. The one that’s impressed me the most is H1-R. Everything I’ve run it in is beautifully clean inside. Nice residual oil film, minimal carbon buildup on piston and combustion chamber. Spark screens and spark plugs are clean and clear. The VP and Motul oils were also excellent. Castor has superior lubricating properties even over esters but it leaves a fair bit more carbon deposits behind. I have a few more I wanna test but it’s not gonna change anything at this point. H1-R is my choice. Now excuse me while I don my flame suit.
That has been my experience with H1r as well

Little irritated by “cool kids” remarks. Seems any information based forum is the same these days. I’m a member of several and I’ve always tried to help the new guys without trying to belittle whatever they’ve asked. I’m old enough to expect it but sometimes it gets old, older than the questions that are asked over and over.

Been running Golden Spectro since 1970s in bikes and saws, never an oil related failure.

How's that for a "kool kid"?

If they are relevant they are woke, it’s being forced by some of who can make them irrelevant.

Latest posts

Back