mixing ratios for 2 stroke chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, that is what I hoped. Now I wish we could add the lead back in, but the greenies would have a heart attack..... so let's go for it!!
Thanks again,
God bless,
Mike
You really do not want the lead back in! It was bad enough when cars burned it, but a chainsaw user breathes the saw's exhaust at a far higher concentration than motorists do. Lead causes brain damage. Also, today's machines do not need it. They are built of better materials.

It's not logical to hype a home brewed test with poor methodology. In fact this would drive most engineers I know crazy.
What I suggested was sfar from a home brewed test. I suggested tests done on a dyno to keep conditions as constant as possible. And the methodology I suggested was absolutely sound. It is clear that you have no idea what science or engineering are all about.

What I suggested was sfar from a home brewed test. I suggested tests done on a dyno to keep conditions as constant as possible. And the methodology I suggested was absolutely sound. It is clear that you have no idea what science or engineering are all about.
I was referring to your apparent affinity for hacks on youtube...
Dyno testing as you suggest has already been done.

You really do not want the lead back in! It was bad enough when cars burned it, but a chainsaw user breathes the saw's exhaust at a far higher concentration than motorists do. Lead causes brain damage. Also, today's machines do not need it. They are built of better materials.
Hermio, is right. You don't want leaded gas again and as he mentioned you do inhale it while running a saw. No amount of ingested lead is safe.
Although today's saws are not really built with vastly different materials and saw engines never needed leaded gas.

I was referring to your apparent affinity for hacks on youtube...
Dyno testing as you suggest has already been done.
We will have to disagree on whether Todd at Project Farm is a "hack". I find his testing to be very helpful, though I may disagree with some of his methods. But some are extremely quantitative, such as how much torque a wrench can withstand before breaking, how abrasion resistant gloves are, etc.
I have looked for dyno testing specific to oil ratios used in 2-cycle engines, and I was unable to find a detailed study of the subject in the manner I suggested. All I wa able to find was studies that concluded certain oils met ASTM standards even at 100:1, but they did not examine effect on power or long-term wear.

Hermio, is right. You don't want leaded gas again and as he mentioned you do inhale it while running a saw. No amount of ingested lead is safe.
Although today's saws are not really built with vastly different materials and saw engines never needed leaded gas.
Biggest difference in automotive engines is the use of hard-surfaced valves, so they do not need the lubricity afforded by lead oxide.

Biggest difference in automotive engines is the use of hard-surfaced valves, so they do not need the lubricity afforded by lead oxide.
Lead was never a lubricant. The oxide it laid down on the valve seat and face acted as a cushion to prevent the seats from getting hammered.
Two strokes never needed this and saws have always been low compression engines so lead is of zero benefit to them.

We will have to disagree on whether Todd at Project Farm is a "hack". I find his testing to be very helpful, though I may disagree with some of his methods. But some are extremely quantitative, such as how much torque a wrench can withstand before breaking, how abrasion resistant gloves are, etc.
I have looked for dyno testing specific to oil ratios used in 2-cycle engines, and I was unable to find a detailed study of the subject in the manner I suggested. All I wa able to find was studies that concluded certain oils met ASTM standards even at 100:1, but they did not examine effect on power or long-term wear.
There was an SAE paper written sometime in the late 70's to early 80's. I no longer have a copy of such.
There has been writing on the subject by experts like Jennings(who ran a dyno test using a suzuki motorcycle), Bell and others. They all have came to the same conclusion. More oil makes more power and lessens wear. Air cooled Karts using Yamaha KT-100 engines frequently run at 16:1 and I have inspected those engines. If tuned right they are very clean.
Most any two cycle oil will not cause an immediate failure if used at 100:1. Negative effects are chronic and not acute in nature.
ASTM hasn't had an updated two cycle oil standard since the 80's. It was known as API TC. Long absolete and recently withdrawn completely. JASO and ISO have newer two cycle "air cooled" oil standards that came about in the late 90's. JASO FD and ISO EGD. The NMMA has TCW3 for marine engines that was last updated around the same time.

Leaded gasoline was used because of other reasons in 4 stroke engines! And lead was released in air,lead did acumulated in bodies,especially brain ,reducing IQ, esentially dumbing anyone down over time!
2 stroke gas engines( not 2 stroke diesels) need a synthetic high temperature high revs oil that can still maintain a protecting film in between engine parts! There are quite a few synthetic good oil manufacturers around! No need for lead in gasoline, AGAIN... 🤕🤔

Stihl manuals used to say something along the lines of mix 50:1 with Stihl oil and 25:1 with all other brands. My biggest thing about oil and home owners seem to think that it’s magic in a bottle the oil will mix at the ratio on the bottle into whatever amount of gas is in the can.

You got it Ol buddy. Any mix is how ya tune it.
I’ve mixed 10:1 in an outboard……..per brass plate. 30 wt non detergent
An oil thread is a Chevy/ford/dodge thing.
People can voice an opinion.
Few if anybody has had their mind changed.

If you started a thread on whose mind had been changed by an Oil Thread…….it would become an oil thread. Lol

There was a thread years ago about how you shouldn’t drop start a saw.

Egos raged!!!!!

I started a Paul Harvey thread”The Rest Of The Story…….”
“Who has been injured drop starting a saw………short thread.

Most people think of their response instead of what the poster is saying.

Most. …….not all.
Have a good one Ol Buddy.

I think I am going to try some Amsoil.. Ninety percent of what I mix ends up dumped in a 55 gallon drum, but I do cut a little firewood and cleanup around the fields.
That’s just a waste of fuel. My old mix gets dumped in one of the trucks a couple litres of mix into a tank that’s half full doesn’t make much difference.

You got it Ol buddy. Any mix is how ya tune it.
I’ve mixed 10:1 in an outboard……..per brass plate. 30 wt non detergent
An oil thread is a Chevy/ford/dodge thing.
People can voice an opinion.
Few if anybody has had their mind changed.

If you started a thread on whose mind had been changed by an Oil Thread…….it would become an oil thread. Lol

There was a thread years ago about how you shouldn’t drop start a saw.

Egos raged!!!!!

I started a Paul Harvey thread”The Rest Of The Story…….”
“Who has been injured drop starting a saw………short thread.

Most people think of their response instead of what the poster is saying.

Most. …….not all.
Have a good one Ol Buddy.
If most guys would just run a real deal Jaso FC or FD certified oil, tune their saw properly and run sharp chain they would be better off.
No boat oil/stihl oil/scammer oils that claim their oil "meets", no rocked out chains, carb tuning every time the saw is run, etc.
I still believe 32:1 is cheap insurance with no down sides..

That’s just a waste of fuel. My old mix gets dumped in one of the trucks a couple litres of mix into a tank that’s half full doesn’t make much difference.
Recycler gonna come get it anyway. Most of it is not my equipment, but something I am working on.
Find some strange stuff in the bottom of tanks. I put it in to slosh around and get the crap out.

This pampered 066 has thousands of hard working hrs on it.
Believe it or not oils main job is preventing metal to metal contact if I had saws with worn thin piston skirts that's an oil problem to little or the oil is crap.

View attachment 1035314View attachment 1035315View attachment 1035316View attachment 1035317

You be careful posting all these pics with fines in carb throats and dust packed in every orifice..... the keyboard warriors will be suggesting you go buy a 2 in 1 tool! :drinkingcoffee:

You be careful posting all these pics with fines in carb throats and dust packed in every orifice..... the keyboard warriors will be suggesting you go but a 2 in 1 tool! :drinkingcoffee:
Maybe an air compressor to blow his saw out every now and then.

Back