mixing ratios for 2 stroke chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe an air compressor to blow his saw out every now and then.

Mate, have you seen the size of Australia? How little of it is populated and how little of it has mains power supply?
Would need to be a petrol (gas for you non English speakers) powered compressor and it would just confuse the average Aussie as it is likely to be powered by a 4 stroke engine. ;) :laugh:

Many years ago I always used oregon 2 stroke oil, I believe it was semi synthetic but not 100% sure, it was in 80's. Saw was used regular for limbing (husqvarna 254) very reliable and never any trouble. The saw was stored and not used probably 20 years, started it rabbit cutting some wood and thought it would be a good time to strip it give it a good clean and put a new piston in it just because I had a new one in the box. Took the cylinder off and couldnt believe how good the piston was and a nice coating of oil inside. It was always run 50/1 and looked after. Still use that saw but now with fully synthetic, still runs clean not as much oil inside but no wear. All the talk of this oil is better than that oil makes me think today's oils are much better than years ago but "maybe" the fuel is much worse. I cant remember fuel lines failing anywhere near as fast as they do these days but of course that could be down to the rubber also?
Like a lot of things these days, we are "told" this is best that is best and being gullible humans we all go along with it. If you read its right then it has to be right......right 🤯

Many years ago I always used oregon 2 stroke oil, I believe it was semi synthetic but not 100% sure, it was in 80's. Saw was used regular for limbing (husqvarna 254) very reliable and never any trouble. The saw was stored and not used probably 20 years, started it rabbit cutting some wood and thought it would be a good time to strip it give it a good clean and put a new piston in it just because I had a new one in the box. Took the cylinder off and couldnt believe how good the piston was and a nice coating of oil inside. It was always run 50/1 and looked after. Still use that saw but now with fully synthetic, still runs clean not as much oil inside but no wear. All the talk of this oil is better than that oil makes me think today's oils are much better than years ago but "maybe" the fuel is much worse. I cant remember fuel lines failing anywhere near as fast as they do these days but of course that could be down to the rubber also?
Like a lot of things these days, we are "told" this is best that is best and being gullible humans we all go along with it. If you read its right then it has to be right......right 🤯
Things of that era were more or less of domestic production....not like today.....made in PRC.....

Here in EU in the 80s if you saw stamp/label on thing "made in WEST Germany" you could be sure that that thing will outlive you :)

Stihl manuals used to say something along the lines of mix 50:1 with Stihl oil and 25:1 with all other brands. My biggest thing about oil and home owners seem to think that it’s magic in a bottle the oil will mix at the ratio on the bottle into whatever amount of gas is in the can.
And Toyota manuals used to say change the oil at 10,000 and the filter at 20,000. Lol

I am a union construction electrician and here is what I know.
When a engineer makes a mistake it is called a revision but when I make a mistake it is called a F//k Up.
I learned early in the trade that one Oh F//k wipes out twenty Atta Boys.
Kash
As an engineer, I have been told I f'ed up a few times.

The pump fuels are atrocious , you have to be selective !

I think they say 50:1 if you use Ultra, 25:1 otherwise, which is admittedly a dubious statement.
They may say that on some models. My MS500i manual says 50:1; no mention of other ratios. They also say to dump the fuel after 30 days unless using Stihl Ultra. I go 6-9 months sometimes, but I add StaBil to the fuel. Might be unnecessary with some oils. Stihl also says 10% ethanol is OK, but not more. I do not have any stations that sell ethanol-free fuel around here, but I have not had fuel problems in the last 40 years.

If most guys would just run a real deal Jaso FC or FD certified oil, tune their saw properly and run sharp chain they would be better off.
No boat oil/stihl oil/scammer oils that claim their oil "meets", no rocked out chains, carb tuning every time the saw is run, etc.
I still believe 32:1 is cheap insurance with no down a friend at work wh
Gimme the saw.
I clean it and the filter and grease the bearing and grind the chain.
If most guys would just run a real deal Jaso FC or FD certified oil, tune their saw properly and run sharp chain they would be better off.
No boat oil/stihl oil/scammer oils that claim their oil "meets", no rocked out chains, carb tuning every time the saw is run, etc.
I still believe 32:1 is cheap insurance with no down sides..
if a friend at work has a dull chain I’ll grind it. They are friends.
But I say “bring in the saw”
Gets cleaned. Filter cleaned…..some are…..you know. And grease the clutch bearings.

They use it and think I did a tune up or something…..

Sharp chain……sharp chain. Soon as they start to dull. Bring it in!!!!!

I use 40:1 ……Dean, Brad and Randy suggested it.
They ported my saws……

Latest posts

Back